↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > Insurance for a CAT D advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Landy49

Insurance for a CAT D advice
I am looking to buy another defender I have seen quite a nice pick up on eBay 2.4 2011 which was a
cat d apparently down to the interior being stolen.

I went on go compare for an insurance quote but they could not give me any insurance cover.

Has anyone had experience having/owning a catD defender if so is it hard to insure and is it a lot more expensive? I am aware that some insurance companies will not insure them can be a premium if it is a Cat vehicle
Or am I best just to keep clear of such vehicles

Many thanks
Post #1037357 13th Jun 2024 8:22pm
shaynecm

United Kingdom 
Try Adrian Flux or NFU for Quotes it being CAT D will add some complication but no more than a modified one.

main issue will be insured value some places you can set a fixed value which i would recommend otherwise you could have issues later on.
Post #1037403 14th Jun 2024 9:46am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Not a defender but I have a Cat S normal car which was repaired by the previous owner. Was amazed when I bought it that multiple insurers dont really care that i has been written off. As long as it is MOTd then they dont even need you to disclose the write off status when you insure it in most cases.

Will just affect the value and any subsequent payout if a claim is made on it in future.

Have insured for 4 years with different companies (from memory, Admiral, Sheila's Wheels and Aviva) and it has not been an issue at all.

Of course that is all on the basis that it has actually been repaired/categorized/registered properly. I did my homework on this vehicle and obtained all of the info on it before viewing. This included a vehicle check which showed all of the damage from when it was sold at salvage auction so I was able to inspect the vehicle to make sure there was no nasty hidden surprises lurking. Only reason I suspect mine was Cat N was that the headlight panel was damaged and this is welded on rather than bolted. There was no structural damage of any kind and even the airbags had not been deployed.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
Post #1037410 14th Jun 2024 11:10am
Teario

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Rioja Red
I have a Cat N 110 which as far as I know is the same as Cat D.

Insured through A-Plan last year, they didn't seem bothered about it. This year insured with Sterling and again it wasn't a problem.

A-plan I was paying about £600 and Sterling I'm paying £550, with other modifications also declared (new interior, new engine, left hand drive conversion, roll cage).
Post #1037805 18th Jun 2024 6:10pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: Insurance for a CAT D advice
Landy49 wrote:
I am looking to buy another defender I have seen quite a nice pick up on eBay 2.4 2011 which was a
cat d apparently down to the interior being stolen.

I went on go compare for an insurance quote but they could not give me any insurance cover.

Has anyone had experience having/owning a catD defender if so is it hard to insure and is it a lot more expensive? I am aware that some insurance companies will not insure them can be a premium if it is a Cat vehicle
Or am I best just to keep clear of such vehicles

Many thanks

I don’t think there is anywhere on Compare the Market to declare a Cat D write off for an insurance quote. How are you not getting any quotes? Are you using the reg number?

From my knowledge Cat D should make little or no difference for insurance.
Post #1037849 19th Jun 2024 10:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1