↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Cylinder head swimming in coolant
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
Cylinder head swimming in coolant
Been trying to track down a coolant loss for ages. Initially took it to a garage and they tested for exhaust gasses in coolant ... yup .. so i replaced the head gasket. Of course didn't check for cracks or warping just changed the gasket. Things were fine for a while ... then started losing coolant again. Bought a test kit and did it myself and after 30 mins yup it said that there were exhaust gasses in coolant.

This time took a spare head ( long story), took it to machine shop , pressure tested, skimmed, new stem seals valve seats reground, sheared rocker bolts removed so I'm in process of removing installed head even as I type (tea break).

Now, the beast has been sitting for weeks without running so before i started it i checked the oil level and it was considerably higher than the last time i checke it... and the coolant header. tank is empty.
Undid sump plug and. loads of coolant came out b4 we got. to some oil. Went from 1" above max to half wayh between max and min b4 i felt we had enough oil to start ( had to move 6 feet so nose was inside garage )

Just at rotating engine to put timing lock pins in and under the rocker cover, to say its swimming in water would be an understatment. ( one question, if youve got the battery out and have rotated engine. so that timing pin is in the head and youre not moving the bottom end, why do you need to lock the flywheel? nothing is moving is it ?)

Certainly when i did the gasket before, for a short period of time didnt lose any coolant and the hoses weren't pressurised ( they are now)

So what else. could. cause this amount of coolant to be where it shouldnt. Did replace the (td5) oil cooler (see another post about why are ther 4 o-rings when coolant only seems to use 2)

Any thoughts appreciated
Rgds
A Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Gertie - 1999 110 TD5 - like a Phoenix from the ashes back on road... almost
Effie - 2004 110 TD5 County
Post #1036300 2nd Jun 2024 12:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1