Home > Puma (Tdci) > Couple of Puma questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Couple of Puma questions
Hi All,

I have a couple of small queries so thought I would amalgamate them in here.

1) I am currently replacing my dash in my 110 Hardtop and have done the double din conversion (in my old one) - it isn't particularly easy to get the handbrake cable from my double din to the switch on the handbrake tidily due to the minimalism of the defender. How have others routed this, or is not really worth wiring that in? I was considering the parking brake light on the instrument cluster but a) I cant work out what colour (as there is no white with yellow trace) and b) that light seems to also be used for other braking issues.

2) Second question relates to the brackets which screw onto the bulkhead and hold the bulkhead matting in place. Its common as muck to see these rusted but I figure that whilst the dash is out I may as well replace them. Does anyone happen to know the part number for these? I tried locating on LR Workshops diagrams but to no avail.

For clarity: it is the pair of these, not the ones that sit vertical and run along the door shut:

3) Final Q (for now) - is there a trim piece to go over the passenger side foot blower to help hold the bulkhead matting up? At the moment it is wide open...

Thanks
Kieren

Last edited by the_lincs_landies on 21st Aug 2023 2:15pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1004570 18th Aug 2023 8:41am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello the_lincs_landies

Q1. Can't help with this.

Q2. I painted mine whilst the Dash was out in order to replace the Wiper Boxes... Sourcing new from Land Rover (if possible) would probably only bring you back to as new, which if unchanged, LR thought that bare metal parts would be 'good enough'... they are not! (IMO).

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Q3. I'm not sure exactly what you mean here... The Carpet (Matting) is 'held' by tucking under the above metal brackets, this is the best photo I have of mine (2010 Puma) there is a ducting from the bulkhead opening into the central heater control section of the Dash so it isn't 'open' like yours.

Click image to enlarge

Good luck... Thumbs Up SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #1004579 18th Aug 2023 10:13am
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Thanks mate, that's a good shout. Maybe I will just Kurust them, let that dry, then paint them black with hummerite or similar.

with regards to question 3 - there is a hole for the foot blowers on the passenger side (circled), has a recessed edge which made me wonder if that was so a plastic piece of trim could countersink into it, rather than just having hole from the blower there.

Post #1004585 18th Aug 2023 10:35am
X4SKP

Hello t_l_l

OK got it... just looked at mine, and I'm the same as you.

It looks like as you say that, that the Matting is profiled to accept a 'nice' piece of trim to hold it in place
but no... 'that'll do' in the words of Jeremy Clarkson... Shocked

Click image to enlarge
 SKIP
Post #1004588 18th Aug 2023 10:52am
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
I need to double check mine, as I am not sure it even has a grate on the front... I wonder if where you have the grate behind the mat, if that should push on from in front of it?
Post #1004589 18th Aug 2023 11:00am
X4SKP

Hello t_l_l

I thought the same but no... it's securely in place behind the Bulkhead, (on mine)
there doesn't appear to be any 'peripheral slots' either to accept a 'plug-in' piece of
missing plastic trim we have speculated over...

It's a LR 'minor mystery'... maybe someone else knows more... Question SKIP
Post #1004594 18th Aug 2023 11:22am
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
I have a few more questions to add, figure I may as well utilise this thread (and its generic title) and just post my questions in here.

So, todays questions:

4) Is this matting on the front and sides of the seat box factory fitted? My defender was carpet converted, but as we are going to use it off-road we want to go back to rubber. At some point we will be getting a full respray (colour change inside and out) so wanted to check if I'd need to reinstate it afterwards for a good fit of the rubber mat, or if i could use Dynamat/Dodomat.

5) Is this gap between the seat box and the gear/transfer stick surround normal, or has the location been skewed by all of the Dynamat? Whilst the dash is out I want to sort as much of that area out as possible. If its normal then happy days Smile

6) As I haven't actually been in a defender with the original interior, when I get my rubber matting does the gear/transfer gaitor go on before or after the rubber floor matting (the matting that runs footwells and transmission tunnel)

Thanks

P.S. The bolts/screws in the floor panels have seen better days but one problem at a time Confused

EDIT:- Changed questions to sequential numbering to help prevent confusion.

Last edited by the_lincs_landies on 21st Aug 2023 2:15pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #1004942 21st Aug 2023 9:23am
shanecl

Ireland 1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Auto Firenze Red
To answer your second question, those brackets are no longer available I'm told. I had to get mine from a breaker
Post #1004950 21st Aug 2023 10:45am
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Thanks Shane. Is that the plastic surround for the gearbox you mean? There isnt an issue with the one I have, just curious if its sitting in the right place Smile
Post #1004952 21st Aug 2023 10:53am
shanecl

Ireland 1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Auto Firenze Red
No sorry the 2 brackets that attach to the bulkhead holding the footwell rubber in place and also the dash bottom
Post #1004964 21st Aug 2023 12:08pm
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Ah ok, I think I am going to confuse things as you are referring to Q2 in the original post, not Q2 in the post I did today. I am going to have to have sequential numbering to save confusion I think Very Happy

I've left those brackets in place for now. When I get a chance to, I will strip them out and get them shotblated and powder coated. I am hoping to get a Galv bulkhead in the next 12-24 months so that would be the perfect time.

I also never realised, until I changed my bulkhead mat... they changed the layout on the later 2.2 puma drivers footwell. The bonnet release is moved from above clutch pedal to above accelerator... so now I need to either cut my new mat, or source another one thats actually from a 2.4 puma Rolling Eyes
Post #1004982 21st Aug 2023 2:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1