↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Air Suspension auto access height and the boot
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jordjdw87

Scotland 
Air Suspension auto access height and the boot
Totally open to this being me being an idiot - which, is more likely than not!

My defender is set to auto access, and I can see/feel the height drop to access mode on the air suspension when I get out of the car as expected…
.. what isn’t expected is, it looks like the back end of the car does drop, a bit, but it’s possible to lower the car further by using the button in the boot.

Is this normal? Is there a way to adjust the auto-access/access height to ‘lowest’?
Post #1032397 22nd Apr 2024 1:14pm
XplusYplusZ

Mine does the same, after parking in access mode, the load lowering button will drop it another inch or so.

So it means we have:
1. lowest level loading height
2. access mode height
3. normal height
4. offroad height
5. offroad extension auto 1st level height
6. offroad extension manual 2nd level height

I don't think there's an option to adjust the access height, height. BUT, apparently you can whack the hazard lights on, and using the key fob, you can lower/raise the tailgate. I have yet to try it, but I guess you could potentially do this, and lower the tailgate to the lowest level before exiting the vehicle... (bit of a faff but could be done I think)

Last edited by XplusYplusZ on 23rd Apr 2024 3:01pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1032533 23rd Apr 2024 12:38pm
carltb

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
How do I put it in number 5 on your list? 2024 Defender 110 p400e HSE
2015 Defender 110 Double cab
2004 Defender 90 Td5
Post #1032543 23rd Apr 2024 1:50pm
aquascape

United Kingdom 
I don’t think you can. It will automatically go into option 5 if needed (bottoms out, deep water etc) and then I think you can select option 6 once it is in option 5 if you see what I mean. MY23 D250 Defender 110 X-Dynamic SE, Carpathian Grey, 7 Seat, Electric Towbar
Post #1032546 23rd Apr 2024 2:17pm
XplusYplusZ

carltb wrote:
How do I put it in number 5 on your list?

You can't trigger it manually. The vehicle will only do it automatically if it senses it is not fully being supported by the wheels (eg beached or starts to float).

During my landrover experience day, they found a particularly sharp break-over obstacle, stopping the car with the peak of the breakover in the mid section of the car, they then lowered the car into access mode. As the sills/bottom of the car started to touch the ground, and weight transferred away from the wheels, the extended mode kicked in.

I'd guess you could also use a jack, or potentially a large/long log as a lever and lift the vehicle.

Once in extended mode, there is an option of choosing #6 holding the 'up' button.

They said it would even do it if someone was underneath the vehicle and the suspension was lowered onto them. I'm not sure how squashed the person would be before this triggers - the mrs refuses to let me test it on her.
Post #1032550 23rd Apr 2024 3:10pm
jordjdw87

Scotland 
XplusYplusZ wrote:
Mine does the same, after parking in access mode, the load lowering button will drop it another inch or so.

So it means we have:
1. lowest level loading height
2. access mode height
3. normal height
4. offroad height
5. offroad extension auto 1st level height
6. offroad extension manual 2nd level height

I don't think there's an option to adjust the access height, height. BUT, apparently you can whack the hazard lights on, and using the key fob, you can lower/raise the tailgate. I have yet to try it, but I guess you could potentially do this, and lower the tailgate to the lowest level before exiting the vehicle... (bit of a faff but could be done I think)

Thanks - I’ve seen that ability but yea, a total faff! Really I want the tailgate lowering to its lowest height without interaction… it’s for the dogs!
Post #1032562 23rd Apr 2024 4:27pm
LR Nuts

XplusYplusZ wrote:

I always thought that 'drop' to be the ladies entry exit mode Rolling with laughter
Post #1032567 23rd Apr 2024 5:31pm
XplusYplusZ

Last night I parked up, dropped to access mode, popped the hazards on and then used the key to lower the rear a bit more. It worked, but the change is almost imperceptible at the front. You’ll only notice it at the rear.
I also tested it from outside, and it is kinda fun controlling the car from a distance. ::Big kid::
Post #1032619 24th Apr 2024 7:33am
jordjdw87

Scotland 
I did it too Laughing

And you’ve hit my point - it is the extra drop at the back that I want as the standard, like I said in my previous post it’s for my dogs jumping in and out of the car!

Looks like I’ll need to get used to the buttons, or check out the GAP tooling
Post #1032621 24th Apr 2024 7:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1