↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My New Defender (L663) > D300 cancelled, D350 incoming
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Moo

Ukraine 
šŸ˜‚šŸ‘šŸ»

As for the middle row seats on a D5, they arenā€™t great. Very low and short squab. Also, the rear space in a XC90 is better. Itā€™s why I didnā€™t go for a D5. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1039955 14th Jul 2024 9:24pm
Eric Caterpillar

Some really interesting insight given, appreciate it.

I had the D5 on my shortlist initially as I really like the way front of the cabin is appointed, driver's seating is great, like the dashboard layout. It's the small issues that discounted the car in the end, like surprisingly small amount of room at the second row, echoed by one of the previous posters, it's only available as a 7 seater, which in my mind eats into the boot space, awkward looking rear quarter and the fact that any higher trim is only available with 22" alloys, unless paid Ā£1500 to downgrade to a 21".

On the XC90, I probably agree it's the best appointed cabin bar the touch control operated central screen, great and supportive seats with lots of space overall, but these cars are only available with a 2 litre petrol hybrid or plug in, artificially limited to 118 mph top speed. That doesn't sit well with me. I get it, the diesel Defender is limited to 119 mph as it's limited by it's barn shaped aerodynamics, interestingly enough, that limitation doesn't apply to a V8 powered one though.

Have had a test drive on a base RR Sport and a Porsche Cayenne over the weekend. Liked both very much, for different reasons. Cayenne is powered by a V6 petrol and I managed to get 25 mpg from a mixed test drive, the Sport did achieve 37 mpg without even trying.

It's just the Defender is such a great looking car, with physical buttons, great utility and even the indicated issues, like smallish boot and the hatch opening are not putting me off it. Maybe it's the rose tinted glasses view, but it's a completely different proposition to anything out there.

I'll need it for long distance driving in Europe, comfortable cabin with lots of space and the ability to negotiate the third world country roads around Glasgow.
Post #1039983 15th Jul 2024 9:05am
Moo

Ukraine 
I think youā€™ve convinced yourself itā€™s the Defender.

I have to agree itā€™s great mile muncher. Iā€™m currently in Bergamo and have had a stress free trip down here that even included going over the Gottard pass.

I made my boot more usable by fitting a parcel rack. Still get annoyed by the door though!

Click image to enlarge
 Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1039986 15th Jul 2024 9:25am
ruben

Spain 
looking for a parcel rack here too, but hard to attract and stupidly expensive too, brexit stuff I imagine!!
Post #1039987 15th Jul 2024 9:32am
Moo

Ukraine 
I can send you the dimensions if you want to make your own. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1039996 15th Jul 2024 10:44am
ruben

Spain 
Thank you very much for the offer Moo, but I imagine that it will not be a simple job, and being a blacksmith, a noble profession, could be my thing!
Post #1040025 15th Jul 2024 6:17pm
Eric Caterpillar

Moo wrote:
I think youā€™ve convinced yourself itā€™s the Defender.

I have to agree itā€™s great mile muncher. Iā€™m currently in Bergamo and have had a stress free trip down here that even included going over the Gottard pass.

I made my boot more usable by fitting a parcel rack. Still get annoyed by the door though!

Click image to enlarge

Appreciate the photograps, think my car will look exactly the same when I finally go driving in Europe. Found a parcel shelf just like this on the 4x4 overlander website. Ā£229 for the pleasure.

Going to have a look at a Defender this weekend to double check the boot and space in the cabin.
Post #1040231 18th Jul 2024 1:46pm
zilch

Australia 
Eric Caterpillar wrote:
Some really interesting insight given, appreciate it.

Have had a test drive on a base RR Sport and a Porsche Cayenne over the weekend. Liked both very much, for different reasons. Cayenne is powered by a V6 petrol and I managed to get 25 mpg from a mixed test drive, the Sport did achieve 37 mpg without even trying.

Average driving returns on our P400 is about 23.93 MPG over the last 5,500 km's, returns about 11.8
litres per 100 km, so not to bad for a 2.5 ton aerodynamic brick.. Whilst i do not drive it like i stole it,
our average speed is around the speed limits Whistle .. so some figures if you consider the petrol Wink yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #1040297 19th Jul 2024 4:04am
Eric Caterpillar

Cheers, I think my driving habits suit diesel in that type of a car. I'm currently averaging 32.8 mpg in the E53 as it's mostly A roads and motorways and I avoid any city driving altogether.

On my test drives in various Defenders I was able to get anything between 27 and 39 mpg, so that's encouraging. With a 89 litre diesel tank and expected 35 mpg I should be able to get 600+ miles range, which is especially useful when covering long distances.
Post #1040319 19th Jul 2024 10:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12