↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Laptop
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Laptop
I'm looking to replace my desktop PC with a suitable Laptop.

Graphically, I would like to be able to play games from my Steam account ( RTCW, Hunt, Dishonoured ) as well as NFS games etc, not really interested in mega FPS, but a steady 60 would be good Very Happy

Musically, i would like it to run Ableton 10 comfortably. I mainly use upto 8 MIDI tracks and have a APC controller and Synth to plug in, so it needs to be able to handle that lot Thumbs Up

Video editing is done on the Ipad Pro, that side isn't needed but i would like it run GIMP.

My current (important bits) spec on the desktop is as follows;

AMD FX 8350 4Ghz
24Gb RAM
GT1070

Something of similar power would be great and i really don't want an Apple product, the Ipad is enough for working with video.

I reckon I7 or above at least with a similar GT1070 mobile chip and plenty plenty of RAM Razz

HDMI would be a bonus as well as an SD card reader, WIn 10 and large screen

Any thoughts or recommendations based on your own experience greatly welcome Very Happy

Tia Thumbs Up
Post #869268 23rd Nov 2020 11:28pm
Smyles_

Denmark 
I've built several workstation/gaming rigs for myself and friends over the past few years so should definitely be able to help. I'd recommend you go for an AMD Ryzen system over intel as intel are being made a laughing stock currently. Also, why 24GB of RAM, the most I could see you needing is 16 going off system requirements for Ableton 10 (plus, 24GB is rather inefficient if it's not 2 or 4 sticks of ram total, the logical upgrade to this would be 32GB ie dual 16 gig sticks).

My initial recommendation without knowing your budget and I/O requirements for your music kit etc would be a ROG Zephyrus G14 (can't remember if that's their latest or not, will check tomorrow cause it's 3 am as I write Thud). Very safe bet that's an epic little machine that can run games well and has 120Hz display that will make the entire system feel faster. 60Hz in this day and age is really not a thing anymore on mid to high-tier systems unless it's a 4k touch display.

Most of your display connections and other I/O can be supplied via a USB type C dongle as their incredibly versatile.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk budget etc, but the bottom line is that Ryzen is what you want and need! Thumbs Up Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
07 Audi RS4 Avant - Silver
Post #869283 24th Nov 2020 4:01am
stew 46

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
I have bought mine for work and personal from tier1 on line .co.uk over the last 25 years Thumbs Up all refurb and been amazing Thumbs Up
Post #869288 24th Nov 2020 7:21am
Badger110

Smyles_ wrote:
I've built several workstation/gaming rigs for myself and friends over the past few years so should definitely be able to help. I'd recommend you go for an AMD Ryzen system over intel as intel are being made a laughing stock currently. Also, why 24GB of RAM, the most I could see you needing is 16 going off system requirements for Ableton 10 (plus, 24GB is rather inefficient if it's not 2 or 4 sticks of ram total, the logical upgrade to this would be 32GB ie dual 16 gig sticks).

My initial recommendation without knowing your budget and I/O requirements for your music kit etc would be a ROG Zephyrus G14 (can't remember if that's their latest or not, will check tomorrow cause it's 3 am as I write Thud). Very safe bet that's an epic little machine that can run games well and has 120Hz display that will make the entire system feel faster. 60Hz in this day and age is really not a thing anymore on mid to high-tier systems unless it's a 4k touch display.

Most of your display connections and other I/O can be supplied via a USB type C dongle as their incredibly versatile.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk budget etc, but the bottom line is that Ryzen is what you want and need! Thumbs Up

The 14 screen is tad small, but the specs look good Thumbs Up I've got a Sony 14" laptop which is touchscreen and weighs the same as a damp teabag and runs games but fails on the Ableton front ( 8gb of RAM )

I purchased 32GB of Ram for the desktop, 1 module was RMA'd as it was defunct. I sent it back and they refunded me for the lot! ( purchased as a kit ) being stuck with 24Gb instead of 32gb hasn't been a problem at all and i never bought another module to make it 32gb Wink

I'll look into the Ryzen laptops and see what's available in the new and in the 2nd hand market.
Post #869417 24th Nov 2020 9:09pm
Badger110

Post #869420 24th Nov 2020 9:14pm
Badger110

stew 46 wrote:
I have bought mine for work and personal from tier1 on line .co.uk over the last 25 years Thumbs Up all refurb and been amazing Thumbs Up

I'll take a look, cheers for the heads up Very Happy
Post #869421 24th Nov 2020 9:14pm
stew 46

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
Post #869434 24th Nov 2020 9:55pm
Pat

Wales 
I've used Dell Outlet several times - good savings.

Scratch and dent items have always arrived without any sign of a blemish. It started with a kiss, never thought it would come to this.
SIII CSW Safari, limestone, (JAC 914N). Where is she now?

It's not a car, it's a way of life!
Post #869497 25th Nov 2020 9:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1