↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Centre cubby box re-trim and drinks holder upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Blue Blood

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Bonatti Grey
Centre cubby box re-trim and drinks holder upgrade
Hey all,

So over the past couple of days I decided I was fed up with my grey centre console that was tired and had a puncture in the top cushiony lid bit...it came with the car and it really got to me. So I thought I would recover it Cool

So to begin with I took it out (was held in by two bolts tightened within an inch of their lives, making the base practically cave in as there were no spacers). I will actually look to cut the centre out and put in a replacement stainless bottom which I will make removable.

From there I stripped that thing down to as bare as when it first came into this world...i.e I took the old vinyl off the MDF construction. After this I did contemplate pinning down the original fabric onto new fabric and cutting round that however, I stopped myself because the vinyl I took off was stretched and pulled out of shape. So plan B was to measure up and pattern cut all the pieces individually, thankfully my degree in fashion design came in handy (finally all these 14 years later). Anyhow I chose the design I wanted and made these patterns allowing for 1cm seam allowance and extra wrap around for the inside and underneath of the box.

Click image to enlarge

Finally I chose my fabric which were both black vinyl one plain and one perforated. These are specifically for automotive seating and trim (so hardy stuff) and used in Mercedes (very posh). I purchased high strength thread for the stitch you do not see and white contrasting thicker thread for the decorative top stitch. The key thing to note is that no glue is used for these covers at all to attach to the box (although I did use some contact adhesive to glue down the seams on the cushion lid top). Another thing to point out is that everything is pulled tight for attaching and so therefore the fabric has to be cut the correct way/direction depending on material.

I started by slipping over the main piece over the carcass and started attaching from the underside first and cut the insert cup holder area open.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I also got to covering the lid

Click image to enlarge

And finally I pulled the tops in and fixed everything from the top making sure everything was nice and tight. I then reinstalled the hardware; hinges and lid stay making sure to line everything up and I reused the carpet lining on the lid and the inside. The last crowning jewel is the aluminium cup holder with specific cut out for carling switches (which is where I will eventually install my heated seats switches and make use of the removable bottom I will make up).

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I hope y'all like it. I know a lot of people sell cubby boxes but no one offers a retrim kit!

Buying a new cubby box seems a bit wasteful especially if the carcass is in good condition. I was thinking of creating some extra covers based on my patterns if anyone was interested as I bought a bunch of extra material. I know my box was produced by Britpart and am not sure if there is much difference between their box or other but if anyone were interested just let me know Smile

Blue Out
Post #1039066 3rd Jul 2024 7:52pm
gcc130

Some very neat work there, well doneπŸ‘
Post #1039071 3rd Jul 2024 8:20pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Cracking job mate, well done. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #1039072 3rd Jul 2024 8:33pm
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
Nice, I ripped mine out completely and replaced it with a fridge.
Post #1039073 3rd Jul 2024 8:37pm
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
Nice job!..... Well done you πŸ‘πŸ»
Post #1039075 3rd Jul 2024 8:46pm
Blue Blood

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Bonatti Grey
Thanks all I have now got it installed and it really does look the part so very chuffed. I'll try nab a photo of it insitu for you guys viewing pleasure Smile
Post #1039186 5th Jul 2024 9:09am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Great job looking very neat. Having done something similar on a 1984 RRC, I can recommend the including of a simple LED light either lid activated or switched. Really helps finding things
Post #1039187 5th Jul 2024 9:37am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Excellent job, looks really good πŸ‘
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #1039232 5th Jul 2024 6:28pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Looks nice, can really appreciate the work that has gone into that. Not as easy as it looks at first glance. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #1039241 5th Jul 2024 8:48pm
kyvlle

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
That looks real nice! Bravo!
Post #1041591 1st Aug 2024 7:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1