↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Parents 200 TDI
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
Thanks for the pic update Procta Thumbs Up

Keep thinking positively and it will happen Whistle 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1031217 10th Apr 2024 9:14pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
There is some good work there in those pics Thumbs Up
Always love to see an old 90 getting its life back Thumbs Up 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1031232 11th Apr 2024 5:47am
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Looking good Procta 👍

You need to get that welcome home banner sorted and the ingredients to bake the cake 😀
Post #1031234 11th Apr 2024 6:52am
Procta

United Kingdom 
They got an estimate of getting Terr back around about the July time, my parents have said, they are going away around about that time, so they are wanting it back way before then. The company who is rebuilding this, stated to my parents they were not happy about the quality of the SP doors. which i have read on here, that some of you lads have had no bother with. So my dad said just put standard doors back on it, as he suspecting that they are spending too much time on daft things, and stringing the rebuild out. They have had this since December, So its close to 6 months. Also god knows what suspension has been put on it. The company stated that your son ( meaning me) would give them in exchange some britpart dampers and springs. I said Censored all about giving them my get me out of jail, and my dad backed me. i did mention i had spares if needed, that was about it. my parents never confirmed anything either. i am not bothered, gets them out of my way, other wise id have sold them on here. Thumbs Up

My buddies have been asking where has the second landy gone, one thought BeaTie had got sold on, he nearly fell of his chair in the pub when i told him what my dad was paying to get Terr sorted out. Laughing Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #1035136 19th May 2024 2:42am
L110CDL

England 
Thanks for the update Procta Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1035622 24th May 2024 9:40pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Been an update on this, but a good one at all. My mam had a phone call about the electrics, the company that is dealing with it, want to do away with the rear washer system, due to the defender not having a rear wiper. They tried to say that it wasn't connected etc, funny thing is, that was one of the very 1st jobs that was done on it, when the bought the landy. It was leaking like hell! and destroyed the original headliner! My dad had routed a full pipe from the motor to the rear jet. So they tried to spin that story. My dad is starting to get very wound up now, i said ok, Lets go up and see how far things are on etc. My dad wanted drop off more stuff, much to my dismay.
Anyway when we went up, they were not expecting us at all. We asked to see how things are getting on, and to me and my dads horror, the land rover is still as it was back in April! Just like the last photo of it with its panels and roof! They have fitted the lights, that's about as far as things have moved. There was a bloke wiring in the heated window screen, i was said we were expecting this to be a lot further onwards like. This fella had been drafted in to sort the electrics out! which should have been sort back at the end of March, April time with this was highlighted, and they are just sorting electrics out now in June! The roof was just placed on, and the engine isn't even piped up! We were told that who was working on this had been sacked for not taking pictures etc. Which is why this fella was drafted in. Laugh was the wiring that they were not sure about was the ISO radio loom! and the Boomslang loom, the head lights! ( caught the company owner out with that! she said never heard of that at all or had a problem) I said its well documented on the forum, and that there are two companies that make the looms up. I even walked the bloke through the process of the loom.
My dad asked about rear bench seat, and we got a story etc. Saying its not a case of bolting a seat in etc, well funny enough some of you lads have done it etc with the kits. So we don't think they are keen on fitting one. My dad had bought stuff down, and that was questioned if it would, and we were like yes, it for the this landrover, and the front bumper will fit the bull bar, even though its got the end caps on. ( as my 300 TDI had the same bull bar and larger bumper on with end caps, that me and my dad fitted.
they are months behind with this like, from what we saw. ( mam would have a fit )

I am strongly suspecting that they have just pulled this a part very quickly, with out even taking any notes on what. why and when with the electricals. That's going by how quickly they had the running gear in the new chassis. ( two days after they got the motor )
When the alarm system was mentioned to the company owner, she said it wasn't even connected, she said a load of cut wires. Which again was caught out by my dad and the lad doing the wiring. So looks like its just been snipped when the stripped this down.

