↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Puma 2.4: How much blowing is normal at oil filler cap?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BJH

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Puma 2.4: How much blowing is normal at oil filler cap?
Read further below for context. But my question is: when the engine is running at idle, and you remove the oil filler cap, how much blowing should you be able to feel with your hand? Should it literally be none at all? Or is a little bit of blowing normal?

CONTEXT:

I have a 2009 2.4 Puma Defender. She has developed a nasty engine rattle. It only happens under load, only after a relatively long journey (not when engine is cold), and only when the revs go higher than ~2500. Under normal load, it sounds just fine. You would hear it accelerating on hills, or when accelerating while towing for example. There is no perceived lack of power. That said, I have deliberately avoided heavy acceleration since she's been making this noise. There is no smoke.

I have removed all four injectors, cleaned the injector seats (and the injectors themselves) and refitted with new washers and new bolts for the injector clamps.

With that work done so far she seems alright. But I still get a little bit of blowing when I remove the oil filler cap, and that is the reason for my question.
Post #1003988 13th Aug 2023 4:53pm
swt

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
At idle, from new, mine has blown back enough that, if you poured oil in, a fair amount would come back out again. (Mine's a 2008 and it has behaved similarly through a change of injector seals/clamp.) Some blow-by is part of the design, hence that crankcase breather which, unmodified, conveys a bit of filth back into the intake.
Post #1003996 13th Aug 2023 5:55pm
BJH

Excellent, thanks for the information! This gives me a lot more confidence.

Hopefully the dreaded engine rattle noise has gone away for good. If not, I think my next step is to remove the injectors again and get them tested. 👍
Post #1004004 13th Aug 2023 6:58pm
Matt_H

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
..when I had a noise above 2500 rpm in situations similar to what you describe, it was the turbo on its way out. Wasn't really a "rattle" though.... Question
Post #1004323 16th Aug 2023 10:22am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Post #1004340 16th Aug 2023 12:46pm
BJH

hank: Excellent, that is a very useful thread and set of videos.
Mine wasn't as bad as his in the 'before' but it's about the same as his in the 'after'. So that's promising.

Still haven't found out if the noise has gone yet - she needs to warm up fully for that and will be doing the test this weekend. 🤞

For anyone else who stumbles on this thread, regarding the blowing problem, it is definitely an easy fix if you can have the confidence to get stuck in. Everyone has to know and respect their own limitations of course, but for context I am a novice at mechanics. I did have to buy some tools - I didn't have a torque wrench that was suitable for the injector clamp bolts, and I didn't have the tools required for cleaning the injector seats. So the job wasn't too cheap but instead of giving my money to a mechanic and having no idea what was actually done in practice, I did it myself, I know exactly what was done, and the tools that I spent money on will be part of my kit for the next time. 👍
Post #1004529 17th Aug 2023 7:44pm
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
^^^^^ is the way to do it regarding acquiring tools

Years ago my wife's car needed disks and pads and she was quoted £250 in labour. At that time I didn't have a decent trolley jack or decent axle stands for my Defender so decided to buy those tools and do it myself. That's how I ended up with a "free" trolley jack and axle stands Thumbs Up
Post #1004577 18th Aug 2023 9:53am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
BJH wrote:

For anyone else who stumbles on this thread, regarding the blowing problem, it is definitely an easy fix if you can have the confidence to get stuck in. Everyone has to know and respect their own limitations of course, but for context I am a novice at mechanics. I did have to buy some tools - I didn't have a torque wrench that was suitable for the injector clamp bolts, and I didn't have the tools required for cleaning the injector seats. So the job wasn't too cheap but instead of giving my money to a mechanic and having no idea what was actually done in practice, I did it myself, I know exactly what was done, and the tools that I spent money on will be part of my kit for the next time. 👍

Top man for giving it a go! > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #1004578 18th Aug 2023 9:59am
BJH

Update:

Today I made the first long journey in the LR since this job. I am pleased to report that not only do I no longer have the "blowing" problem, but also the nasty "bag o' bolts" noise has also been fixed. Not doing it anymore.

So a simple fix, in the end. I'll take it!

Cheers!
Post #1004873 20th Aug 2023 6:20pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Good skills! Thumbs Up
Post #1005335 24th Aug 2023 7:22pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I had a rattle in the engine bay. It turned out to be a loose bolt on the turbo heat shield. Not related to the above but something to check when trying to pin point rattles. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1005559 27th Aug 2023 1:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1