Home > In Car Electronics > Android head unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Phil68

United Kingdom 
Android head unit
Hi guys,

I'm struggling to find a double din android car play that will fit my landrover defender 110 2003 td5. I've also looked a single din retractable ones.

Also thinking about new speakers.

Any recommendations please?

Pictures would be great 👍

Thanks
Post #1037815 18th Jun 2024 8:14pm
Puddings 3112

I went with the Mudstuff TD5 double din conversion unit and then went with the JVC head unit they used to sell - needed some fiddling with a dremel for a good fit but looks good now. The only real trouble I had was that Android Auto requires the parking brake over ride to allow you to have the functionality work correctly.
For speakers, I have put a sub in, audioson dash top tweeters and 4 inch speakers in the front (I have a 90 HT)
Sound proofing and carpets helped improve the sound quality as well - I can happily listen to podcasts at motorway speeds
Post #1037826 18th Jun 2024 9:39pm
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
I have the Kenwood version of the JVC head unit mentioned above. It's great because it is a shallow fit, loads of room behind for the wiring. The hand brake override is a simple case of crimping on a ring terminal and attaching the hand brake sensing wire to the metal case of the head unit. I also have the reversing camera for this unit and have repurposed some Discover II steering wheel stereo remote controls onto the Defender steering column as the controls on the head unit are fiddly.

How much you spend on speakers depends on how much soundproofing your vehicle has because we know they are noisy!

In my 110 I have 13cm speakers under the dash, tweeters in the headlining by the top of the A pillar, 10cm in both rear doors (barely audible) and a powered subwoofer under the back seats (best upgrade by far).
Post #1037844 19th Jun 2024 8:55am
Mr.Jimbo

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
I've got an Android unit from Amazon in my 2003 TD5, single DIN so fits the standard trim piece but has a double DIN sized screen - fits nicely beneath the standard row of buttons. The picture on the review section is mine.

As it's Android, you can use a USB OBD2 cable and run TD5diag on the head unit itself, to see coolant temps, injector stats etc which is really handy. The wireless carplay works really well so for £100 I think it's a really good bit of kit. No affiliation to me, but I think it fits in the TD5 dash quite well without being too flashy. The included reverse camera wasn't great (it needed a massive hole drilling to get the cables through) so I replaced that for another £15-20 for a HD one with a much smaller fitting.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CF5DS17F?psc...merReviews
Post #1037985 21st Jun 2024 1:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1