↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Cruise control buttons and stalks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blackrock

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Firenze Red
Cruise control buttons and stalks
I'm about to fit a cruise control kit to my Puma and was a bit averse to drilling into it as its all original and nice. Anyway, I spotted a 10mm hole on the right of the steering column, bunged up with a rubber thingy. Anyone have any idea what it is for? Could I mount the stalk there?
If I do mount it there it turns out that all the writing on the stalk is upside down. Although it doesn't bother me too much as I'd use the stalk by feel not sight, it got me to wondering it anyone has built their own button PCB and mounted the buttons somewhere else?

I have removed the PCB in the stalk and it is just a few resistors and switches so looks to be do-able. i could then fit a flat rectangular panel somewhere and not use a stalk at all. Anyone reverse engineered the PCB?

Having typed all that out I'm not sure it's worth it, although i could eventually control the cruise from the in-dash computer/satnav/reversing camera thingy I'm planning to build. Maybe it's just silly not wanting to drill a hole in the steering column?

Andrew
Post #957627 7th Jul 2022 6:45pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
The cowling is cheap enough just buy a spare whilst they are still available make sure to get a late type as they are different on late cars
Post #957632 7th Jul 2022 7:08pm
blackrock

Yes, i wondered about that, good idea.

Andrew
Post #957633 7th Jul 2022 7:08pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I believe that the hole you describe is a left-over from the days of petrol engines and was for the choke control.
Post #957640 7th Jul 2022 7:48pm
blackrock

That makes a lot of sense.

Andrew
Post #957643 7th Jul 2022 7:52pm
blackwolf

It makes sense on planet Landrover, where evolution used to be measured in geological terms, but it is amusing to reflect that the last new Landrover design to have a choke control (as far as I am aware) the Stage One V8 manufacture of which stopped in 1985. So that hole is to accommodate a feature which hasn't existed for 37 years.
Post #957659 7th Jul 2022 10:48pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
More likely the early petrol 110's as the column shroud is different from the Series III vehicles. Still a looong time though Laughing Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #957670 8th Jul 2022 7:25am
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
But oddly after 30+ years of fitting a bung to fill a reduntant hole they changed the moulding to remove it close to the end of production.

Its missing from my 2014 model 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #957686 8th Jul 2022 9:55am
blackwolf

It changed when DSC had to be fitted because the steering angle transducer couldn't fit in the old shroud.

I'd actually forgotten that there was a carburetted petrol engine available in a coiler, so thanks for the memory jog. As you say, the shroud will date from that, not the leaf-spring era.

I wonder which would have been the greater cost, modifying the injection-moulding tooling to delete the hole, or thirty years of buying and assembling rubber grommets. I have my suspicions! At least Bob-the-grommet-fitter kept his job for thirty years, as well as Steve-the-grommet-checker.
Post #957695 8th Jul 2022 11:50am
Gasket

I have a similar approach with my 90 - I don't like to drill holes.

In this case, as mentioned above - just buy a take-off upper and lower cowl off ebay for a few quid and put either your original or the new one in the loft.

Using the bung would leave the stalk at a weird angle.
Post #957700 8th Jul 2022 12:35pm
blackrock

Yes, the hole on the right hand side didn't really work out and I ended up drilling a hole on the left hand side.
After a few hours of mainly trying to route cables I have finally managed to fit the kit and it all works. It seems like a nice kit, the cruise works well and all the cutouts on brake and clutch work. I haven't managed to get the two preset speeds to work yet, but that's probably operator error.

One nice thing this kit has (CANM8 kit) is a diagnostic mode that lets you check your wiring without having to drive around checking the cruise function. All done using a multi colour LED.

The left hand stalk is usable, it looks OK, but it is a bit crowded now on that side. I tried indicating with the cruise stalk a couple of times, but I'll get used to it. I may have a look at building a small panel with the switches on it instead sometime as I think that might be a better way to control the unit.

the wire on the kit was a bit short for the clutch switch signal, but just about reached.

Andrew
Post #957735 8th Jul 2022 8:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1