↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Defender "secure tracker"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
Defender "secure tracker"
Does anyone know how secure the "secure tracker" is on the new Defender?

My friend had his Discovery stolen and the tracker was found in a hedge having been quickly removed by the thieves.

Reason l ask is that my subscription is coming up and LR want £400 for two years. I've spoken to my insurance and they don't require the tracking device, nor do they give any discount if it's active.

However l will still renew it, but not if the tracker can be disabled quickly by thieves, if that's the case it's a waste of £400.

Just as an aside, please don't put technical details about the tracking device (such as where it's located) on any public forum such as this, because anyone could read it.

l only want to know if LR have improved the system so it's actually worthwhile paying the subscription for it.
Post #1033369 30th Apr 2024 10:54am
Moo

Ukraine 
How was it stolen? With or without the keys?

Also the thieves will know where the LR tracker is because it's in the same place on every Defender.

I have an air tag in mine with the speaker taken out. It'll will eventually tell the thieves it's in the car but they won't be able to find it. Wink

A mate of mine has an old iPhone hard wired in to his car so it's permanataly on. Works rather well. Thumbs Up I'm about to do the same thing on my daughters's D3 and DS and might also do it on mine. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1033374 30th Apr 2024 11:24am
johnlad

United Kingdom 
Can’t advise how secure the tracking is, but guardian mode is effective.
I disconnected my battery and within 15 seconds Land Rover we’re on the phone asking if I authorised disconnection.
Post #1033377 30th Apr 2024 11:48am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Thanks l will activate that, l've seen it on the app.

The Discovery was stolen with keys, they broke into the house. His wife's Mini was in front of it and they couldn't find the keys so rammed that off the drive with the Discovery and into a hedge opposite.

I believe they were eventually caught some months later for other similar crimes.
Post #1033383 30th Apr 2024 12:33pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I didn’t bother renewing it
Post #1033386 30th Apr 2024 12:54pm
whiterdesign

United Kingdom 
I m insured with Direct line and they don't need a tracker so i,m not renewing mine. Seems a waste of time as they can be removed. 110 XS 250 MY 23 Gondwana Stone, Cold climate pack and towbar
Post #1033393 30th Apr 2024 2:09pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
That was my original question

l know that it can be easily disabled on the Discovery but wanted to know if the unit was more secure on the new Defender
Post #1033404 30th Apr 2024 3:45pm
J77

Scotland 
I opted for secure tracker pro on this one, which apparently has an additional chip in the key, I won’t renew it but the key will always have the chip regardless. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #1033428 30th Apr 2024 7:28pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l think more people would renew if it was cheaper, say £100 per year.

But at just under £400 for two years it's something l need to think about whether it's worth it.
Post #1033440 30th Apr 2024 8:42pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Don't think I'll renew. Hard wired iPhone with sim and speaker less Air Tag should be good enough. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1033458 30th Apr 2024 11:16pm
XplusYplusZ

I was also told by my insurance company that my JLR tracker doesn't lower my premium.

I watched a youtube clip about a recovery company who managed to track a Mercedes GLE to a chop-shop. The police and red-tape was awful, but they eventually (after days) gained access to the premises and found the merc entirely stripped down to the shell, ready for shipping. The recovery company was happy, but looking at that massive pile of nuts and bolts, all I can assume is that the car was a total write-off and the insurance company was going to have to pay out anyway..

So I guess even if trackers DO work, they're not much use to the insurance companies on a case-by-case basis. Over time, I guess they might help put a few crims away and decrease the net instances. But you're probably not getting your car back if it's stolen, even with a tracker.

IF trackers would work, and IF I were JLR, I would be trying to build in some randomisation and failsafes in order to improve tracking effectiveness. For example:
    1. Make sure all tracker locations are very hard to get to - possibly requiring disabling the vehicle for 24 hours to remove them.. could they be built in series into the wiring harness?
    2. Use multiple trackers per vehicle to slow down the tracker removal process. One tracker in the same spot would be easy to plan for. But having to find and remove many trackers brings more chance of discovery.
    3. Have multiple possible locations for tracker installations by the factory and rotate where trackers are installed on each vehicle during assembly. One unit would have trackers in locations 1,2,3, the next 4,5,6 the next 1,3,9... make it a ball-ache to find them all and remove..
    4. Trigger alarm/guardian mode as soon as the first tracker is disconnected - adding some time pressure to find the remaining 3 or 4 trackers before the police come knocking.

I've also done the silenced airtag(s) trick. Although I'm also thinking about using a few non-silenced airtags so the b*****ds know my vehicle's riddled with the things!
Post #1033489 1st May 2024 10:41am
DrRob

United Kingdom 
Use multiple AirTags with speakers intact and some disabled. New 90 on order for delivery in May 2024. D300 X-Dynamic HSE in Eiger
2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE Buckingham Blue with Ivory interior and clear glass = "Rory" Will be up for sale in Spring 2024
1974 Series 3 Lightweight = "Millie"
--------------------------------------------------
Series 2A V8 Lightweight - gone
1952 80" - gone
1949 80" - still in family since 1975
Post #1033509 1st May 2024 1:29pm
DFNDER

Australia 
The new EVC-X throttle controllers now include a lock feature that disables the throttle completely. Might be a viable solution.

Check out www.ultimate9.co
Post #1033561 2nd May 2024 3:20am
XplusYplusZ

DrRob wrote:
Use multiple AirTags with speakers intact and some disabled.

hehe
Post #1033591 2nd May 2024 10:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1