Also i mentioned about the chassis ID about that going on the new chassis, and they are not allowed do anything etc. But i am sure the chassis has to have some sort of ID or something off the old chassis if iam right? Some fella got busted in Ireland for it, and she had to provide docs for it. Anyone shed some light on that one? Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1037545 15th Jun 2024 6:51pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Talk about snail pace with this, my parents went down, on monday to see what the story is with this, and its not even had a 1st start yet, also some bits are still off it, and they are flagging up more issues with things. But they are telling my mam and dad, very late on in the evening. Stuff that should have been flagged up, before they took it a part.
My parents are not happy on how long this is taking, and it should have been back here this week. They go away in two weeks time, and looking at it. They are not sure if they are going get away. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1040277 18th Jul 2024 9:36pm
L110CDL

England 
That's not good news Sad 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1040435 20th Jul 2024 11:11am
Procta

United Kingdom 
someone's coming home tomorrow Whistle Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1041421 30th Jul 2024 8:38pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Milestone Terr is back home and dry. Milestone
If i had a party popper id have popped it Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

A few things need to be done, like the rear mat and bench seat, the roof rack needs to be installed. Also there gear box cross member or chassis cross member that bolts on the front end, is missing on this. Which has been flagged up.
The parents do not like the exhaust setup on this at the back, hence the missing rear mud guards.

One thing the cost really spiralled out of control, has it not! a 20k bill ended up been a 27k bill Shocked
Its blew my dads savings and my mam has had to put some wages to cover remaining bill. I can see why you lads do rebuilds your self, due to the cost in labour, VAT, ( VAT was 4.5k of anyone's money)
crap coms on both sides of the story, my parents dragged their heals with things, and the rebuilder not been on the ball coms wise, so a lot of stuff was done with out my parents input. It was stripped down very quickly, but putting the thing back together was at a snails pace, parents have needed the motor back for the hols this Friday, So they have had to really pick the pace up, well basically stop messing about, and catch up.
But a few things that should have been done last month or two ago, wasn't done. The Alarm system been one of them.
I am not really sure the rebuild is worth 27k like, Axles have not been painted, a long with a few other bits. I am suspecting a lot of blue bag stuff has gone on this like, bolts wise.
Its going to have to have good shake down to see if all is well.

Its great to have it back on the drive again, so i can have my car back, as i need it for work, while beatie is out of action.

What a ride this one has been i tell you. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1041507 31st Jul 2024 8:27pm
L110CDL

England 
Lots of ups n downs there, but at least it's back and hopefully get all the rest sorted out Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1041513 31st Jul 2024 9:21pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Well the ride continues, Rolling Eyes
After the shyte storm, we had with Jasper been ill, and that ending on a very sad note for us all. The original holiday was cancelled.
My dad decided to put one single seat back in so it can carry a passenger in the back. There is a bench seat ready to go in, at some point.
Anyway they decided to book a small trip away, closer to home. So my dad went for fuel, as the rebuilders decided to drain the full tank of fuel out of it, and shove a quarter of a tank, back in once things were swopped over etc. My dad came running in and said he had a major diesel leak, and bloody hell did he not! We had to nip up the large fuel neck pipe, and ended up adding a second jubilee clip, as we are suspecting it been a crap quality one used, I had to tighten up the neck. We found that they had just re drilled a hole for the smaller pipe, when the hole was right there for it?? I said lets check the rest of the fuel lines, and the main line was just on by a few threads! So there was no way this would have done a 500 mile shake down at all. After we tightened all that down, there was still a leak, After 2 hours of faffing on with the hoses, we discovered where the two halves of the tank join, was a way. So we fixed one leak, and discovered a nightmare. My dad is pure boiling on this, and i am not happy at all, as its another hit to me and my family. The company didn't bother advising my dad about the tank been rotten, when they pulled the sodding thing to pieces, they just swopped it over. Said Censored all. So now me and my dad have to drop the tank, and install a new unit.
Got to say i really do question, the price, after dealing with simple jobs, i had to tighten down two bolts that secure the chassis to the tub, and fuel lines. the seat box does not line up on the driver side, so they drilled two holes and bolted in place. My parents suspect its not the original seat box, and its taking in water too.
I know its been very tight, to get the car back, the quality is questionable, on how it was put back together. My mate seen it, and he spotted, that some of the bolts have been what they have had lying around. I am suspecting its been a hardware shop job, and they have billed my dad the prices of the bolts for britpart etc. Some bolts are way too long.

