Home > Td5 > Injector harness replaced
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Wag

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Injector harness replaced
So gents
After a few issues (cranking not starting ) I decided to replace the injector harness and replace the washers and seals on the injectors, all straight forward as I had reading previous posts on subject. Now there is 41k on my td5 and I don't think this job was tackled by the previous owner. I was surprised how much oil was in the connector.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I did cut into the injector harness at injector 5 and bare back to the copper wire and found oil there. I thought the main connector was the culprit.
The starting issue was a loose fuel pump relay is this a sign of a faulty relay and is it safe to cable tie it to keep it seated .
Did Land rover ever use brown coloured injector sealing o rings. ?
How do the used copper washers look?
Oil level seem okay ,should I drop the oil out.?
No oil at the red ecu connector
This job was only completed with the knowledge from the forum
Thanks
Post #1045129 7th Sep 2024 8:01pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Main problem of oil in injector harness are two blue orings on the connector between injector harness and engine harness. Over time they stop sealing and let oil pass them into the female connector and engine harness. Male connector is sealed and male pins are held in some epoxy, so oil can flow only throught those orings, pins in female connector are loose to compensate and align their position during mating, not designet to seal internally.
Oil in harness is not a problem, it is non conductive, but a bit ugly. The biggest problem are female pins in connectors mating to injectors. They get weak during time, because of hot/cold cycles and looses contacts. Injectors are powered from ECU wit 85V and 25A so any non prefect contact leads to problem with injectors controlling. ECU is monitoring the current through injector during the time of injection and adjusting it.
I prefare to replace these two blue orings and press a bit tight female pins in injector connectors, than replacing the harness with some aftermarket. I had some aftermarked harnesses with pins so weak, that it had bad contact inmediatelly after instalation and it was not possible to tighten them. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1045163 8th Sep 2024 6:56am
Wag

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Thanks for the info,I did use genuine harness and applied some additional gasket sealer using the info on a previous topic/post I had read here, hopefully it will slow the progress of further contamination. If it is the blue orings that fail it an issue that will ha e to be monitored.
Post #1045213 8th Sep 2024 1:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1