↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > Wireless OEM Charging Mat -heat/connection
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TSY

Wireless OEM Charging Mat -heat/connection
Ok, have the JLR factory charge mat in my 24' 110/p400. Something I've noticed, if the phone is in there for awhile it seems to just charge and charge... eventually the phone gets quite hot & I lose wireless CarPlay connection. ( assumably aapl component thermistors hit a max and cut connection.)

Anyone else feel like there phone behaves the same way with the JLR charge mat?

Is this a module software issue? ...any update known?

Thanks!
Post #1033452 30th Apr 2024 9:58pm
DFNDER

Australia 
MY23.5 P400SE, same issue, the phone gets very hot. I don't use the charge pad for my Samsung, I prefer my quadlock windscreen mount with charge head.
Post #1033464 1st May 2024 12:52am
roverhaul

United States 
Same issues with L460 but on that it's in an enclosed box. I've had the temps in that area go to 100F consistently even when not charging.

I had a loaner L663 last week with the same phone overheat errors even with the area being totally exposed. It seems to affect certain phones more. Cases can make a difference too. I'm using a iPhone 15 Pro, no case.

I've been documenting it on the L460 for months now. I even 3D printed an alternate mount using the Apple MagSafe puck. It solved the problem for me. But obviously a JLR issue, they could add come cooling. The engineers I've spoken with about it all blame the phone manufacturers...
Post #1033963 6th May 2024 3:39pm
Tim in Scotland

Same issue with it in my 2020 first edition so when I specced my 2023 90 I didn’t tick that box. Phones don’t just get hot in Defenders though, my previous electric Mini’s induction pad did the same but in my new Countryman the induction pad has its own cooling vent and so far no problems with a hot 2020 iPhone S E Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 7th May 2024 11:47am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1033974 6th May 2024 5:57pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
If the phone is overheating, it could suggest the charge rate is too quick and, if connected to the JLR system, the processing demands of the Apple Car Play / Android Auto are pushing it over the edge.

Whilst not the same, I have this fitted and have never had that issue. I can't say it charges the battery rapidly but it does keep it at least at the level it was before connecting to the car and generally charges it above said level on drives over 15-minutes.

https://www.powerfuluk.com/collections/new...hand-drive

IMHO, the above works well and in my use has not suffered from what is being described. My phone is in a case, so again, there is an extra layer which stops heat dissipating as it should; however, I haven't had a problem with this.

The only downside to the above is that the units they now supply have a logo in the centre square but this can be removed with a little time and patience, which gives a more factory look.
Post #1033980 6th May 2024 6:36pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
Had the same on the L460, my iPhone would get really hot and MRS RDRs iPhone would often shut down with a high temperature warning. Dealer investigated with no fix found but confirmed its a common issue suggesting sticking to wired when using the phone for CarPlay or long calls Confused 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1034032 7th May 2024 7:59am
roverhaul

United States 
Yeah the L460 warnings are more dire with the phone being disabled for a bit. The L663 just gets hot and then the phone stops charging.

That front cubby in the L460 runs way hotter. I took a bunch of thermal images and without a phone charging at all, that box got over 35C consistently with the door closed. Now stick a heater (wirelessly charging iPhone) and it's a losing proposition. I'll post pics if anyone wants to see but not trying to kill you all here with L460 stuff.

JLR engineer said it should work better with a case because that will level out the phone on the pad.
Post #1034076 7th May 2024 3:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1