So this is still off the road, a long with mine, 3 cars on the drive, and only 1 is working, and wheel bearing is starting to go on that too. Garages are 3 weeks full on jobs, so i cannot even get the defender back on the road quickly. To put the 306 in for the wheel bearing. All getting a joke at the moment, so what ever is taking the mick, wants to stop, before i blow like. Evil or Very Mad
2 cars out of action, Loss of our dog, mam and dad getting a bill that was way over budget, So things are just snow balling. They did manage to go away for 3 days by train. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1042097 7th Aug 2024 2:33am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Well a bit of a mile stone today, After me and my dad dropped my defender off, we set about this one, As i am wanting my Peugeot back, and this one's been off the road for best part of this year.
My dad had ordered a replacement tank, with a few odds and ends. All that had arrived on wednesday.
We slackened everything off, and removed the inner sill, which made a world of difference in removing a tank on the TDI 90s, Practically dropped out, Thumbs Up
So we did a bit of sealing on the new tank, let it go off, and added the fresh parts on, and just lifted the tank in again.
When we looked around it, its missing washers, brackets for the outer sill to the inner sill. Only one on the pass side. Its not even got the original seatbox, we noticed, its a bad line up.
Me and my dad are really thinking this has just been a Ability Supplies job, with the nuts and bolts.
I have had to add washers, and replace washers that were far to small for the job.
No way this is worth 27k rebuild, looking at the state of the quality on assembly, you think its been some 3rd party driveway cheap job. Rolling Eyes

Me and my dad have done better jobs in the past on metros. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Last edited by Procta on 21st Sep 2024 3:05am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1042350 9th Aug 2024 9:57pm
L110CDL

England 
Sorry to read all of the above Procta Sad 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1042964 16th Aug 2024 8:40pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Here is what my dad paid 27k for, Rolling Eyes
Lets start with the chassis gearbox crossmember that is missing, i had to bell them about that, and it turns out it was still on the old chassis!

Click image to enlarge

while i was under there, I found that the inner door seals, were just say held in place, with the smallest washer known to man! to the point, think the nut would have gone through!

Click image to enlarge

also the outer sill brackets, not even on the car

Click image to enlarge

Both axles and brackets jet washed and just swopped over.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The worlds longest bolts holding on the rear damper support.

Click image to enlarge

a very badly fitted seat box, which is not my dads at all, We had rebuilt his when we did the bottom end of the tub, So it all lined up as it should.
Here they have just blared holes through, and it just say connects to the inner sill! was a right nightmare to get the bolts back in again! after we changed the tank, which lead to horrors, missing bolts, missing washers, floor pans just bolted in.

Click image to enlarge

rear windows, that were supposed to have been redone,

Click image to enlarge

All they did was fit new rubbers inside.
badly fitted doors, they tried to say to my dad that the driver side door needs re adjusting again, also you have to slam it, Something to do with the seals been new, my dad was told Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

and it looks like they have used britpart door seals.

Click image to enlarge

The star of the show, and my dads favourite part, the exhaust.
We do not know what the hell is going on with that??
We are suspecting that they have just chucked a 110 back box on?
They cannot put rear mud flaps back on, due to where it exists. which what is making us think its a 110 unit.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also for some daft reason, they fitted seat risers, Rolling Eyes

The exhaust, was questioned by me, as i did mention the rear mud flaps, i was told, custom ones will have to be made. Rolling Eyes

So there you go lads, so this 27k oh yeah, it was returned to them with a rotten tank. Thumbs Up

A new chassis, bulkhead, replacement doors, repaired rear tub, which looks like its been repaired to a standard, No holes been put in for the rear door loom. A full respray. heated front window screen, a reversing camera, with the stereo, a mud centre console. Some odd ball exhaust.
This took them till august this year to complete, well if you call it complete.
My parents were going to go away at the beginning of August, and they have been pushing to get this back for then, otherwise this lot would have had it till September!
Things should have been pointed out in further depth, but they were planning on getting a way on the friday that week, and it was picked up on that Wednesday afternoon, leaving parents very little time to sort things out. Ie refit the rear seat in, then the discovery of a nightmare of fuel leak as mentioned earlier.

here is the new tank fitted by me and my dad, and he decided to fit a matching checker plate surround for the neck, Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So any lads from the northeast area wanting a chassis done, do not go anywhere near spanner monkeys ( which is now called MAP 4x4)
as they have had my parents here like, big style, they are ok for land rover mechanics, but that's about as far as it goes like, as a last option, but for jobs like this here, you could do a better job your self Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1043712 23rd Aug 2024 10:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>