↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Farm Quad Bike advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
Farm Quad Bike advice please
Hi, we have in the last 3 weeks moved from Oxfordshire to Exmoor and would like a farm quad, currently we are using our car to go a couple of miles to our friends farm and feel that a quad would really work for us, there are approx 4 quad bikes and 1 Honda pioneer in the small village we live in and they are all Honda, I must admit Honda would be my first choice due to reliability, I was wondering if you guys have any and if so what are your thoughts on them and ownership, hopefully we would have a 4wd but I see they also do 2wd I’d be very interested to hear your opinions on them, our budget is quite tight due to moving into a beautiful old cottage that requires work Thumbs Up cheers Paul
Post #1035065 18th May 2024 7:20am
Phillywilly72

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tamar Blue
Find yourself a well looked after Suzuki king quad. Old and cheap now but they have limited electronics to go wrong so you can fix things if they ever go wrong.
Post #1035068 18th May 2024 8:00am
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Best mate had a Yamaha, never had any problems.

Worth checking Farmers Weekly they do write ups, also The Farming Forum and The Stalking Directory, plenty opinions on these. Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #1035069 18th May 2024 8:04am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I suggest you pop over to Wheddon Cross and talk to Ark ATVs. They usually have a good selection of new and pre-owned machines and offer good advice and support.
Post #1035100 18th May 2024 4:54pm
Barneyboy

Thank you all for the above advice, it’s very much appreciated, I was speaking to one of the owners today and he suggested ark atv, wheddon cross that is about 3 miles away so I will head over there and see what they have, he also advised that they are very knowledgeable and will find what I want if they don’t have one in stock Thumbs Up cheers Paul
Post #1035109 18th May 2024 5:31pm
boode

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
I’ve used quads on my farm for 20 plus years - now run two Hondas due to reliability and resale values - always purchase from Ark
Post #1035119 18th May 2024 8:34pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Re: Farm Quad Bike advice please
Barneyboy wrote:
Hi, we have in the last 3 weeks moved from Oxfordshire to Exmoor and would like a farm quad, currently we are using our car to go a couple of miles to our friends farm and feel that a quad would really work for us, there are approx 4 quad bikes and 1 Honda pioneer in the small village we live in and they are all Honda, I must admit Honda would be my first choice due to reliability, I was wondering if you guys have any and if so what are your thoughts on them and ownership, hopefully we would have a 4wd but I see they also do 2wd I’d be very interested to hear your opinions on them, our budget is quite tight due to moving into a beautiful old cottage that requires work Thumbs Up cheers Paul

I deliver quad bike training and have operated most flavours of quads over the years so here's my three pennies worth;

Different brands and bikes do different things well, we run a Suzuki King Quad 500 because it's a good compromise of power/size/towing capacity and user friendliness. The other big thing that I like is that they aren't a hugely tall frame, which makes them more stable on steep ground than some of the other larger alternatives.

Honda machines are renowned for reliability, I'd tend to agree that the footshift manual versions are mechanically robust, however the designs are well behind others and parts are expensive. They don't do any belt drive machines which some folk see as a bonus, but the good modern belt driven machines (Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki,Can Am) perform well and do have decent engine braking, which some of the less sophisticated older style CVT machines don't. Also- be mindful of the towing capacity of the Hondas- those with swing-arn type rear suspension are very limited both in towing weight and nose weight.

I'm not a fan of most of the Polaris machines, their more modern ones are better- but still some way behind Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda.

One of your biggest factors need to be what dealers are near you- if you don't have a dealer relatively close at hand it's a pain if you need any bits or if you aren't going to service it yourself.

If I were spending my own money, it would 100% either be on a Suzuki or a Yamaha machine.

You must also bear in mind how the machine is registered, if it's on Agricultural entitlement as opposed to PLG you are on a bit of sticky wicket if you intend to use it to just potter about (rather than for agricultural or forestry use) and use it on road, also most (all agricultural reg ones.....) are only single seat.

If you are going to be going up and down the road.....they have a fixed rear axle so the handling isn't great, and expect to wear rear tyres rapidly.

Whatever you do, please get some training and wear a helmet- the machines have a poor reputation for operators getting injured for good reason. I had it mentioned to me by a colleague who consults with the HSE that over the couple of months either side of Christmas there had been 2 fatalities and a life-changing injuries incident involving quads in agriculture.

Happy to help- if you have any other queries drop me a message.

Chris Putt
Post #1035132 18th May 2024 10:33pm
Barneyboy

Hi, Thank you for everyone’s advice, it is very much appreciated, I will take everything on board and have a discussion with the good lady Thumbs Up cheers Paul
Post #1035139 19th May 2024 8:33am
Barneyboy

Hi, just thought I’d update you guys,
we did buy ourselves a quad, we got the same model as our friends who farm a couple of miles away it’s a few years older but it does what we need, we bought it from Ark ATV as recommended and they were great to deal with Thumbs Up its a 2010 Honda TRX250TM 2wd it’s been well looked after and Ark did a full service and it’s got 4 new tyres Thumbs Up cheers Paul

Click image to enlarge
Post #1038716 29th Jun 2024 4:31pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Very nice. Thumbs Up

Around my way UTV’s are used quite a lot. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1038732 29th Jun 2024 8:04pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
They were the first quads I used at work, handy little machines.

Make sure you keep on top of maintenance and they last really well, if used off road a lot they are hard on the swingarm bearings- keeping the brakes in good order can be difficult if used on wet ground regularly too.

Chris
Post #1038733 29th Jun 2024 8:05pm
Barneyboy

Thank you for the Thumbs Up and for the heads up regarding maintenance I'll make sure I keep a close eye on the swing arm bearings and brakes too Thumbs Up cheers Paul
Post #1038754 30th Jun 2024 8:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1