Home > Technical > 1 inch lift with standard shocks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lukaswhitedefender

2006 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
1 inch lift with standard shocks
Hi there,

Because of my new tires 255/85/16 and a heavy front arb bullbar I am considering updating the front springs to heavy duty and adding a 1 inch lift overall to get some more space in the wheel arches.

However I want to keep the job as minimal as possible so I was wondering if I can do the spring update with the 1 inch lift without updating the shocks ?

What consequences will this ultimately have ?
Post #1005704 29th Aug 2023 9:51am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
The absolute simplest option for your case is to fit a 1" spacer plate under the front lower spring mount. This way you can keep the standard height spring and shock and achieve a little more clearance.

You can either go with the excellent Gwyn Lewis spacer spring mount https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/product/1-inch-front-spring-spacers/

or

a simple spacer https://www.flatdoguk.com/25mm-aluminium-s...front~1000
Post #1005709 29th Aug 2023 10:03am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: 1 inch lift with standard shocks
lukaswhitedefender wrote:
Hi there,

Because of my new tires 255/85/16 and a heavy front arb bullbar I am considering updating the front springs to heavy duty and adding a 1 inch lift overall to get some more space in the wheel arches.

However I want to keep the job as minimal as possible so I was wondering if I can do the spring update with the 1 inch lift without updating the shocks ?

What consequences will this ultimately have ?

This all depends on what you want from the vehicle and how you use it.

Lifting it 1", either by some spacers or longer springs will reduce the amount of down travel you have (i.e. suspension droop).

If you plan to off road this is bad news as you'll get cross axled more easily and lift wheels more easily.

Also worth noting that with 255/85 tyres you still have the same amount of suspension compression. Are you having any clearance issues with the tyres? Any stock 90 I've put tyres that size on rubs under flex.

So again if you off road, under suspension compression you will obviously loose all of your 'lift'.

If it is just for street use, then a simple lift may be the way to go.

If the front of your vehicle is heavier than before, a revised spring rate might be sensible. But it depends how heavy it is. But you probably won't want a HD spring on the rear if your loading weight hasn't changed. HD springs can easily ruin ride and comfort.

There are different ways to get a spring lift. HD springs compress less, but you can also get standard rate longer springs, which will also give you a lift, but not be any harder.
Post #1005712 29th Aug 2023 10:45am
MarkBrown

Wales 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
I have a 110 van, but with 255 85 16 nothing rubs. I've actually lowered the back by 1 inch, which has had no side effects. The only thing I find is that the front hits the bump stops, but I think better shocks will help this. As said take a look at the Gwyn Lewis website, he does shims and spacers.
Post #1005744 29th Aug 2023 1:39pm
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
^^^ all of the above..

And..

Use this first

https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/wp-content/uplo...rments.pdf

It maybe the case that your standard springs have sagged and now the larger tyre is fouling because of that.
Should time or money be at a premium then actually a bit of leg work will help in deciding if you need the lift or simply a change of front springs to ones of the right length. a basic rule is that on 235/85's the wheel arch eyebrow should be about 35inches off the floor.

I will though say that if they have sagged then whilst new standard replacements will restore a standard height and ride comfort they will over time do it again.

http://red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html

Is a common site to compare spring rates if you wanted to change them out and fine tune your choice versus what ever the local parts store call HD front springs.

To directly address your question.

Yes a standard damper will accept and function should you have a 1 inch longer spring in there, and as above accept you have chosen to compromise available down travel when you want it.

There is always a but..

Both springs and dampers are a consumable item they don't last for ever, if they have been there a long time and distance then changing them is more than just a by product of a spring length increase, they do wear out and factors such as tyre wear and stopping distance are affected by worn dampers. I see it as a wise move to change them if they have been there a while and on a defender you are in there anyway so it's no more work to change them when doing the springs.

IMO Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #1005774 29th Aug 2023 6:09pm
lukaswhitedefender

2006 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
Thanks for all the response !
I don’t notice any rub but I put the new tires on just recently so I can not tell yet what they do under flex.
It’s a travel car so I do mostly laning and overlanding but also occasional off-roading.
So adding a spacer might not be the solution.

My ARB front bumper adds 75 kg up front so I think this definitely does
It’s part on compressing the springs and could be the reason why it’s sitting very low up front. A winch would again add approx. 30 kgs.
So I feel like updating the load rating of the front springs is maybe a good idea.

Additional equipment like roof rack, water tank, NAS Rear step, roof tent, awning etc. also adds approx another 200 kg to the back. With the standard springs I don’t have a problem at the moment but maybe a higher load rating for the back spring would be a good idea ?

I will try to find out if the front spring might have sagged and if restoring the factory height by new / or stronger springs might be sufficient for the tire size.

If I need to do a lift then maybe better with updated shocks as well so I won’t have any disadvantages off-reading ✌️
Post #1005818 29th Aug 2023 8:59pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Do you have a 90 or 110?

If a 90, I like the Flatdog springs:
https://www.flatdoguk.com/def-90-%2B2%22-%2F-std~339

They do a +2" but standard rate, so longer spring, but only a mild lift nearer to 1" or so.

And it'll still ride nice.

To counter the front bumper you could add a 1" spacer or buy a different rate front spring. Such as the front from the Hd set:
https://www.flatdoguk.com/def-90-%2B2%22-%2F-hd1~338

With or without a spacer depending on spring length.

I would seriously consider swapping shocks too. They aren't hugely expensive and you have to take the front ones off completely to change the springs and undo at least one end on the rear shocks.

I quite like the Britpart Cellular Dynamic shocks and they should handle a loaded vehicle well as they are a twin tube design. The do them in a +2" length too, you won't need to change mounts at all, they will bolt straight on. On road they should ride/handle well with the above springs, but give you quite a bit more flex off road.
Post #1005831 29th Aug 2023 9:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1