↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Events > Land Rover Global Gathering 2024 - 3/5May
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Ianb

United Kingdom 
Hey all back from the event, heres the lowdown.

I suppose we should get the negatives out the way as I want to be honest with everyone on here.

I think a lot of the negatives had a bigger impact on others (rather than ourselves) as we are pretty easy going and it was our first ever Land Rover event, so we didn't really know what to expect, and it ticked a lot of our general enjoyment boxes - (camping etc.).

So first thing to note, it may have been lacking in organisation/marshalling compared to other events people had been to before. I'm not sure if this was purposeful or just too much for one man to organise.

There was some hubbub about no signage, no marshalls, no fire point, no first aid point etc, which I can totally understand, but fortunately we personally didn't require anything, so I hadn't really noticed until chatting..
I would say 98% of the attendees were pretty much all doing the same thing. Turned up, picked their pitch, unloaded their set up and were very happy and friendly to show people about their gear, chat to neighbours and passersby and even help out their neighbours (....as in us... when we struggled to light our bbq and our neighbour produced a huge blowtorch Rolling with laughter !!) - Damn, still doing to the postives.....
However there was a 2% of folk depending on your view of things that were perhaps bordering on the anti-social behaviour line - I don't really know as there was no obvious rules in place, but the murmur we heard was less than positive. Nothing unpleasant towards the other attendees, however all the people I spoke to were not so happy with those 2% that were testing their rev limiters, popping, and doing donuts in the soggy grass to the edge of the camp ground.
However as above, there were no clear rules on what was acceptable or not acceptable given to anyone at the start and seemingly no one marshalling behaviour, so I think most attendees were thinking that maybe "common sense" and a "time and a place" mind set might be applicable?
This also continued into the convoy on the actual record attempt, with some breaking the chain and doing donuts... Again, marshalling didn't seem apparent from our limited view of it and no idea if this could have actually scuppered a record attempt had their been enough numbers? But I don't know, they had some impressive trucks and did some static displays to show their capabilities which we enjoyed viewing and a bit of mud always seems fun, I suppose we were told above ground fires to protect grass, as will be used for animals, so blitzing through the field didn't seem compatible with that. Had there been a rule to say it's fine, I'm sure we'd have screamed through the muddy patches ourselves Laughing

Most folk we spoke to, also thought it was a shame there was a lack of parts or land rover merch vendors. Direct 4x4 were sponsors, however they didn't bring any stock (maybe this is normal?) and we spoke to a few overseas travellers who would have very much liked to have bought on the day and taken stuff back with them.

However on the positive side, Direct 4x4 did have their range of roof tents and awnings and what not, all set up for people to look at.

Hunters Nature offroad caravans were also there - first time we'd seen these and had a good snoop, however we aren't currently in the market for these, said so straight away, but the lady at the stall was still happy and wanted us to take a look anyway Laughing

The Landy Bar had some great beer and very reasonably priced for an event bar, but by all accounts they really struggled - which was a great shame.

For us personally, we really had a great time. We were able to choose our pitch, bring our doggo, have a small above ground fire and relax. It helped us work out our own set up as it was the first time we had the roof tent up, the awning and enclosed awning tent thing (bl**dy hell might writing is awful!). We met some wonderful people, made friends, got to chat about our set up to others and chat to others about their set up, learned a lot from people, tips and tricks. We had packed books, wifes arty shtuff, I even brought some whittling tools for "when we get bored" and never got to use any of it, as were far too busy chatting and enjoying company of other campers, telling and hearing their adventures (both land rover and non land rover stories). The weather was great (didn't expect sunshine and got burnt Rolling Eyes ) The portaloos were pretty good Laughing (better than some music festivals we've been too!) First time sleeping in the roof tent etc etc and for us, 3 nights for a little over £40 seemed worth it, but learned from others that many paid nearly double, if not more than that!

