↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > General which diesel is best for the D250 engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
taffy

United Kingdom 
General which diesel is best for the D250 engine
Hi All I seem to be posting to the wrong def site bit of wong and wing what do you all reccomend re best diesel for my forthcomeing Def SE D250

And how do I post this e mail? :
Post #1045192 8th Sep 2024 12:01pm
H1Tad

United States 
y'all have different grades of diesel? Thats wild. We only get ULSD over here (which murders my injection pump) and offroad diesel. 2022 Defender 110 SE P400 Tasman Blue Expedition and Cold weather package
2003 Hummer H1 P400 Firehouse Red
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Post #1045210 8th Sep 2024 1:34pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
No, there is only one type diesel, but some of the oil companies sell some sort of premium placebo fuel for if you have too much money.
Post #1045235 8th Sep 2024 6:16pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Re: General which diesel is best for the D250 engine
taffy wrote:
Hi All I seem to be posting to the wrong def site bit of wong and wing what do you all reccomend re best diesel for my forthcomeing Def SE D250

And how do I post this e mail? :

Don't over think it. I use any regular diesel from mainstream brands to supermarket in my D250. Always done the same in all my cars. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1045236 8th Sep 2024 6:28pm
walfy

Only diesel that goes in my 250 is from the following outlets in order of preference

Shell/BP
ESSO
Texaco

I NEVER use supermarket fuel be that run of the mill supermarket or COSTCO. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #1045521 11th Sep 2024 10:48am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Just add Millers Diesel Power Ecomax to your tank. You will not regret it :thumbs-up:

The Millers Diesel Power Ecomax is a high specification diesel fuel treatment for enhanced combustion efficiency and engine cleanliness, with improved detergency and lubricity enhancers.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-o...lsrc=aw.ds For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #1045547 11th Sep 2024 1:34pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Any standard diesel, plus the product Gilarion mentioned. I use it permanently.

I wouldn’t use super diesel and the additive, or mix additives.
And once you start using it, keep using it or if you have to, revert back to standard diesel.

I only trust the Millers, personally. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 11th Sep 2024 9:37pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1045550 11th Sep 2024 2:32pm
H1Tad

United States 
I'm sure its been mentioned before but steer clear of any diesel additive that is an emulsifier. It will add water to your fuel - and water is neither a good fuel nor a good lubricant. With the alcohol that is added to our diesel these days - water is drawn to it like a fly to stink. 2022 Defender 110 SE P400 Tasman Blue Expedition and Cold weather package
2003 Hummer H1 P400 Firehouse Red
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Post #1045569 11th Sep 2024 4:50pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Unless you’re buying the premium stuff with additives etc. (which is unnecessary) then diesel is diesel - just fill it when you need it. It all comes out of the same tanks at the refinery.
Post #1045591 11th Sep 2024 9:33pm
taffy

United Kingdom 
thanks everyone for the advice my boat diesel engine has filters to extract the water from the diesel which is the same as car diesel soi I was wondering why a diesel car engine did not have such a filter but it appears there is no filter which I find strange anyway thanks for the adfvice re Millers I will check it out
Post #1045594 11th Sep 2024 11:09pm
ruben

Spain 
You say there is no filter? Yes, there is a filter and water decanter!! Defender 110 SE I6 D 23MY
Post #1045595 11th Sep 2024 11:15pm
taffy

United Kingdom 
thats interesting I will have to find that when I get the 90 at the end of the month how often do you change the filter
Post #1045623 12th Sep 2024 11:37am
Moo

Ukraine 
Retroanaconda wrote:
Unless you’re buying the premium stuff with additives etc. (which is unnecessary) then diesel is diesel - just fill it when you need it. It all comes out of the same tanks at the refinery.

Exactly. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1045655 12th Sep 2024 5:47pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
We have a Yeti 4x4 170 tdi and on the occasion we have put V-Power diesel in both my wife and I notice that it runs smother and quieter, just enough to notice anyway. There’s also a small improvement in mpg which goes some way to offsetting the extra cost. 23.5MY 90 V8 Carpathian
Post #1045666 12th Sep 2024 8:13pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Taffy - Ruben is correct, there is a water drain on the Defdnder Puma fuel filter.
I’m not sure if LR schedule it to be ch aged bi annual with each basic service or every magor service every 4 years or whichever miles comes first.
It shouldn’t be older than 4 years for sure, personally I’d say it’s a good idea to change them every 2 years they aren’t that expensive, but they need to be pre primed with diesel and the head is a bayonet fitting. You don’t want an empty fuel filter fitted or any air locks, the puma is a pain to bleed if that happens and won’t start.

Nuclear nick - Agree.
Basically if you use millers and standard diesel that’s the same as running V power permanently.
Just using standard diesel a little MPG drops off, the engine doesn’t run quite so nicely and the performance is a little more vague.
I try and keep the dosage standard and as accurate as possible to what’s expected, it’s not even a faff as the bottle works really nicely and measures the quantity required within the head of the bottle.
Just then tip in the measured amount and then fill up to that amount with diesel in the fuel tank and it will self mix.
I’ve been using it for about 50k now permannely.

Only thing to be careful of is not to lose or drop the cap into the fuel filler on the Defender, you can wear gloves and don’t spill it or get it on hands but when you are used to using it you never spill a drop anyway.
K9F on here used to use it permanently, so do I and there is other members that do use it as well.

I think super diesel is more expensive, and just the same effect and standard diesel is more readily available hence why I use standard diesel.

This is just what I do, I just use any diesel typically Asda now and that’s supplied by Texaco as they deliver there anyway, all comes from the same refineries.

I did have to fill up without additive recently, as I didn’t have any which is rare as I didn’t have the bottle with me. No problem with that, but performance was a little more flat, and the fuel ran out faster in my opinion. I’m confident the millers pays for itself in MPG gain and runs nicer, more power and more smooth, helps keep diesel bug at bay too I think so anyway. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1045668 12th Sep 2024 8:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>