Home > P400e Area (L663) > Solar charging
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
o-ren-ishii

Netherlands 
Solar charging
Hi all,

I have the P400e and currently using a seperate battery/converter solution (bluetti) with solarpanels. Settings them up every day (overlanding) becomes a PITA, so I'm looking for a more permanent solution.
The roofrack has no space left (cargo+tent) so pretty much the only option I think is left is to hookup a solarpanel to the bonnet. Like this:

Click image to enlarge

https://www.lensunsolar.com/Products/Hood-...uct_id=552

But.. how to combine this with the hybrid system? Would it be possible to just hook it up to the battery clamps under the hood? Or is this asking for trouble?

So far in the maintenance manual I could find out nothing about the electronic system. If found one very small 12v battery under the loadfloor, next to the huge Highvoltage battery. But other than that ... nothing.

Any of you guys/girls got experience with solar charging and the hybrid P400e system?
Post #1041123 27th Jul 2024 5:21pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Are you trying to charge the PHEV high voltage batteries to gain extra range? Or just the 12v battery to power auxiliaries?

Not sure the former would be possible without going through some sort of intermediate step - you could in theory get a solar panel that can charge a battery pack and then run a plug into the car but even a huge solar array would only give you maybe ~0.3kW at best so hardly worth it….

FYI I believe that the high voltage batteries charge the 12v batteries so as long as you have some range left you shouldn’t really have to worry about flattening your 12v battery

A bonnet / standalone solar panel would in theory save you from (very) slowly draining your HV batteries if running a fridge or something though; the Cascadia bonnet ones do indeed seem neat and come with a charger/controller that you can wire up to the terminals under the bonnet.

That’s what I’m going to do with my V8 for overlanding Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #1041164 28th Jul 2024 8:16am
o-ren-ishii

Netherlands 
Hi!
Thanks for your reply. Yeah it’s ment to charge a “aux” battery but since there’s no space left to put another one I was thinking about connecting it to the car 12v battery and use that one for lighting and fridge.

All in all I really like the hybrid more than expected because it has so much power. Other than that; I can switch it so “save” while going down hill and add 5-10% charge to the main battery. And tax-wise the v8 adds about another 60-70k euro to the already not cheap car , so alas.

You are completely right about the wattages, that makes no sense for the main battery, But if I cover just about the usage of the fridge (50w) and some lighting im all set.

I just don’t know what happens if I continuously charge the 12v battery with the car electronics, since the main battery like you said also charges that one

Enjoy the v8 overlanding Smile
Post #1041167 28th Jul 2024 9:14am
Moo

Ukraine 
I have the solar panel kit from Lensun and hope to fit it today.

The plan is wire it into the main under bonnet terminals. This will initially keep the starter battery topped up when camping, but I will be fitting a second battery either under the bonnet or in the tray under the boot floor, but I think this is where your hybrid battery is.

Saltek do a kit for a compressor bracket for the engine bay, which I bought with the aim of adapting for a battery. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1041170 28th Jul 2024 9:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1