Home > Off Topic > Learning CAD
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ianb

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alaska White
Learning CAD
Hey all,
A long time ago I dabbled in AutoCAD (I think it was) as part of a project, and can't recall a single thing.

I'm wanting to expand my horizons, learn new skills (especially transferable ones as I'm feeling a tad stagnant at the moment). Can anyone recommend a software or what not on which would be a decent platform to learn/tinker?

I don't think I'm after the tools for redesigning the Thames flood gates at this stage, but equally I hope to avoid the equivalent of microsoft paint Laughing The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/yetithedefender/
Post #1038222 23rd Jun 2024 8:00pm
NoLimits

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Havana
I use Sketchup mainly because there is a free online version and there are lots of really helpful videos on how to use it.

The downside is that you soon outgrow the free version and I’ve ended up buying the desktop version
Post #1038225 23rd Jun 2024 8:46pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I’m not sure what programs there is, but usually they come as free Apps that are next to useless and then need to be paid for before they are even of any use at all.
Much like Photoshop and these subscription kind of things that come with them.

My gripe is, there are so many updates and changes to these programs it’s near impossible to learn how they work and keep up to date, go back to it a few months later and it’s a very different program after updates.

I would imagine you are looking for an Engineering Design App, there is quite a lot you can do to create files for laser cutting tables, 3D printers and things like that kind of thing.
Some of these things do cost mega money though, especially things like laser cutting tables and production equipment. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1038227 23rd Jun 2024 9:49pm
Ianb

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alaska White
To be honest, I'm open.

I've reached a point where I want to have more to my toolbelt so that when (rather than if) I decide to have a career change, I can offer something.. I'm currently feeling a little lacking really.

Additionally, I do like woodworking as a hobby and I know some programs you can create cutting plans as well as designing things prior to even approaching tools...

Then there is the current world of 3d printing, of which I have no experience with - but who knows, maybe it's for me...

Maybe camper layout designs?

No idea really. The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/yetithedefender/
Post #1038231 23rd Jun 2024 9:55pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
A router table and plexiglass might be a couple of things to think about, the former you can use for plastics and timber, and is a lot more accurate and precise than a handheld router.

HDPE and Nylons you can do a lot with in sheet form, but when it comes to designs and then loading them for automation and programmed cutting is when things are really costly.
There is laser and waterjet cutters, they can do various sheet materials inc metals with programmed files. (There are various types).

But you can of course make your own designs just for visualisation, measurements, reference details and notes and more.

Have a look here at:
AutoDesk.
I think that might give some more details, and might be interesting to read.

Regards 3D printing, there are quite a lot of interesting options there and prices for the printers can be reasonable, but I think the quality of the production can be difficult to master and cheaper equipment probably effects the end result too. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 23rd Jun 2024 11:02pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #1038233 23rd Jun 2024 10:49pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
FreeCAD gets good reviews.
Post #1038234 23rd Jun 2024 10:57pm
DuncanS

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I've always used Sketchup 2017, but recently I found I could get a full version of Sketchup 2024 Pro (and layout) with a charity license which has been incredibly useful and significantly cheaper than the full version. I tried escaping the sketchup ecosystem to go towards something more commonly used, but I could never get my head around it so sticking with Sketchup.

The biggest thing I use it for is knocking out plan drawings of layouts in the real world, such as exhibition stands, network cabinets, buildings and home projects etc as it enables other people to understand things that go around my brain at 100mph! North Cumbria Search and Rescue - Team Leader
Post #1038238 23rd Jun 2024 11:26pm
Mother superior

United Kingdom 
I do a bit of 3D printing for my hobby and I've found AutoCad Fusion 360 pretty good and you can blag a freebee if you register as a student, however it comes with a few limitations like storage capacity but at my level it works out pretty well and I don't really need the full package.

Wes Oh woe, oh woe
My crusty old landrover,
It will not go.
Post #1038250 24th Jun 2024 8:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1