↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > What Did You Do In Your Defender Today
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 187 of 1375 <123 ... 186187188 ... 137313741375>
Print this entire topic · 
Bobble

United Kingdom 
chopdogs wrote:
Offenders are liable to a MAXIMUM FINE of £1,000 and in some cases the mark may be withdrawn."

So, as far as I can see, they cannot give you points but can give you a fine - usually £60.00 (it rose from £30.00 in 2009

Depends on how the offence is categorised at the time and a grand is the maximum. Roadside could be 60+3.
Either way, why risk it? Not like a full size plate ruins the looks, and it's not as if there isn't space for it.
Post #101325 21st Nov 2011 11:47am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
warren wrote:
chopdogs wrote:
Here's the offical DVLA line:

"Offences
It is an offence to alter, rearrange or misrepresent letters or numbers in order to form names or words or in such a way that makes it difficult to read the registration number...

Do the letters not have to be a certain size too? Bikers seem to get pulled over a lot for having small number plates on the back.

Could you not just stick the original on the bulkhead over the 'flap'? Seen that done a few times.

Yup, the letter size has to be correct, also on a modern vehicle the font has to be correct. It is an offense also to muck about with the backround or to put any kind of 'anti-Gatso' film on the plate (and the films don't work anyway).

The old bill is also now far, far more likely to pull you it for number plate offences than ever before since so much traffic enforcememnt is done through ANPR, so I woudl have thought that the chance of getting stopped for that is very high. You might also want to consider that since technically the vehicle would not (or should not) pass an MOT with that plate, in legal terms it is unroadworthy which not only has insurance implications but also could conceivably enable the police to impound the car if it is on the road at the time (the fact that this hasn't happened for a number plate offence yet doesn't mean that it cannot happen).

There is no reason why you can't put a standard plate on the grill above the winch, it doesn't seem to cause any overheating problems even in exceptionally hot conditions, and is at least legal.

Above all, I have to wonder why you would want to change the standard plate for an illegal midget plate. Each to his own, I suppose!
Post #101327 21st Nov 2011 11:53am
Bobble

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
You might also want to consider that since technically the vehicle would not (or should not) pass an MOT with that plate, in legal terms it is unroadworthy which not only has insurance implications but also could conceivably enable the police to impound the car if it is on the road at the time (the fact that this hasn't happened for a number plate offence yet doesn't mean that it cannot happen).

Tricky one that. An MOT Test is always underwritten with the clause that it shouldn't be regarded as a check of roadworthiness and certifies that the vehicle achieved a pass only on the day it was tested. Speculating as to if it would pass again is a bit grey and although "unlikely to pass an MOT" might highlight issues that could be grounds to issue an FNP, a car can't be classed as unroadworthy for something that would fail if it was tested.
Agreed in the illegal bit though. I just don't geddit. Confused
Post #101330 21st Nov 2011 12:03pm
chopdogs

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
[quote="Bobble"]
chopdogs wrote:
Depends on how the offence is categorised at the time and a grand is the maximum. Roadside could be 60+3.
Either way, why risk it? Not like a full size plate ruins the looks, and it's not as if there isn't space for it.

As per my previous post, they do not give points - just a fine. OK, it's a max of £1,000 but realistically that's not very likely. The chances of being stopped are relatively small - a fellow forum member had a similar plate on his 90 for several years and never got stopped, even in Stroud during the horse sales when the police are out in force.

As for why, I want to do this.....it's purely aesthetic. I prefer the look of the smaller plate - I think that the full size plate is overpowering - wherever it is - next to the winch, on top of the winch or on the "flap".

I guess it's a similar reason as to why people add flashy wing top vents. They may argue that it'll improve airflow and increase heating efficiency (or keep out the snow) - but deep down they just like the look.

Or, similar to people who buy "oversize" tyres that protrude past the wheelarches. Technically that's illegal - so they are running the risk of being stopped and fined as well. It may have an effect on off road capability but underneath it's probably because they think their car looks nicer like that.

