↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Wheel size or tyres to give softer ride?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Morse2012

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Wheel size or tyres to give softer ride?
Hi all. I'm new to this forum and have just bought my first Defender - a 2015 Defender 90XS which was converted by SMC Overland. It has 20inch Maxxtrac wheels with Copper Zeon LTZ 285/50/R20 tyres. The ride is a little hard for my taste. Question...is the hard ride due mainly to the Cooper tyres (ie are they just hard tyres), or to the size of the wheels. I am considering changing (or swapping) the wheels to 18 or 16 inch; or maybe I only need to change the tyres to something softer (if such a thing exists?). I will only drive on-road, and I'd like to keep the fairly 'rugged' look that the larger wheels/tyres give. I've read a lot of the previous posts about wheels and tyres, but I haven't managed to find a thread about the on-road ride characteristics of the various options.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1043311 20th Aug 2024 4:01pm
MarkBrown

Wales 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
Hello and what a beautiful 90! Personally I’d get rid of both the wheels are tyres and replace with the 16” ones which should be fitted, along with a good quality all terrain tyre if it’s for general random use. 235 85 16 or 265 75 16 are both standard sizes. Have a search through here, wolf steels are popular along with boost and later the sawtooth in black ( would be my choice for yours.) I’ve never been in a 90, but the 110’s I’ve had I wouldn’t describe the ride as bumpy nor even firm. They’re different to a modern car but not in the way people would have you believe. It’s my favourite vehicle, always satisfying somehow. Perfectly imperfect!
Post #1043315 20th Aug 2024 4:24pm
Gravygraham

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Yup, definitely fit her with 16'' wheels, you'll have much more sidewall bounce making for a softer ride. Swot up on your tyres though, some AT tyre manufacturers tell you about their tougher sidewalls, which of course will remove some of the suppleness of ride. Welcome to the forum.
Post #1043324 20th Aug 2024 5:21pm
Notyalc

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
What tyre pressures are you running?
Post #1043339 20th Aug 2024 6:45pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: Wheel size or tyres to give softer ride?
Morse2012 wrote:
Hi all. I'm new to this forum and have just bought my first Defender - a 2015 Defender 90XS which was converted by SMC Overland. It has 20inch Maxxtrac wheels with Copper Zeon LTZ 285/50/R20 tyres. The ride is a little hard for my taste. Question...is the hard ride due mainly to the Cooper tyres (ie are they just hard tyres), or to the size of the wheels. I am considering changing (or swapping) the wheels to 18 or 16 inch; or maybe I only need to change the tyres to something softer (if such a thing exists?). I will only drive on-road, and I'd like to keep the fairly 'rugged' look that the larger wheels/tyres give. I've read a lot of the previous posts about wheels and tyres, but I haven't managed to find a thread about the on-road ride characteristics of the various options.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Click image to enlarge

Personally not keen on those 20” rims at all. So out of place on this kind of vehicle. And most certainly not rugged looking IMO.

There is a reason Land Rover never offered anything bigger than a 16” rim on a Defender. Even p38 Range Rover and Discovery 2 owners will opt for the 16” rims instead of the optional 18” ones if you want the best ride quality.

It’s a live axle utility ladder chassis 4x4 after all.

That said. The ride, while it should be very acceptable. Will never be silky smooth. Partly because of having live axles. But also that your head and shoulders are much higher from the road, so lateral motion will be amplified vs a car and a 90 also has a very short wheel base. Only mildly longer than a Fiat Panda! So pitching back and forth can also be noticeable more so than longer wheel base vehicles.
Post #1043348 20th Aug 2024 7:46pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Do you know what shocks and springs are fitted? Looking at the rest of the vehicle I’d assume they aren’t standard. Over firm damping or stiff springs will also give a terrible ride.
Post #1043349 20th Aug 2024 7:49pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Castellated spring isolators are useful, and I’d avoid HD springs unless HD are actually needed.
Same with HD Dampers, best avoided unless actually needed. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1043351 20th Aug 2024 8:02pm
MarkBrown

Gravygraham wrote:
Yup, definitely fit her with 16'' wheels, you'll have much more sidewall bounce making for a softer ride. Swot up on your tyres though, some AT tyre manufacturers tell you about their tougher sidewalls, which of course will remove some of the suppleness of ride. Welcome to the forum.

I met a guy with a sprinter van who had maxxis worm drive tyres and said they were noticeably more comfortable than his previous set of bfg all terrains, might be worth looking into.
Post #1043363 20th Aug 2024 9:07pm
Morse2012

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Thanks to everyone who has given their views. I really appreciate all comments. Plenty for me to research further.
Post #1043381 20th Aug 2024 10:32pm
revd

United Kingdom 
I would look for a set of genuine Boost alloys - they are considered a bit old hat with newer designs available and so are good value - I paid £100 for the set (five) - they will take 235/85 -16 or 265/75 -16 tyres

Click image to enlarge
Post #1043399 21st Aug 2024 7:22am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That Defender needs Blindos!
Post #1043411 21st Aug 2024 8:39am
Gravygraham

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Quote:
I met a guy with a sprinter van who had maxxis worm drive tyres and said they were noticeably more comfortable than his previous set of bfg all terrains, might be worth looking into.

Ah, now that’s interesting Mark. I’m about to swap out a set of part-worn BFG’s and the Wormdrive Maxxis were looking to be my preferred option.
Post #1043443 21st Aug 2024 11:17am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
285/50/R20 Is smaller over all diameter than a 235/85 R16 tyre. Looking at how the rear tyre fills the wheel arch, it looks like it does not have standard suspension. So worth looking there too, especially the rear, as the seating is closer to the rear axle.

You may also find that a loaded 90 is as comfortable as a classic Range Rover, or so I think. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1043448 21st Aug 2024 12:06pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Gravygraham wrote:
Quote:

Ah, now that’s interesting Mark. I’m about to swap out a set of part-worn BFG’s and the Wormdrive Maxxis were looking to be my preferred option.

I really like the Wormdrives. I have them on 2 vehicles currently. My brother has the BFG’s on his 90. The BFG’s do look like they might last a little longer. But they are no better otherwise.

The BFG is offered in different load ratings. The stronger side wall is good for heavy off roading. But will ride harder for the same pressures.
Post #1043451 21st Aug 2024 12:44pm
MarkBrown

The worm drives did look good on his van too. I’d thought about a set for my sprinter ( for sale ) but they didn’t seem to have the tpms symbol, so I chose another make which did. Perhaps you could confirm if this is correct?
Post #1043469 21st Aug 2024 4:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1