↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Clutch problems again.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Clutch problems again.
Well,

On next monday our car will be again with the dealers for at least one week Big Cry Big Cry .

The vibration and noise in the cluch pedal are getting worse every day. Is still randomly, but occurs more often and noisy (like a squeak). By the location of the noise I suspect that the main cylinder is the problem (I hope).

If I recall well, some of you guys had problems with the cylinder and has been repaired under guarantee. Can you describe how the problems appeared and the symptoms?

Also some paintworks (roof seal and sone scratch made by the dealer), the 50.000 km (31,000 miles) check and other minor problems fixs will be done at the same time.

I hope that will be the last issue. I'm getting a little bit tired with that.

In the meantime our courtesy car will be a Volvo S40.

Cheers Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #9570 9th Apr 2009 4:26pm
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Ed would be interested to know how you find the Volvo S40 off road Razz
Post #9575 9th Apr 2009 7:10pm
Eduardo

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I will do, and probably the sump will be go away at the first rock

Anyway during the next weekend we do not have planning any off road trail. So have the Volvo in the city will be not be so bad.

Cheers Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #9578 9th Apr 2009 8:31pm
sasha2001

Russia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
Yes good luck with that, we have not heard of any clutch problems here yet but there are not that many in New Zealand at present. Heard of the vacum pump and rear diff on a tdci 90 one year old
The local dealers are useless!!! but we have a excellent non dealer landrover shop here but of course all 2007 models are still under factory warranty but armed with the GTR knowledge at least we can "assist" them
When I had my TD5 just before the warranty ran out it ran like it was "missing" they denied anything wrong and would not show me the computer printout, I lost the plot and told them to keep it and fix it, I came back after 10 days to a new turbo but the funny thing was that the other shop had just got the Rovacom software and it showed a fault only in the sensor in the turbo housing/manifold worth only $120 but the dealer gave a whole new turbo housing etc which contained the sensor!!! so new turbo instead of sensor, it does not give me a lot of faith in them
Post #9592 10th Apr 2009 1:14am
RickA

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
Clutch Problem
Hi All,

Took my 07 110 to the dealer today for it's 24k service prior to my Central Aisia trip in early May ( an aprox. 18,000 mile trip over 3.5 months )

They say the clutch needs replacing but there is a 10 working day leadtime on the parts - none at all in the country.

Great! Looks like they should have it fixed one day before I set off - not filling me with confidence!

Oh well, at least they can fit me a new vacuum pump whilst they have it ( Thanks Eduardo for the tip! ) after I have just gone and bought a spare one.....

Cheers, Nervous Rick.
Post #10028 21st Apr 2009 8:06pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
RickA - very jealous of your trip! One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #10046 21st Apr 2009 11:51pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
RickA,have a great trip and don't forget to post the pictures Thumbs Up 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #10062 22nd Apr 2009 9:22am
Eduardo

RickA

Pretty nice trip. Can you post your route?

My Defender still have problems with the clutch and probably will be not be repaired this time Sad
As the noise and vibrations appears randomly, just when we make the road test together not appeared, so they dont like to open it without a prove that the clutch is failing Confused Confused

By the way its good to know that your pump is replaced by a new one. regarding the clutch, I think is not a good idea to have a new one installed before a long journey without have time to test it.

Good luck in your trip!

Cheers Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #10068 22nd Apr 2009 1:40pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
The problems is that the chief mechanic is out of duty for about 2 weeks so the guy replacing him will not take any chance. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #10069 22nd Apr 2009 4:05pm
RickA

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
Clutch
Eduardo,

Don't have mush choice regarding testing the clutch - departure date is fixed and I'm not going with a dodgy clutch!

The route is across nortern Europe, into the Baltic states and across to Moscow, right across Russia and Siberia past lake Baikal then south to Ulan Bataar in Mongolia.
Down into the Gobi then back north into the mountains in thr east of Mongolia before crossing back into the Altay mountain region of Russia and down into Kasakhstan. Down into Kyrgystan and Tajikistan and across the Pamir Highway ( the 15000 ft high Silk Road route across the mountains ) and back up to Uzbekistan after skirting the Afgan boarder for a while ( Both sides of it unfortunately! ). On into Turkmenistan and across the Caspian sea on a freighter to Baku in Azerbaijan and into Armenia then Georgia.
Across nortern Turkey following the Black Sea to Istanbul then into Greece and Europe again.
The route home from there takes us through Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, austria, Switzerland and across the Alpine passes into France and Home!

What could possibly go wrong! Rolling with laughter

Cheers, Rick.
Post #10071 22nd Apr 2009 4:37pm
Eduardo

MK wrote:
The problems is that the chief mechanic is out of duty for about 2 weeks so the guy replacing him will not take any chance.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
I was with him last week.
Anyway I will contact dealer upper levels to get an answwer.

Cheers! Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #10074 22nd Apr 2009 6:03pm
Eduardo

Re: Clutch
RickA wrote:
Eduardo,

Don't have mush choice regarding testing the clutch - departure date is fixed and I'm not going with a dodgy clutch!

The route is across nortern Europe, into the Baltic states and across to Moscow, right across Russia and Siberia past lake Baikal then south to Ulan Bataar in Mongolia.
Down into the Gobi then back north into the mountains in thr east of Mongolia before crossing back into the Altay mountain region of Russia and down into Kasakhstan. Down into Kyrgystan and Tajikistan and across the Pamir Highway ( the 15000 ft high Silk Road route across the mountains ) and back up to Uzbekistan after skirting the Afgan boarder for a while ( Both sides of it unfortunately! ). On into Turkmenistan and across the Caspian sea on a freighter to Baku in Azerbaijan and into Armenia then Georgia.
Across nortern Turkey following the Black Sea to Istanbul then into Greece and Europe again.
The route home from there takes us through Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, austria, Switzerland and across the Alpine passes into France and Home!

Cheers, Rick.

Such a nice trip.

Good luck! Eduardo

Click image to enlarge
Post #10080 22nd Apr 2009 7:29pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
That's an awesome trip. Are you keeping a blog or some way we can track your progress? One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #10081 22nd Apr 2009 7:53pm
sasha2001

RickA wrote:
Eduardo,

Cheers, Rick.

Great enjoy the trip
Here is a link you may like if you have not already seen it!!!
http://www.dreamers1.com/russia/Practicali...lities.htm

you will enjoy it and do not pay the Russian police bribes!!!
The latest ploy in moscow is to pull you up for a "breathtest" even with no drinking it will tuen red!! so you might have to pay 1000 roubles!!
one person said get me a new mouthpeice, the cop did, his child blew into it, it went red, the cop was embrasssed and let him go
Just say i do notunderstand and where is the commander, they will let you go for more easy prey!!
Plenty of bush mechanics there in russia and losts of helpfulpeople
Post #10082 22nd Apr 2009 8:49pm
sasha2001

RickA wrote:
Eduardo,

Cheers, Rick.

Hi rick just be aware that the diesel quality in Russia espically outside the main centres can be a bit dodgy sometimes
plenty of stations etc but I would recomend youtake a few diesel fuel filters for you puma and check them reguarly, they can get clogged up with the waxy additives etc , if in doubt change them , I think you can change
them on the run, may pay to check if you need any special tools for the procedure
Post #10088 22nd Apr 2009 9:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>