So, having offended at least half of the forum, I'll get my coat...........
Post #101332 21st Nov 2011 12:49pm
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Chop - there are a few here that like to get on their high horses as often as possible (I got blasted for towing a car using a tow bar - apparently I should have used 2 inch thick steel chains and welded it directly to the chassis) but I guess the slightly more subtle approach is - why risk a fine for aesthetics? It DOES look better IMO but won't the possible chance of being stopped worry you a bit? Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #101334 21st Nov 2011 12:59pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
chopdogs wrote:

So, having offended at least half of the forum, I'll get my coat...........

I'm a member of the non-offended element.

Looks good - you know the consequences, and the aesthetics you want - your call at your risk!

I think the fellow forum-ers are just trying to keep you out of trouble.

Enjoy it if you like it, cringe when you pass a copper Razz Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #101337 21st Nov 2011 1:25pm
Bobble

United Kingdom 
Fitting what you've admitted is an illegal plate "because it looks better".
Where's that thought process end then?
I'm gonna fit a flame thrower, it'll look better that way, and Bodicea spikes on the wheels, they'd look cool....
Just accept it, the BiB frown on small plates for what is a fairly obvious but seldom-spoken reason.
People with ickle plates don't want to make it easy for their vehicles to be tracked/ANPR'd, and people who don't want that are generally up to no good.
Fair enough on the points thing though.....my mistake, drawing from experience some years ago of a Caterham driving mate of mine who found it was cheaper (to the tune of £60) to remove the front plate altogether and carry it in the boot, rather than fit an illegal one.
"It just fell off officer" worked out far cheaper than "I know it's too small but it looks nicer".
And saying other people fit big tyres and they're illegal so it must be ok, is utter lunacy. Every vehicle in the country has a VRN plate, so every copper knows the rules on them, as opposed to tyre packages which are a bit more unique.

MartinK wrote:
Looks good - you know the consequences, and the aesthetics you want - your call at your risk!

I think the fellow forum-ers are just trying to keep you out of trouble.

Agree with this. Thumbs Up In short, you're making yourself a target, especially by showing the actual reg in the photos! Doh! Rolling with laughter
I'll get my coat now too.

Last edited by Bobble on 21st Nov 2011 1:31pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #101339 21st Nov 2011 1:29pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
if you really really want small number plates and to remain legal there is a way ....

move to Switzerland Thumbs Up
Post #101340 21st Nov 2011 1:31pm
Bobble

United Kingdom 
bpman wrote:
if you really really want small number plates and to remain legal there is a way ....
move to Switzerland Thumbs Up

You ever tried eating Toblerone without hurting yourself?
Post #101341 21st Nov 2011 1:32pm
chopdogs

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I appreciate that some of you are trying to keep me out of trouble and I thank you for your concern

Yes - I guess I will be a bit nervous when I pass a copper - thankfully, where I live there don't seem to be many Confused

I'll see how I feel after a few weeks - if I am continually "looking over my shoulder", I can swap back to the full size plate - 10 minute job.
Post #101342 21st Nov 2011 1:32pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I never used to run a front plate at all !!!

Post #101353 21st Nov 2011 2:17pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Or this one..

Even my Westfield...which even when I got 'roadblocked' by two Police cars, didn't notice !
Post #101355 21st Nov 2011 2:20pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
i did in this though...I wonder why Whistle
Post #101356 21st Nov 2011 2:23pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I think the risk is more that some bored copper will use it as an excuse to pull you over and try and find something else. It is down to the risk you are willing to take at the end of the day - I know a few people who have run illegally spaced / sized plates for ages and got away with it, I also know a few who have been fined a number of times for it - including faint logos on the background.

When we bought our old TR 110 it had small plates with dodgy spacing - L11 OTR spaced to read L 110 TR. The previous owner had never had a problem with them but my OH got warned twice in a week by a local copper (luckily he didn't fine her) so we changed them. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #101372 21st Nov 2011 3:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
JSG wrote:
I think the risk is more that some bored copper will use it as an excuse to pull you over and try and find something else. .

Round here it's front fogs or other lighting issues.

When the cops are looking at a row of cars, they seem to go for one which stands out (obviously).

Prats driving with front fogs (in good visibility) are a perfect target to pull over...and have a good long look over the vehicle...and test the drivers attitude... A driver with a bad attitude at this point is certainly looking at further action ... and with front fog users...rightly so...string em up Smile Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #101375 21st Nov 2011 3:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 187 of 1375 <123 ... 186187188 ... 137313741375>