Home > Td5 > Slickshift fitted today
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Slickshift fitted today
Hello again,
I fitted the slickshift to my 2004 90 today. Didn’t take long, watching the videos beforehand helped.
However (there always seems to be a however with me!), the bias springs either have lost their grunt, or the turret housing is excessively worn because I couldn’t lose the slack, even at max adjustment of the adjustment bolts. I know replacements are available but as usual don’t want to overspend unless necessary. I happy with the shorter shift (as well as the LOF spring upgrade) but the change is ‘notchy’. I guess there is no repair kit or stronger bias spring? Mileage is 125k. I must say everything was very clean in there, complete with gaiters and foam padding etc but as per the fitting video, I found it impossible to undo the Allen bolt (to be able to replace the nylon collar bit).
Post #1029843 30th Mar 2024 5:59pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
The allen bolt is a bit of a big. I had my impact driver on it with a Hex+ bit in being very careful not to strip it.

Could be that your cup is worn and needs replacing. You can get new turrets which arent very expensive tbf. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1029844 30th Mar 2024 6:05pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
I think I’ll give it another go - trying to get that Allen bolt out so I change the sleeve (blue in the new kit). Something is telling me that the bias springs were doing at least something with the old set up. I’m wondering if the new kit does need to be fitted as a set. The video fitting was a few years ago I think, so maybe something has changed and using the old sleeve won’t give the bias springs enough tension? If it doesn’t work, I haven’t lost anything and will have to cough up for a new turret.

Any further tips for removal of the Allen bolt whilst in the car, not on a bench? Heat? Long bar of some home made design, penetrating fluid?

Cheers.
Post #1029898 31st Mar 2024 10:10am
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
Heat directly on the grub screw. Its loctite permanent on there. Thumbs Up 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #1029941 31st Mar 2024 4:38pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Cheers 👍
Post #1029965 31st Mar 2024 6:48pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Progress
Hi all, just thought I’d update on the slick shift. I managed to get the grub screw / Allen bolt out with very little fuss using a 5mm? Hex bit with my standard socket set. It came out before I got the heat gun or blow torch out.

I had a look at the gear selector turret / housing new replacements and although I might be wearing the rose tinted specs, the new ones don’t look significantly different (I’m talking about the slots). Looking at one of my photos, the adjusting bolts won’t ever be doing much as the spring doesn’t really start pressuring the side tabs / pivots on the selector ‘shaft?’

Are the bias springs out of shape?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1030115 1st Apr 2024 8:14pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
New one

Click image to enlarge
Post #1030116 1st Apr 2024 8:33pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
They should do. The pins on the selector yoke sit quite high up in the slots. This one is well out of adjustment but shows the principle.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1030117 1st Apr 2024 8:33pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
My yolk sat way down lower than that, although from your photo it looks as though it’s in first gear or just left side of neutral? I hope when I get back out there it is the new seat / bush that will raise the yolk up.
Post #1030145 1st Apr 2024 11:31pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Update - solved
[quote="Retroanaconda"]They should do. The pins on the selector yoke sit quite high up in the slots. This one is well out of adjustment but shows the principle.

I can confirm that fitting the new blue bush / sleeve made all the difference. Now is fine ! 👍
Hope it helps others. Thanks for advice / help, really helps and motivates us novices to try things ourselves and begin to learn about these old girls.
Post #1030421 3rd Apr 2024 8:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1