Home > Tdi > Defender TDI 200 (1991) Master Light Switch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
cykoh85

Malaysia 1990 Defender 110 200 Tdi SW Santorini Black
Defender TDI 200 (1991) Master Light Switch
Hi,

Does anyone know where the master light switch fuse is located, as shown in the attached photo?
It's completely malfunctioning: no lights, no brake lights, no license plate light, etc.

Any relay of this switch?

Thank you.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1041276 29th Jul 2024 3:03pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The likelihood is the switch needs replacing, the contacts burnout on them after a while unless you use an aftermarket headlight loom, the other circuits you mention are associated but it’s the headlights which draw the load.

I would imagine, unless there is a short the fuse is not blown and it’s the switch itself as it is common. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1041277 29th Jul 2024 3:34pm
cykoh85

Hi,

Ok, so does that mean this unit does not have any relay or fuse?

Thank you for the information.
Post #1041320 30th Jul 2024 2:24am
Blue Blood

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Bonatti Grey
There is no relay on this switch I believe. The power runs direct from battery through this switch and burns the contacts out. I bought a boomslang red bison after market to use two waterproof relays. I didn’t think much to it as was so I modified it to suit my liking 😊.

Long and short if it’s not the main fuse above the tunnel, a dodgy connection or earth then it is more than likely the stalk switch.
Post #1044611 2nd Sep 2024 9:50pm
MarkBrown

Wales 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
The main fuses are above the gearbox tunnel, as said. If I remember the brake light, indicators and blower motor are on one fuse, there’s fuses for the side lights, possibly each one, then main and dip, one for each side. I had a fault with a switch, but it was the dim dip and it had burnt contacts/ melted plastic.

I also had repeated problems with the new rear lights blowing fuses due to poor contacts, but this was solved by fitting led units.

The wiring looms chaff through inside the chassis rails, causing all sorts of odd things, such as flashing brake lights and indicators coming on with the brakes.
Post #1044614 2nd Sep 2024 9:59pm
cykoh85

Blue Blood wrote:
There is no relay on this switch I believe. The power runs direct from battery through this switch and burns the contacts out. I bought a boomslang red bison after market to use two waterproof relays. I didn’t think much to it as was so I modified it to suit my liking 😊.

Long and short if it’s not the main fuse above the tunnel, a dodgy connection or earth then it is more than likely the stalk switch.

Hi Blue Blood,

Thank you for the information! Please see the attached photo with the red circle. I opened it last month and noticed that the switch is loose and doesn't stay in place when I turn on the light.

So I found a way to temporarily keep it in place. Hahahaha...Just using it for a while before it stops working completely. hahahaha

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1044624 3rd Sep 2024 4:34am
cykoh85

MarkBrown wrote:
The main fuses are above the gearbox tunnel, as said. If I remember the brake light, indicators and blower motor are on one fuse, there’s fuses for the side lights, possibly each one, then main and dip, one for each side. I had a fault with a switch, but it was the dim dip and it had burnt contacts/ melted plastic.

I also had repeated problems with the new rear lights blowing fuses due to poor contacts, but this was solved by fitting led units.

The wiring looms chaff through inside the chassis rails, causing all sorts of odd things, such as flashing brake lights and indicators coming on with the brakes.

Hi MarkBrown

Ok, thank you for your information and thanks for your sharing.

love it. Smile
Post #1044625 3rd Sep 2024 4:35am
Blue Blood

The contacts look quite clean from that photo like they have barely any wearing on them, may sound silly are they making proper contact?
It may be worth getting the old multimeter and check the switch and also the wiring itself for continuity?
Past that it’s got me stumped 🤔

cykoh85 wrote:
Blue Blood wrote:

Hi Blue Blood,

Thank you for the information! Please see the attached photo with the red circle. I opened it last month and noticed that the switch is loose and doesn't stay in place when I turn on the light.

So I found a way to temporarily keep it in place. Hahahaha...Just using it for a while before it stops working completely. hahahaha

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1044648 3rd Sep 2024 12:15pm
cykoh85

Yes Blue Blood.

The contacts look fine, and I suspect it's just loose in that area. Haha... maybe I'll double-check all the wiring and see. Smile Very Happy
Post #1044913 5th Sep 2024 2:22pm
L110CDL

England 
Hi there
I've had this problem over the years with the light switch not lasting long and not being genuine, so i paid the extra to have a genuine one and so far so good. There is a difference in the switches and you can see this on page 58 in " My 110 Millie " Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1045486 10th Sep 2024 9:25pm
Blue Blood

Definitely agree with that. Genuine all the way for switches but also just add a slight modification in the way of a headlight loom containing a relay. It’ll protect those more expensive genuine switches too 😉.
They are dead simple to install and can be made up fairly easily if you didn’t want to buy one off the shelf.
Post #1045488 10th Sep 2024 9:33pm
cykoh85

L110CDL wrote:
Hi there
I've had this problem over the years with the light switch not lasting long and not being genuine, so i paid the extra to have a genuine one and so far so good. There is a difference in the switches and you can see this on page 58 in " My 110 Millie " Thumbs Up

Hi there

Oh, Ok, i will find it out, thanks for sharing Smile
Post #1045507 11th Sep 2024 3:28am
cykoh85

Blue Blood wrote:
Definitely agree with that. Genuine all the way for switches but also just add a slight modification in the way of a headlight loom containing a relay. It’ll protect those more expensive genuine switches too 😉.
They are dead simple to install and can be made up fairly easily if you didn’t want to buy one off the shelf.

Thanks Bruv Smile
Post #1045508 11th Sep 2024 3:29am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Blue Blood wrote:

Or can get rid of the sealed beams (they are hard to come by anyhow) and replace with LED headlamps. They consume much less current so the switch will not melt down. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1045524 11th Sep 2024 11:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1