↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Definitive answer on MT82 gearbox fill plug!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Yes, I've met a fair few of those in my time. Laughing

The MT82 has rather a lot of inviting-looking things on the outside which you are really much better off not unscrewing! Rolling with laughter
Post #1016160 23rd Nov 2023 2:18pm
EK7

Australia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
Thanks to all for a very helpful thread… A New member too, based in Oz. I find all the info on Defender2.Net super helpful Thumbs Up

I too have inadvertently used the “Not the Fill Plug” after following a YouTube video which clearly showed that it WAS the fill plug! Shocked ...So it must be very common practice.

…Just to be sure, is it definitely the consensus that either the “Fill Plug” OR the “Not the Fill Plug” can be used to refill the 2.2l of Transmission oil in the Defender MT82 gearbox?

If the “Not the Fill Plug” is used, will the oil definitely flow where it should go throughout the gearbox?

Or should I drain it and refill using the official “Fill Plug”?
Post #1017679 7th Dec 2023 2:51am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
There is only one place for the oil inside the MT82, so however you get it there it will be in the right place. The risk when using any of the "not the fill plugs" is that things come adrift inside the box which cannot be put back where they should be without a full strip down. For that reason it is advisable to spend a little extra time and trouble to identify the "this really is the fill plug" plug before you start.

There is certainly no need to drain and refill because the oil when in through the wrong hole.
Post #1017691 7th Dec 2023 12:12pm
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
I keep having a chuckle here... I've had my truck nearly two years.. I did all the oils when I got it so I knew where I was..
I think I just filled to the plug levels.. That's what I was used to doing with other vehicles I've had..
Couple months back I did the clutch and drained the two boxes..but kept the oil..
When I came to refill them I think I had nearly 2 litres spare😳😂..
By then I had through forums like this an idea that the gearbox could be overfilled so the right quantity was used to refill.. 👍🤣
The daft thing is I didn't developed any leaks or see any obvious signs that I'd dropped a Censored ..
But after everything went back in I now have a leak from either the gearbox output seal or the transfare input seal😩.. That and a crankshaft oil seal all have to be revisited😢
But the help and information available on the forum from folk who know these trucks so well is much appreciated.. Thanks👍
Post #1017694 7th Dec 2023 12:36pm
EK7

Australia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
blackwolf wrote:
There is only one place for the oil inside the MT82, so however you get it there it will be in the right place. The risk when using any of the "not the fill plugs" is that things come adrift inside the box which cannot be put back where they should be without a full strip down. For that reason it is advisable to spend a little extra time and trouble to identify the "this really is the fill plug" plug before you start.

There is certainly no need to drain and refill because the oil when in through the wrong hole.

Thanks. That’s what I was trying to do by watching the YouTube video! Interestingly the black ‘not the filler plug’ looks exactly the same as the “filler plug” which I have since pulled out and checked. Both 8mm hex too. Whereas all the other plugs which I assume are the structural ones (and which I didn’t touch) are 12mm hex. …With further online research, the number of people on YouTube using the “not filler plug” to refill their gearboxes, it seems like there are two filler plugs in the Defender MT82!? Another Defender quirk? Or communication breakdown between the LR engineers and the workshop manual designers? …Whatever, in future I will use the ‘correct’ filler plug.
Post #1017729 7th Dec 2023 7:12pm
Yannis

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Does anyone have the part numbers for the fill and the not fill bolts. Mine are both on the edge of being rounded….
Post #1032115 19th Apr 2024 9:44am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
The fill and drain plugs are part number LR005008. I’m not sure about the “not the fill plug”.

See part 7 in diagram. https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-r...case_45025

Note . I replaced my fill and drain plugs with magnetic ones that have a Hex head. Obviously the fill plug is above the oil level, so the magnet makes no difference. However I used the magnetic drain plug their as the hex head helps when fitting and torquing, plus eases removal and identification for next time and being hex will not round if you use a tight fitting 6 point 13mm socket.

https://foundry4x4.co.uk/index.php?route=p...duct_id=64

Ps. My advice would be to change the fill and drain plugs for the magnetic hex head ones and leave the not the fill plug alone if it is torqued up as it does not seem to serve any “official “ purpose in our application of the MT82. Noting the magnetic hex ones seem cheaper on line than the LR non magnetic ones !
Post #1032124 19th Apr 2024 10:54am
hornet

For your information, the MT82 has a built in magnet, additional magnetic screws are not harmful but are of little use. I wish I had placed one in my oil pan when I fitted the oil temperature sensor.

https://up.picr.de/37693550tf.jpg

Number 16 in https://www.lrworkshop.com/de/diagrams/lan...case_45025
Post #1032141 19th Apr 2024 2:02pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Thanks hornet,
I’m aware there’s a magnet in the gearbox. However having an additional magnet in the drain plug will also catch ferrous materials, allow that material to be removed, and provide a visual indicator on how the gearbox internals are wearing. Plus they are no more expensive than a standard plug and have the hex head. So no downside to using them.
Post #1032274 20th Apr 2024 11:46pm
hornet

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thumbs Up absolutely!
Post #1032415 22nd Apr 2024 4:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123