↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Leisure battery woes and choices
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Leisure battery woes and choices
After several years my normal lead acid leisure battery has let me down.

Do I replace it like for like I.e. another lead acid jobbie?

Or

Do I change from a standard split charge to a dc-dc battery charger with solar input (I have a panel already for a solar generator) and a lifepo4?

Are the new type batteries more or less reliable? Of course they are lighter and smaller I believe for a given capacity so could probably increase capacity if I went this route as the space assigned isn't really useful for anything else? 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #1041282 29th Jul 2024 4:47pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
If your existing system does what you need, stick with it. P The only thing I'd look at is using EFB type lead acid battery. Still a wet cell type, but more resilient to being discharged. They will work fine with your existing alternator and split charge. A lot of stop/start car batteries are moving back to wet cell efb from AGM as AGMs haven't proved as durable as expected. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1041287 29th Jul 2024 6:22pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
if your existing system has worked fine and covers your needs then i would replace with the same. not sure how many years its done though?

we run an agm leisure battery and its fine for fridge and lights at night etc for 2-3 days (depending on use it does do more) eve in hot weather trips.
Post #1041306 29th Jul 2024 9:15pm
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
It is currently an agm battery and is at a guess 7 ish years old. I used to get 2-3 days out of the fridge camping but now it is a few hours.

It would be handy if I could get an extra couple of days or charge it without the engine running though. 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #1041312 29th Jul 2024 10:27pm
MarkBrown

Wales 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
I’m thinking about upgrading mine, dc dc charger, inverter, lithium battery, induction hob and perhaps small fridge with water pump, lights inside and out and the night heater. Possibly a small air fryer. Not sure about the solar panel. It’s a one person camper. I’ve currently got a vsr and second lead acid battery which runs lights and the heater, which is fine.
Post #1041313 29th Jul 2024 10:31pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
that's done very well. i would keep the same maybe goto a bigger amp battery if you have the space.

the dc-dc and lithium battery is a great set up a few friends have it and it will run a coffee machine, hot plate etc without issue. unless your staying in one place without running the engine or solar top up it can be a fair chunk of money to spend.

i run mine without solar at the minute as i dont want to spoil the roof tent with panels.

or you could do what a lot of aravan folk do and take a small silent generator to top up when off grid and provide 240v as well
Post #1041327 30th Jul 2024 7:19am
MarkBrown

Wales 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
From my research, you’ll get 50% of the available capacity out of the lead battery, 60% from the agm and 90-95 % out of a li-on one. Also the more expensive li-on’s have a built in heater, so they’ll charge below 5 degrees. Apparently they’ll last 10 years too. But it really depends on what you want from it and then how it’s charged. I found the solar panel on our sprinter van to be more effective at charging than the dc-dc charger and of course it works when stationary.
Post #1041333 30th Jul 2024 8:05am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Bluest wrote:
If your existing system does what you need, stick with it. P The only thing I'd look at is using EFB type lead acid battery. Still a wet cell type, but more resilient to being discharged. They will work fine with your existing alternator and split charge. A lot of stop/start car batteries are moving back to wet cell efb from AGM as AGMs haven't proved as durable as expected.

Re an EFB as opposed to an AGM. I agree with Bluest, with our old school alternators an AGM will not last or perform as it would with an alternator designed for AGM batteries. An EFB is a far better and cheaper choice. The Varta LED range is ideal, being a dual purpose leisure and starter battery with minimal self discharge.
Post #1041338 30th Jul 2024 9:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1