↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Musings on low power, high air temp.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Musings on low power, high air temp.
I'm currently sat by a pool in Spain, beer in hamd, having driven down from the UK. Just.pindering this issue that has plagued Pumas since time immemorial. There is nothing new here...

Coming down over the Midi Pyrennees there are some very long Autoroute inclines. It was 34C ish ambient. If I sat at 100 km/h in top gear up some those very long climbs, the power would die. It would recovery eventually if I shifted down, lost speed and eased the throttle. But not before nearly being rear ended by a truck I'd just passed on one occasion! I've had worse problems when we were in the Pyrenees in 40c plus a few years ago.

Given the number of such motorway inclines in that neck of the woods, it was possible to try some mitigation strategies. It seems shifting down to 5th and dropping to 90 km/h is good for most situations, but it did recur once on a long steep grade. 4th 80-85 seems to solve the problem at those temps at least, but that's not pleasant in a Puma, which don't seem to enjoy revving.

On reflection it seems to me that relying on our Puma's ample torque puts too much heat into the coolant than the ECU thinks is safe. Has anyone properly solved this issue? There are fan spacers, alternative thermostats, bigger intercoolers and radiators.

It would be nice to have a solution that would allow at least 5th to be maintained at 100km/h if stating in 6th is too much to ask. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1042935 16th Aug 2024 5:41pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
That does sound like a faulty VCV to be honest as that is what happens with that, at least mine did but never puts up a DTC as that isn’t part of the system.

Beyond that, an Intercooler upgrade especially if any tune is present.
Fresh coolant also can knock a few Degrees off coolant and engine temps.

You really shouldn’t be losing power in 6th unless heavily laden or towing heavy, regardless of ambient temp.
Turbo actuator light lube, keeping clean MAF and MAP sensors and clean filters, fuel, oil etc all are good but a failing or aged VCV knock’s off top end power for sure.

I also just run regular diesel, but wherever possible I always run Millers Diesel additive and have now for about 60k miles. This is just what I do, but I think it keeps the turbo cleaner internally and the injectors.

Does anything here seem to ring any bells that might be any use?

I’ve tried an aftermarket supposedly “OEM” air filter before too, and when swapped back to Genuine could find how restrictive that was.
That’s why I stick to Genuine service parts, not cheap but you can get problems from other parts which is defeating the point of servicing anyway. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1042941 16th Aug 2024 6:46pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Re: Musings on low power, high air temp.
Bluest wrote:
I'm currently sat by a pool in Spain, beer in hamd, having driven down from the UK. Just.pindering this issue that has plagued Pumas since time immemorial. There is nothing new here...

Coming down over the Midi Pyrennees there are some very long Autoroute inclines. It was 34C ish ambient. If I sat at 100 km/h in top gear up some those very long climbs, the power would die. It would recovery eventually if I shifted down, lost speed and eased the throttle. But not before nearly being rear ended by a truck I'd just passed on one occasion! I've had worse problems when we were in the Pyrenees in 40c plus a few years ago.

Given the number of such motorway inclines in that neck of the woods, it was possible to try some mitigation strategies. It seems shifting down to 5th and dropping to 90 km/h is good for most situations, but it did recur once on a long steep grade. 4th 80-85 seems to solve the problem at those temps at least, but that's not pleasant in a Puma, which don't seem to enjoy revving.

On reflection it seems to me that relying on our Puma's ample torque puts too much heat into the coolant than the ECU thinks is safe. Has anyone properly solved this issue? There are fan spacers, alternative thermostats, bigger intercoolers and radiators.

It would be nice to have a solution that would allow at least 5th to be maintained at 100km/h if stating in 6th is too much to ask.

Are you sure it’s overheating due to ambient temperature? I wonder if you are cruising in a too a high gear and labouring the engine. At what revs do you cruise and when do you change up?
Also do you have an OBD gauge to accurately live monitor temps, revs etc? WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #1042943 16th Aug 2024 7:21pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I wish I had electronic OBD readings of engine temp when I changed the coolant on mine, but based on the dash gauge the needle dropped ever so slightly after changing it.
It would have been nice to see the actual readings.

I think in hotter countries with regular high temps upgrades are a really good idea. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1042948 16th Aug 2024 7:43pm
Bluest

custom90 wrote:
That does sound like a faulty VCV to be honest as that is what happens with that, at least mine did but never puts up a DTC as that isn’t part of the system.

Beyond that, an Intercooler upgrade especially if any tune is present.
Fresh coolant also can knock a few Degrees off coolant and engine temps.

