↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Suspension upgrade - mixed use
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Epicurus1992

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Suspension upgrade - mixed use
Hi everyone, I'm looking for suspension recommendations from anyone who uses their landy in a similar way to me. My '05 TD5 Defender CSW wears a lot of different hats as an overlander, light green laner, daily driver and general-purpose workhorse. The shocks, springs and damper (original spec) are servicable but a bit rusty and saggy so I'm looking to upgrade them. If it was always in overlanding mode with rooftop tent on and rammed full of camping gear I'd go for a heavy duty set up like OME, but I'm worried it will be too stiff and high for daily unloaded use. The problem is that in the summer it's often loaded, but in the winter it will normally just be empty with a roof rack on.

Does anyone use the Terra firma 'TF199 - Standard ride height heavy load suspension kit' (https://terrafirma4x4.com/standard-ride-height-heavy-load-suspension-kit-defender-110-all-terrain-shocks.html)?

Any advice gratefully received... Thanks.

PS: I'm new to the forum so if this is in the wrong place or has been discussed before (couldn'd find anything), apologies!
Post #1033525 1st May 2024 5:39pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
2 bits of advice.

Talk to Gwyn Lewis about suspension. (Think his explorer setup may work for you)

And

Avoid anything terrafirma. It’s poo.
Post #1033527 1st May 2024 6:02pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Agree to avoid Terrafirma, yellow springs aren’t great either. (Britpart I think).

I’d look at Gwyn’s options or D44. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 1st May 2024 7:14pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1033530 1st May 2024 6:14pm
Epicurus1992

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Thanks landy andy and custom90.

Very good to know on terra firma- it did seem a bit suspiciously cheap!

Have you used the Gwyn Lewis explorer set up yourself? I'll give him a call.

Cheers
Post #1033531 1st May 2024 6:36pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Avoid terrafirma at all costs.

Speak to Gwne Lewis or use the calculator on Old Man Emus website in Australia. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1033536 1st May 2024 7:04pm
andylee

United Kingdom 
Old Man Emu Nitroshocks and standard springs works for me, would recommend as very happy with them for road and offroad.
Post #1033537 1st May 2024 7:08pm
8619simon

Wales 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I’ve got the Gwyn Lewis explorer kit on my 300Tdi 110. Same use as you, overlander, daily and horse trailer towing duties. Been very happy with it in all situations and terrains. Suspension is always going to be a compromise but as has been said talk to Gwyn and explain what you use the vehicle for and he can advise.
Post #1033548 1st May 2024 8:03pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Avoid Terrafirma.

For your use case, I would go for LR heavy-duty springs and Bilstein dampers, or Koni adjustables if you can afford them. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #1033572 2nd May 2024 8:22am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
landy andy wrote:
2 bits of advice.

Talk to Gwyn Lewis about suspension. (Think his explorer setup may work for you)

And

Avoid anything terrafirma. It’s poo.

Spot on. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1033588 2nd May 2024 10:09am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
OME shocks with std genuine springs and air bags in the rear to help when shes is loaded up.

if you use progressive springs it will help comfort when lightly loaded. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1033589 2nd May 2024 10:10am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: Suspension upgrade - mixed use
Epicurus1992 wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm looking for suspension recommendations from anyone who uses their landy in a similar way to me. My '05 TD5 Defender CSW wears a lot of different hats as an overlander, light green laner, daily driver and general-purpose workhorse. The shocks, springs and damper (original spec) are servicable but a bit rusty and saggy so I'm looking to upgrade them. If it was always in overlanding mode with rooftop tent on and rammed full of camping gear I'd go for a heavy duty set up like OME, but I'm worried it will be too stiff and high for daily unloaded use. The problem is that in the summer it's often loaded, but in the winter it will normally just be empty with a roof rack on.

Does anyone use the Terra firma 'TF199 - Standard ride height heavy load suspension kit' (https://terrafirma4x4.com/standard-ride-height-heavy-load-suspension-kit-defender-110-all-terrain-shocks.html)?

Any advice gratefully received... Thanks.

PS: I'm new to the forum so if this is in the wrong place or has been discussed before (couldn'd find anything), apologies!

