Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
robbo22

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Defender Puma wiper stalk assembly

Click image to enlarge

Afternoon,

Just changed my ignition switch which went on well and got to reassembling the dash to find out my wiper stalk wasn’t responding. After taking the dash apart i notice this cable was unattached from somewhere. I can’t work out where it terminates. Any help will be much appreciated!

Click image to enlarge
Post #1030715 6th Apr 2024 2:05pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Any help? This is a Lucas branded switch (and it is interesting to see the obvious economies compared to the factory-fitted switch in your pics). Your wire appears to be part of the squirt switch, which is unfortunate since it disappears into the bowels of the assembly.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1030717 6th Apr 2024 2:23pm
robbo22

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Thanks for the reply Blackwolf. Love your build! Has given me losts of inspiration for my current 110 conversion. I saw on another forum that the black wire is wedged in the stalk assembly .. seems doubtful but after the reassembly it works!

Source - https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/was...ng.316775/
Post #1030722 6th Apr 2024 3:42pm
blackwolf

That's a useful find. The wire that had come adrift is the "internal" connection between Pin 6 on the switch connector and the internal S113 in the diagram below., taken from your linked thread, and it provides the 12V feed into the push button squirter switch. it is evident from the thread you linked to that it is supposed to be connected to the metal core of the stalk. I presume that at the button end of the stalk the other wire is just pressed against the metal core to activate the squirter. Pretty crude, bet we are talking 1970's Lucas, Prince of Darkness!

I am not sure where the linked diagram (reproduced below) comes from, but it is worth reproducing here since one of the many errors in the Puma manual is the total omission of a critical internal link in the wiper switch, shown correctly in this earlier version of the diagram. As it happens the link that broke in your switch is the one which is simply omitted from the Puma manual.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1030724 6th Apr 2024 4:04pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Some of those female sockets commonly slip off as well if loose, from the male pins or the crimp fails.

I’d imagine that the crimp has failed into the area where BW showed the pictures, unless it’s soldered down in there.
If it’s not soldered, you might find the remains of the female socket crimp residing on the pin still.

You might be able to get needle nose pliers in there to pull it out, slightly open the wings of the crimp and the recrimp and refit the female socket on the male pin.

If it’s soldered on like I think BW is mentioning, then that makes it a bit more difficult to re-solder if it’s in close proximity. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 6th Apr 2024 11:26pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1030761 6th Apr 2024 8:04pm
blackwolf

I think it was just wedged in between the bare metal stalk and the plastic part the stalk is pushed in to. It's a depressingly cheap and nasty part, but Lucas does have a reputation to maintain!
Post #1030782 6th Apr 2024 10:51pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Does sound about right, so it seems Lucas take a close 2nd place just behind Britpart for poor quality winners. For free speech reasons, I’m using satire here. Laughing

I remember when I fitted mine, one of the sockets (a different one, a live for main beam) popped off of a terminal unbeknownst to me, purely because it was incredibly loose from new.
Once the socket was closed a little I was quite happy with it once refitted, but, from any factory quality control should exist.
The other possibility is damage in transit of these items, and it’s common for things to be bashed around a lot in courier and RM transport and logistics hubs etc.

On the bright side, at least these parts are being made still, if they weren’t that would be much more of a problem, such as that of vintage cars where so many things need to be bespoke and that’s a whole different ball game. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1030787 6th Apr 2024 11:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1