Home > Puma (Tdci) > Recent Puma owner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jim4244

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Recent Puma owner
Hi all

I picked up a 2007 2.4 Defender 90 TDCi a few months ago. I wasn’t really looking for one as I already my trusty 300Tdi Ron. However the person selling was a friend of a friend who is emigrating and they were desperate to sell.

After an uneventful drive home I was left slightly underwhelmed as it was way too comfortable to be a proper Defender, especially with the Lucari leather front seats. It was parked on the drive and put under a car cover while I decided what to do. I drove it occasionally just to keep things lubricated and the battery charged and gradually found myself driving it more and more. Eventually I bit the bullet and sold Ron, the 300Tdi..

Yesterday I had to go on a 300 mile trip and fuelled up my L322 Range Rover in readiness. My wife suggested that I took the “new” Defender. I paused, as I would probably not have taken Ron, and then thought “what the hell..”

300 miles of driving in relative comfort with the novelty of being able to hear the radio while cruising at 65/70mph. I used just over half a tank of fuel and had many admiring glances along the way. The only downside is that there is no A/C but driving with the windows down has always been part of the Defender experience.

So, did I make the right decision swapping from a 300Tdi to a 2.4 Puma? Only time will tell but I do think that I now have a much more useable everyday Defender. They are a completely different vehicles to maintain and to travel in but the Puma, I feel, could be an everyday drive.

I’m still on the lookout for a decent Wolf for desert expeditions so I’ve not gone completely to the dark side 😁

Jim
Post #1038605 28th Jun 2024 9:25am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Mine's been an everyday drive for 15 years and 275,000 miles! Thumbs Up
Post #1038610 28th Jun 2024 10:02am
AJC

United Kingdom 
i think i could use one every day but after becoming complacent with my D300 D5 i think i'd struggle.

did used to use the 110 a lot, now barely doing 1500 mile a year, and when it does come out its for a good road trip.
Post #1038611 28th Jun 2024 10:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1