Do you have a budget in mind?

Also what sort of lanes and off road, do you have traction control or anything like LSD or locking diffs?

Standard suspension is a pretty good balance all round, you'll be hard to top it in every category.

However it is still easy to cross axle a standard vehicle, so some +2" shocks can really help out off road, although if you have traction control or other traction aids, then keeping all 4 wheels on the ground isn't quite so important.

I'm guessing it is a 110 you have based on the link?

Defenders already sit pretty high, so you shouldn't really need to lift them. Compared to other 4x4s its like Land Rover included a lift as part of the basic design. Although a 110 does have a poorer breakover angel compared to a 90, so a small 1" lift might help here. I wouldn't have thought yours is really "sagging", that isn't really how coil springs work.

If you do go for longer shocks you'll either need longer springs or dislocation cones to stop the springs falling out of the spring seats. But I personally probably wouldn't go for HD springs unless you plan to be loaded most of the time, as the ride will be bouncy and harsh when lightly loaded.

If you want a more budget shock, look at the Britpart Celluar Dynamic shocks, they are a twin tube design, so will work very well when loaded.
https://www.paddockspares.com/off-road/sus...mpers.html

I quite like the Flatdog springs: https://www.flatdoguk.com/def%2D110%2D%2B1%2D%2F%2Dhd%2D1%7E637

You might also want to consider new bushes while you are at it. They can make a big difference to ride and handling if the old ones are worn out.

Polybush offer 3 different grades (comfort, performance & dynamic): https://www.polybush.co.uk/polyurethane-su...2-onwards/

As you are sometimes loaded with weight up high, you might also want to consider anti roll bars if you haven't got them currently fitted. Or the air spring assisters that fit inside the springs.
https://www.devon4x4.com/air-suspension-aid-110.html

For standard height or +1" you won't need anything like castor correction kits or new radius arms.

I would suggest fitting some open style turrets on the front though, makes things so much eaiser next time round.

https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/product/front-s...rs-gl1056/
Post #1033602 2nd May 2024 11:44am
Will.I.AM

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Kaikoura Stone
My 130 is very simular to yours in ass far as i use it for a 14 mile daily commute, towing light and heavy, light greenlaning and then for instance we are about to leave next week for a 3000mile trim into france and spain loaded up.

I have gone throguh 3 sets of terrafirma suspension and i am on my best set up yet. I got spring coil in sheffield to make the springs to the terrafirma 2 inch light duty spec on front and 2 inch medium duty on the back (i would do light for both on yours being a 110 for the most comfort) but made them for a 5 inch lift as mine is lifted so needed to base the spec on a spring that worked previously but with the extra lift. I have tried terrafirma shocks on but they are all crap in all honesty - i now have OME medium duty shocks from Glyn Lewis and they are perfect.

if you dont have a budget then i would go for an air set up from Onair - i have done a 90 myself and air is the best as it gives you serious comfort and height or lowering for off road or kerb crawling and these come with fox shocks - otherwise next best would go for Glyn Lewis springs and then fox shocks or if this is still above budget and as in my case (i didn't want to spend the money on fox) got the OME shocks firstly as they are good for a 5 inch lift and secondly are decent and offer a good ride. Defender 130 HCPU TD5
Post #1033604 2nd May 2024 11:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
andylee wrote:
Old Man Emu Nitroshocks and standard springs works for me, would recommend as very happy with them for road and offroad.

Second this - along with superpro bushes and sumubars.

Mine gets used for camping trips, minibus using the seven seats, towing scout trailers and carrying two Canadian canoes on the roof with bike rack on the back.
Post #1033611 2nd May 2024 12:54pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Running +5" shocks is probably un-needed for most. You'll be needing new upper spring mounts, extended brake lines and custom wide angle props. Only real benefit would be for extreme flex off road on technical terrain.
Post #1033612 2nd May 2024 1:03pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
I’ve put Gwyn Lewis +2 inch kit on the front of my 110 only, so far. They were a big improvement over both the britpart and monroe shocks fitted before with improved ride and damping. Rear kit to follow!
Post #1033614 2nd May 2024 2:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>