Home > General & Technical (L663) > Online pack with data plan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
Online pack with data plan
Worth renewing? lt expires in July.

£190 for two years. What will l be missing if l let it lapse. Happy to pay the £190 if it's worth it.

I know there's another thread about this below, but it's only concerned with the tracker and not the "data pack"
Post #1036693 6th Jun 2024 3:55pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I didn’t bother, I couldn’t see how it did anything that I couldn’t already get through CarPlay.

It was useful having the traffic info on the built-in satnav but if I need that now I just use Google maps for free.
Post #1036705 6th Jun 2024 6:07pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
So the traffic stuff only works with the online pack? Mine has run out as well, but I can’t seem to find what you actually get for your money with it.
Post #1036708 6th Jun 2024 6:34pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l assume it's basically the built-in SIM card so the vehicle can get online without using your phone?
Post #1036711 6th Jun 2024 6:43pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
It’s effectively the data plan for the built in SIM, so for things like live traffic routing, the weather app etc.

There is a second built in SIM for telematics and over-the-air updates and that is not affected, I presume that’s just live forever.
Post #1036720 6th Jun 2024 7:59pm
WizzardPrang

England 
The Online Pack with Data Plan - covers online music streaming, weather, calendar etc.

Connected Navigation Pro - covers real-time traffic updates, safety cameras, rerouting, POI etc. However, map updates appear to be free without that subscription. Current vehicle: 2020 Defender 110S
Gone: Defender 90 HT 200Tdi, Discovery Sport, Freelander 2

Insta: wizzardprang
Post #1036733 6th Jun 2024 10:13pm
Moo

Ukraine 
So basically Apple Carplay does the same thing? Confused Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1036737 6th Jun 2024 11:22pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Retroanaconda wrote:
It was useful having the traffic info on the built-in satnav but if I need that now I just use Google maps for free.

If you use Tom Tom Go subscription paid, you can get it all for £12 a year. That’s what I do, best Navi system I’ve every used via car play.
I think there is a free temporary trial on it if anyone wants to try it out, or used to be.
It has speed camera warnings and locations and things like that as well.
Basically I think a few more features than Google’s service.

Depends what each individual is used to though.
You won’t need to worry about sims etc on the vehicle then at least, maps update in App like google.
To be honest I’ve not used the google one but it does work well I believe, only just a few less features possibly some different ones as well.
I guess google might be a bit better if you’re looking for a restaurant specifically perhaps or things like that, but driving wise I like the Tom Tom Go system.
Only thing I’d like that they add would be an estimated MPG use, and cost like Garmin did or does. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1036738 6th Jun 2024 11:24pm
WizzardPrang

England 
Moo wrote:
So basically Apple Carplay does the same thing? Confused

Yes! Although Apple Maps doesn't have the "safety" Camera database. AFAIK Waze does. Current vehicle: 2020 Defender 110S
Gone: Defender 90 HT 200Tdi, Discovery Sport, Freelander 2

Insta: wizzardprang
Post #1036809 7th Jun 2024 9:33pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 
All the people who I’ve heard from say the online ability continues to work beyond the date it’s meant to finish. They had received communication from LR to say it would carry on until further notice. 🤷‍♂️ 24MY D300 130 X-Dynamic HSE Santorini Black
Post #1036827 8th Jun 2024 9:28am
whiterdesign

United Kingdom 
This has now changed.i have been in touch with In Control services yesterday asking why people including myself were getting emails for the first time to renew. There are people on other forums getting these emails when the vehicle is 1 year old. 2 years old, which is my case , and even 3 years old.
The lady I spoke to said she had had a lot of calls related to this and had gone to her manager to sort it out. It seems that the initial length of subscription on a new vehicle is 12 months, but they had problems setting up the renewal service, don’t know why. Because of this customers had been given free renewal, in some cases up to 3 years. This has now been sorted so if you receive the email with a date of renewal, and don’t renew the subscription will cease and you will lose the service .
Hope this helps 110 XS 250 MY 23 Gondwana Stone, Cold climate pack and towbar
Post #1036864 8th Jun 2024 7:47pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 
This looks like an opportunity for someone to do a possible sim upgrade option. I had connectivity on my L405 from a 3 sim for 2 years for less than £40! It’s only used to remotely start the car, flash and beep and lock or unlock if it ever works again. Can this not be done with a Mifi unit or old phone in the car? 24MY D300 130 X-Dynamic HSE Santorini Black
Post #1036865 8th Jun 2024 7:59pm
whiterdesign

United Kingdom 
there were some markets which included a sim slot where the USB C and USB A slot is in the lower dash. i remember that LR retrofits did fit some of these. i wonder if this is still possible and with say a Gap tool to change to this slot instead of the electronic built in Sim.
https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...nload.jpeg 110 XS 250 MY 23 Gondwana Stone, Cold climate pack and towbar
Post #1036866 8th Jun 2024 8:10pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 
That’s what I was thinking. It’s been done so surely it’s possible to take back control. £190 for 2 years is really taking the mick. 24MY D300 130 X-Dynamic HSE Santorini Black
Post #1036867 8th Jun 2024 8:13pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Co1 wrote:
So the traffic stuff only works with the online pack? Mine has run out as well, but I can’t seem to find what you actually get for your money with it.

Traffic works through a different subscription Mike
Post #1037005 10th Jun 2024 10:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>