Home > Technical > which coolant??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
falkster

Germany 1988 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Trident Green
which coolant??
hi All,

another question... My '88 One-Ten has a 3.9l V8 fitted (I believe from a '92 Disco).
I read that the V8 are very delicate when it comes to low coolant levels. So I have installed a coolant level alarm to be on the safe side...
But then i asked myself the question: What if the alarm goes off and i need to top-up? Which coolant would I use? the one for the 1988 vehicle, or the one for the 1992 engine? Or would they have used the same anyway to start with? And if so, which one?

Thanks as always for your help. Thumbs Up
Post #1037873 19th Jun 2024 2:30pm
V8Simon

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 90 V8 Petrol SW Auto Arles Blue
I have this bookmark saved - https://www.robisonservice.com/articles/RonR_march2006.php

In the page, they explain as below;

There are three coolants used in Land Rover products.

RTC7601 is traditional green ethylene glycol coolant. It’s used in all older Land Rover models. All Series Land Rovers, all US market Defenders, all Range Rover Classics, and all P38 Range Rovers up to 1999 use this coolant. If you have a 1999 Range Rover and you’re not sure which coolant to use… if the last digits of your VIN are YA444891 or lower, your truck uses ethylene glycol. If your VIN is higher, you should use Dex-Cool.

With the arrival of the Bosch engine management system in the Discovery II and the 1999-½ Range Rover Land Rover changed to Dex-Cool, otherwise known as OAT coolant. Land Rover stocks that coolant under part number LRN 2279. The Freelander models also use OAT.

The 2003 and newer Range Rovers use BMW’s Glysantin G48 coolant. It’s distinctive because it’s bright blue in color. Land Rover sell that as LRNG48.

If your Rover uses Dex-Cool you have to be sure to keep the system full all the time. Running the engine when low on coolant will cause damaging sediments to form. 1984 90 V8 puma want to be.
Post #1037885 19th Jun 2024 5:22pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Nice article. This is what I have learnt

Colour means nothing you need to read the text and often there is not enough information so basically it's tricky. Demineralised water is cheap have a few handy for topping off between coolant changes. Radiators need regular replacement, they are not all that expensive and drop in efficiency till they are simply marginal
Post #1037903 20th Jun 2024 4:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1