↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > TPMS retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
malibu

Australia 
TPMS retrofit
I would like to retrofit TPMS. From what I can tell I need to install a module LR129770 above the roof console, to the left. I have removed the center console and tried to see if the plug is there. But I can't see it. I don't want to have to remove the headliner. Does anybody know if the wiring plug exists if TPMS is not fitted? I also need wheel sensors and coding, but I can do them.
Post #1042991 17th Aug 2024 3:30am
lightning

United Kingdom 
I have found that if an accessory is not fitted, the wiring harness is not present. Not like the old days when the connections were present and you could just plug it in.

Nowadays everything is computerised so every vehicle has a wiring harness that relates to the specification.

My Defender Commercial does not have the rear speakers fitted, l've had a look and the wiring connections are not present.
Also l don't have the subwoofer and the wiring is not present for that either.

Likewise the front fog lamps, my friend wanted to fit them but the connectors are not there.

So l don't think you'll have the connection for TPMS.
Post #1043127 18th Aug 2024 7:58pm
malibu

Australia 
So if there is no wiring, maybe I can make my own. It seems to only need 4 wires. Which I assume is Power Earth and CAN Bus. Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the TPMS?
Post #1043259 20th Aug 2024 2:00am
Lightwater

Australia 
I have no idea how the Defender system works display wise. But this is my thoughts on external aftermarket TPMS.

I have an ARB TPMS brought 2018. It has a very small display so I can have the pressure displayed continuously which I find really valuable. Alarm is +/- 8psi from the PSI you set. It's surprising how much pressure changes, even simply from the sun.

We carry two spare wheels in the outback. So if we can't plug a tyre it is simple to swap the sensor to either spare.

We can remove sensors, inflate tyres, put sensors back on in 7 minutes 20 > 32psi, & that's with the sensor locking nuts (with hindsight probably leave the nuts off in the outback to speed things up as they take up most of the time). Also 3 ARB compressors (highly modified for cooling) up to 90 amps with engine running, air tank, aftercooler (can be refrigerated) & moisture trap, makes things quick. Especially doing tyres 2 or 4 times a day due the road surfaces.

Having PSI on display continuously is really worth it. Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #1043291 20th Aug 2024 12:53pm
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Lightwater,
How does you ARB TPMS hold up?
Had the same unit on my touring L316 and it drove me nuts. Wouldn't recognize changes in pressure after airing up/down amongst other issues. In the end I removed it, despite being an advocate having TPMS. M
Post #1043374 20th Aug 2024 10:09pm
Lightwater

Australia 
In 2022 started having problems, but put new batteries in the four sensors & no problems any more. The voltage of the batteries was a bit low.

North West Australia we were changing pressure all the time. Usually down to 24psi for the corrugated roads. 20psi for Francois Peron National Park, coming out of there, there are two airing up stations provided. But there was such a long queue of 4WDs, we pulled up in front, while running around airing up another 4WD pulled up behind us thinking we were using a third station. Brilliant having compressors in parallel, we want to get out of the heat & flys ASAP!

My gut feel is probably all these TPMS come out of the same factory. But quite happy to be proven wrong. Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #1043390 20th Aug 2024 11:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1