↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Central locking - Genuine vs RDX/Hella actuators?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

Central locking - Genuine vs RDX/Hella actuators?
Hi everyone.

My 2010 90 SW is base spec, with no bells and whistles. Unfortunately it did not come with the wiring in the door pillars for entral locking, as other owners have reported.

No worries.

I'm sending the ECU off to Technozen to have the CL capability added.
I've already bought all of the door parts/actuators/linkages/rear lock etc - these are all Genuine Parts, some used, some new.
A chance encounter with Pace Automotive saw them supply an overlay loom that connects to the ECU and has the wires and connectors for the door pillars.
Rather than buy a set of Genuine door looms, which aside from the cost, also include EW wiring, which I did not need, Pace also made me a set of simple CL-only door looms.

So I'm good to go and to get it all fitted - near enough Factory central locking that will work off the factory fobs.

However, while CL it turns out is about the only mod-con that I really miss I bought a base SW for a good reason - less to go wrong. I'm concerned over the number of reports of factory CL failures and am having a wobble on my plans.

Boltonbits sell a number of aftermarket CL kits and, while I'd stick with my factory/PACE looms and linkages I am seriously wondering whether I would be better to use their Hella actuators in place of the factory items.

Its a no-cost switch as the resale value of the genuine actuators I have is the same as it would cost for the Boltonbits/RDX actuators. I'm assuming I could do a like for like swap though I might need to change the connector on the PACE door loom.

The link to the RDX kit is here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392786327006?ha...Sw~z5h2aNf

The comment I'm reflecting on from their description is this: "RDX have created adapters to accept proper GERMAN made central locking motors as supplied to leading car manufacturers like Volkswagen, Mercedes Benz and Audi. These motors are not Chinese inferior products. Motors have Super seal connections, twin core wiring is provided, this will require routing and alteration to suit your chosen application. This kit is designed simply to be used with an alarm (factory or aftermarket). Motors require a short pulse of 12 volt Positive and negative to unlock and the same to lock but the polarity swapped. Factory door wiring colours are Orange and Pink (If lock operates wrong way round swap wires!). Older 2002 to 2011 Factory Alarm green boxes can be converted to central locking without needing replacement, if the immobilizer is still operational with the key fob then no coding will be required. The kit does allow keys to use the door locks but they do not activate locks or any alarm feature

Am I right in assuming that using their actuators and brackets in conjunction with my otherwise factory install would not impact functionality in any way and that it may be a way to fit CL as per my plan but without the reliability concerns of the factory system.... or is that just BoB marketing?

Thank you.
Post #958296 14th Jul 2022 1:37pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
I don't think there's an inherent problem with the factory actuators. The odd failure reported on here seem to be down to age and/or gummed up mechanisms that unduly load them.

The far more common problem is failure of the wiring as it passes into the doors but a. it's more typical on second row doors that you don't have and b. you're using different looms anyway.

I wouldn't worry about it. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #958298 14th Jul 2022 1:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1