You really shouldn’t be losing power in 6th unless heavily laden or towing heavy, regardless of ambient temp.
Turbo actuator light lube, keeping clean MAF and MAP sensors and clean filters, fuel, oil etc all are good but a failing or aged VCV knock’s off top end power for sure.

I also just run regular diesel, but wherever possible I always run Millers Diesel additive and have now for about 60k miles. This is just what I do, but I think it keeps the turbo cleaner internally and the injectors.

Does anything here seem to ring any bells that might be any use?

I’ve tried an aftermarket supposedly “OEM” air filter before too, and when swapped back to Genuine could find how restrictive that was.
That’s why I stick to Genuine service parts, not cheap but you can get problems from other parts which is defeating the point of servicing anyway.

It's definitely not the VCV, the one in it is practically brand new and have had this issue with previous VCVs too.

I already use the Millers stuff and I don't use supermarket diesel.

I have a Nugget airbox and intake, bit again the issue was present before I had that. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1042951 16th Aug 2024 7:54pm
Bluest

Zed wrote:
Bluest wrote:

It would be nice to have a solution that would allow at least 5th to be maintained at 100km/h if stating in 6th is too much to ask.

Are you sure it’s overheating due to ambient temperature? I wonder if you are cruising in a too a high gear and labouring the engine. At what revs do you cruise and when do you change up?
Also do you have an OBD gauge to accurately live monitor temps, revs etc?

No live data, although I think my Nanocom can do it.

The issue occurs when cruising at 60-65 in sixth, long inclines, high ambient temps. No towing, but quite heavily loaded. It has never occured in the UK for me. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1042968 16th Aug 2024 9:03pm
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Have you got the ‘upgrade’ thermostat for hot countries? I believe it opens 10 degrees sooner iirc. 2008 2.4 110 Utility Station Wagon XS.
Post #1042970 16th Aug 2024 9:11pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Can you externally tell which is which with the thermostats in situ? NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1042971 16th Aug 2024 9:15pm
Zed

Bluest wrote:
Zed wrote:
Bluest wrote:

Also do you have an OBD gauge to accurately live monitor temps, revs etc?

No live data, although I think my Nanocom can do it.

The issue occurs when cruising at 60-65 in sixth, long inclines, high ambient temps. No towing, but quite heavily loaded. It has never occured in the UK for me.

What are the revs in those conditions? I’d have to go for a drive to check but pretty sure I would be in 5th not 6th. You are asking quite a lot from the engine and need to be in the power band. Plus cruising under 70 mph in 6th isn’t great for the gearbox.

If the nanocom can do it you should definitely record live values while driving, it should help you get to the bottom of it. WARNING.
Post #1042980 16th Aug 2024 9:54pm
Jerry

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Can I ask - why is it bad to go into 6th under 70mph? I change up at about 56 - should I change my ways? Thanks (Maybe I have misunderstood).
Post #1042982 16th Aug 2024 10:31pm
Bluest

So at 100km/h on the sat nav (62 mph) it's pulling about 2100rpm which is just about peak torque I think.

I assume standard thermostat, I've never changed it. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1043000 17th Aug 2024 9:32am
Zed

Jerry wrote:
Can I ask - why is it bad to go into 6th under 70mph? I change up at about 56 - should I change my ways? Thanks (Maybe I have misunderstood).

It’s not so much when changing up, although I depending on my mood I prefer to change gear between 2800 and 3200, but with my setup at least I feel it’s more mechanically sympathetic to cruise for longer periods in 6th at 70 mph plus. Under 70 I generally use 5th. Labouring in 6th can also cause mainshaft wear.
Obviously there will be rpm/speed differences depending on your ecu map, wheel size, transfer box ratio you are running and whether loaded, terrain etc but generally you can feel when the truck is running comfortably and when it is being stressed. WARNING.
Post #1043003 17th Aug 2024 11:02am
Zed

Duplicate post. WARNING.
Post #1043004 17th Aug 2024 11:02am
andy63

United Kingdom 
May be of interest or help..
Here's a photo of my trucks gear train ratios..
I think I was just checking my speedo against the calculated speed in the case shown ..ie at 2000rpm..
With my set up and tyres I'd be doing 58/59mph at 2000rpm which is pretty well what my speedo is recording..

Click image to enlarge
Post #1043008 17th Aug 2024 12:51pm
revd

United Kingdom 
100 km/h up a long incline on a hot day in 6th - you're labouring the engine - you need to increase the boost from the turbo by increasing the revs - so either speed up before the steep gradient or change down sooner
Post #1043009 17th Aug 2024 12:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>