↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Kill Switch / Sequence Immobiliser for 2007-2011 Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tea_and_Biology

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
Kill Switch / Sequence Immobiliser for 2007-2011 Defender
Hey folks!

Just bought my first landy (hurrah!) and I'm in the process of, amongst other things, sorting out assorted security systems - and hoping for a little help!

Essentially looking for a simple system - a hidden kill switch or similar - that would kill the engine after a short while if not flipped correctly. Be it just after starting the ignition or, say if already running, one could flip the switch (to 'off') and after a short period of time the engine will conk out. It has to be fully manual - no cards/fobs/apps etc. - and be accessible from the driver's seat. Long story short, I'll be overlanding across Africa and want it as an anti-theft / anti-hijack system; in the worst case scenario, should someone grab my keys, they should be able to drive off a short distance before being completely immobilised.

In terms of what's on the market, was looking at the Autowatch Ghost immobiliser (where you have to hit a certain secret sequence of buttons on the centre console / dashboard before setting off) - though, alas, despite some mixed messages it appears said CAN-bus system is incompatible with my model (though some others say it is possible to do, albeit outside recommended set-up; has anyone done this?). Would be good for the insurance though.

Otherwise is it just DIY? Any advice, suggestions, or successful modifications? Any insight would be appreciated!; thanks!

P.S. It's a Defender 110 2.4 Puma - 2007-2011 if that helps?
Post #1036377 3rd Jun 2024 2:26pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
I dont know about a timed kill switch, but you could look at something like this https://lrd-track.co.uk/products/starter-inhibit-loom

Hidden rocker switch prevents cranking when activated. Or swop the switch to a non-locking rocker so has to be held to enable cranking. 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #1036379 3rd Jun 2024 2:42pm
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
I don't know of anything like that on the market. It's certainly easy enough to fit an extra switch to prevent engine start.

It would be easy enough to make one with a delay with a little wiring, switch and a delay relay.
Post #1036384 3rd Jun 2024 3:17pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Like this? Cool
?si=y_F69Zc2IkKzTkaB
(can't find the scene where she actually uses it)

If it's not a sequence but just a hidden switch with a timer that kills the fuel pump, it should be easy to build (google NE555 for example).

Problem IMHO opinion is safety. You don't want it to activate in a critical situation.
That's why remote or conditional kill switches usually (should) only activate when the car is stationary, i.e. they use speed as additional condition. In remote areas, however, it could take a while until the next stop...

Even then a DIY solution should be of high quality to avoid accidental (literally) activation.
When you designed this as a product you'd do a failure analysis and design the system accordingly (probably involving indepent redundancy).

That's also why I have refrained from installing this in the cabin https://www.security-discount.com/en/home-...atterypack
Twisted Evil

Disabling the starter relay doesn't have that safety issue but in case of hijacking will only work after they have stopped the engine, which is likely when they are in their den where they have enough time to find the switch :/
Post #1036400 3rd Jun 2024 6:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1