↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Anything on the 130 ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
landiepete

Belgium 
Anything on the 130 ?
Hey everyone,

I'll be 'needing' a new vehicle next year, and the only remaining choices for me seem to be either a van like a Benz V 4x4 or VW, and a 130 Defender.
However, bar 'somewhere in 2021' no one here seems to have any information on a possible release date, and I can't keep deferring indefinitely.

There's a lot of static about the disappearance of the 200d and 240d engines, but it'll be the loading space size that makes or breaks it for me.

Does anyone have anything more concrete ? I seem to rememeber the 130 was already 'spotted' in September 2019.
Post #853288 31st Aug 2020 8:56am
J77

Scotland 
Welcome

There’s nothing about it at the moment and I very much doubt we’ll hear anything this year. The 90 is just about to go into production so I think it will be well into next year, possibly 22MY before the 130 arrives, if it ever does.
Post #853298 31st Aug 2020 9:47am
Tim in Scotland

And if you are hoping to get a pallet into the load space through the rear door then forget it as it is only A couple of cms more than 1m wide across the tailgate opening then it opens up wider. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #853304 31st Aug 2020 10:07am
landiepete

Belgium 
I'm going to end up with a bl**d* van again, aren't I ?
Post #853309 31st Aug 2020 10:33am
Tim in Scotland

It’s worse, I’ve just been out and measured the width from the latch to the hinge side of the door frame and it’s only 95cm

Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #853318 31st Aug 2020 10:59am
landiepete

Belgium 
J77 wrote:
Welcome

There’s nothing about it at the moment and I very much doubt we’ll hear anything this year. The 90 is just about to go into production so I think it will be well into next year, possibly 22MY before the 130 arrives, if it ever does.

Thank you. Are they suggesting the 130 will be pulled now ? I thought the commercials were supposed to be released to the press by now ? I'd think the 130 would be an integral part of any commercial effort ?
Post #853338 31st Aug 2020 1:11pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Say it quietly, JLR are only paying lip service to the commercial game.

Anyone who really needs a commercial will buy a van.

Anyone else noticed how far out the second row seat back support sticks out from the side when this seats are laid down?
Post #853339 31st Aug 2020 1:19pm
Tim in Scotland

Let’s say it’s “on the shelf” for the time being, they seem to be having enough difficulty trying to get 90 production started and TBH 110 production needs a huge hike in QC before anything else gets produced. I’ve now been waiting 6 weeks for 2 Pcs of body coloured plastic A pillar trim to arrive at my dealer so I can book it in for that and to find out why there is a water leak into the rear passenger door and out onto the door pull and footwell even in gentle rain. That door had the rubber scraper seal misformed when fitted which was thought to be the cause but the leak is still there After the seal was replaced.....

C Pillar
Yes and worse they/be done a Tesla and put massive sticking out steel loops on the C pillar that the seatbacks latch onto when up. From hook to hook It’s 1170mm/1.17m so wider than the tailgate opening

These are the seatback securings, I’m sure on the RRS2 they were much shorter stainless steel pins not huge loops

Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 31st Aug 2020 6:50pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #853340 31st Aug 2020 1:24pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Thanks Tim

When I first saw them on the pre pro version to me they look like they would get bent if someone lent on them whilst loading or unloading

I forgot to test that theory when I did the three hour drive.
Post #853345 31st Aug 2020 1:57pm
J77

Scotland 
landiepete wrote:
J77 wrote:
Welcome

Thank you. Are they suggesting the 130 will be pulled now ? I thought the commercials were supposed to be released to the press by now ? I'd think the 130 would be an integral part of any commercial effort ?

Not necessarily pulled but I think 90 is the priority at the moment. So far the only commercial versions are 90/110.
Post #853347 31st Aug 2020 2:02pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
C Pillar
Yes and worse they/be done a Tesla and put massive sticking out steel loops on the C pillar that the seatbacks latch onto when up. From hook to hook It’s 1170mm/1.17m so eider than the taiLegate opening

These are the seatback securing, I’m sure on the RRS2 they were much shorter stainless steel pins not huge loops

When I see this sort of detail, I wonder if they've forgotten everything that they learned from designing the Discovery 3 Rolling Eyes Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #853359 31st Aug 2020 4:06pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
I'm in the position now where we need the 130 or its another brand. My dealer told me he has seen nothing internally yet suggesting they have gone cool on the 130 plan for next year. I hope it does arrive and I hope it does arrive in the UK !

side note from the leaked silhouettes last year it didn't have a rear spare on the back so I guess with the extended overhang it could be slung underneath. Wouldn't it be great if Land Rover gave it a split tailgate. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #853393 31st Aug 2020 6:09pm
J77

Scotland 
Leaked documents also said 22MY so it’s at least another year away.

Click image to enlarge

I’m going for a 90 so I must be young, affluent and fun seeking Laughing
Post #853404 31st Aug 2020 7:02pm
landiepete

Belgium 
MY 2022, so probably dealer orders from September 2021. I need only 2 seats, but I need the cargo space.

The Defender has truly become a 'lifestyle' product. This means consumer market. And observing the evolution of that market I think LR is going to be in for a nasty surprise. And if they're betting on the US market embracing 4 pot engines I suspect the shock is going to be worse.
Post #853513 1st Sep 2020 8:13am
Tim in Scotland

So which new Defender should I have purchased as a better off retired single person not into working any longer or “adventuring” - maybe my group should be buying a Honda E or a Jazz, moving to Eastbourne and writing off JLR because they don’t want to sell to better off retired couch potatoes living in rural Scotland Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #853520 1st Sep 2020 8:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>