↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > What is it with Series parts suppliers?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
What is it with Series parts suppliers?
One of the jobs left to do on my Series 2 is to fit new door seals. It is proving to be a Sisyphean task.

I bought the recommended 7m of the right profile rubber from Paddocks ages ago along with a load of other bits with the intention of cutting it to size and riveting in place with some metal strip. It wasn't really the right profile, was too hard and I couldn't get the metal strip into it. It's all now in the bin and chalked down to 'experience'.

I then ordered a set of "premium" door seals from Craddocks. The photos showed nice soft rubber seals that looked OEM quality, but they sent me Britpart seals which are made of very hard, solid rubber and are neither use nor ornament. I tried fitting one seal and the door was nowhere near closing. I sent them back and got a refund.

Learning from the error of my ways, I ordered a set of genuine Land Rover door seals from L.R.Series; deliberately choosing these far more expensive items over OEM/Bearmach/Britpart options they offered. Out of eight door seals ordered, only one is Genuine Land Rover, four are Britpart and the other three somewhere in-between.

What is it with Land Rover Series parts suppliers that makes them think it is acceptable to substitute significantly inferior quality components for the ones I ordered and paid a premium for!?! Now I need to send back the third set of door seals I've bought, only L.R.Series don't answer the phone...
Post #494029 19th Jan 2016 1:15pm
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
hi have you tried dingocroft in high wycombe they are very good at supplying what you want i used to get most of my parts from there cheers Paul Tash n Barney
Post #494049 19th Jan 2016 2:08pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Dingcroft every time for my parts.

Trouble with Craddocks is they just send out what they have on the shelf, it's pot luck what you get.
I ordered, listed as genuine swivel seals, only to be sent stuff in a blue bag.
I sent it all back! I get so frustrated with them.

Ive placed many orders with Dingo everything is always spot on, and either genuine, or a good brand.

Can't help much with recommendations for door seals, can you put a photo up of the profile?
As I can't see them being that different from a S1?

I've just had some good ones for my 86"

Cheers
Ian 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #494071 19th Jan 2016 3:34pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
my Dad is rebuilding a series 3 and sings praise fr Dingocroft DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #494183 19th Jan 2016 9:50pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Many thanks for the recommendation of Dingocroft! In the end I have re-ordered from a local supplier (Britcar) and arranged to collect so that I can see the quality of the parts in my hand before accepting them. I have ordered from them before and they have contacted me to discuss what they can and cannot source. You can also indicate that substitutes are not acceptable on the order.

I had an interesting email exchange with L.R.Series, who claim that the parts were genuine old stock from Dutch and UK military auctions in 1986 and that they supply parts to JLR. There was nothing genuine or NOS about the parts they sent and they have now agreed to take them back.
Post #494684 21st Jan 2016 11:34am
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
Another vote here for Dingocroft. They happen to be local to me but are very good for supplying Genuine / OEM parts. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #500763 5th Feb 2016 10:35am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
When down south I only ever used to buy parts over the counter at either the Land Rover dealer or a motor factor for consumables etc. as that is the only way to be sure what you are getting.

Unfortunately my closest main dealers are now 60 miles away so for Land Rover parts I am forced to go with mail order. I have found LR Direct the best for giving the correct choice so far, generally I have not had an issues with parts being supplied that I am suspicious about.
Post #500872 5th Feb 2016 3:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1