Would we go again? If the friends we made go again, then yes. Otherwise probably not, if we had to pay what others were paying, it would be better with a bit more substance. I think it has the potential to be great, but it needs a lot more work to get it into shape and if it runs again next year, then I think it'd maybe be the make or break year for it.

One thing that we really appreciated... the wife left her phone in one of the loos and someone handed it in to the organiser and we had it back within 10 mins! Thank you honest stranger Bow down ! Landy folk are brill! Thumbs Up The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/yetithedefender/

Last edited by Ianb on 8th May 2024 2:53pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #1034062 7th May 2024 2:28pm
Ianb

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

V8 Pick up - Drool!

Click image to enlarge
hmmmm Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html

Last edited by Ianb on 7th May 2024 3:17pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #1034063 7th May 2024 2:29pm
Ianb

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1034065 7th May 2024 2:40pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Thank you, Ianb for some great photos and a more than honest review of the weekend.

The 2 percent you mention, do seem to spoil the day for lots of people. Land Rover ownership is mostly, no, nearly always a friendly old group, and I have noticed that you can spot the one's that are likely to cause a problem from a mile off. I will say no more, but I think most of you know what I mean.

We do the Norfolk Firefighters Charity LR Road run every year. A couple of years back, we started from Pensthorpe Wildfowl Park and the brochure asked that we leave the site quietly because of the risk of disturbing the birds. Yes you can guess there was a 2 percent that just couldn't or wouldn't comply Crying or Very sad

I have also noted since covid, nearly every outside event I have been to has been terribly marshalled. Not sure if this is a sign or increased overheads for the organisers?

There have also been several incidents with Land Rover shows over the last few years of thieving going on, especially over-night and even when the organisers are suppose to have employed security. I wonder if the parts people don't want to take the risk of having stands full of bits. That's a shame because these stalls are the best bits of a show for me.

I'm glad you did meet some interesting decent people and generally had a good time. I don't think I have ever been to a show where I haven't ended up chatting to some great people (and I am generally quite shy and not great a sparking up a conversation usually)

How well attended do you think the event was? I was driving not far from Market Harborough on Saturday, and have to say, didn't see too many Defenders floating around.
Post #1034119 7th May 2024 8:34pm
Ianb

United Kingdom 
Hey Rashers, thanks for the reply.

Quite interesting to know there is a common 2% knocking about. I think the guys were a like minded club and maybe they do behave themselves within rules, but as there were none given, they had free reign.. I'm not too sure, I don't like to be a misery or spoil folks fun but yeh. I wasn't aware of anyone having anything pinched luckily. I think because the event was quite small, you quickly knew your immediate neighbours and I guess it would have been easy to spot odd ones out. Think the Direct 4x4 lot all slept in their roof tents too Laughing , would have been quite the surprise for a would be thief!

Turnout was quite disappointing in terms of records, we needed something like at least 12 rows of 50 ish (prob more) and instead had 5-6 rows (maybe 7 by some folks counting..?) I think again, perhaps if there was a PA system in place we could have had an official number shouted out - seems it was a bit all word of mouth/chinese whispers.. I'd say the camping numbers were maybe a 3rd of who turned up on the day, but marketing should have been a lot better, on the Monday as we left we fuelled up and ended up speaking to someone who owned a Series 2 who lives a short distance away and wasn't aware anything was on otherwise he'd have come.

I think my point about next year being make or break is based on whether or not feedback is listened to. I reckon it has the potential to be a great event, but if there is similar grumbles next year most people will just not bother.

We do like our little participation plaque however Laughing

Click image to enlarge
Post #1034137 7th May 2024 10:51pm
L110CDL

England 
Thank you for the pics and the honest info about the show Thumbs Up

Nice that you had a great time there Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1034343 9th May 2024 9:46pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Great photos and really helpful honest feedback as already said. Really pleased you enjoyed it and let’s hope the feedback is listened to as it has the makings of a great future event.

👍
Post #1034444 11th May 2024 7:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12