↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Where is the Puma engine made?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Zagato... your not only a dreamer you are a fortune teller as well... buy a Sinclair C5 instead.. you have asked every Q possible now you are looking at 20 years ahead of where us Defender owners are today... Dream on mate and smash your Piggy bank and post what you buy? PEST ALERT? 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #56932 5th Feb 2011 5:52pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I kinda see folks point here - Zag, mate, you can afford one, you want one...just get one and enjoy it! Life is too short to worry so much! Thumbs Up 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #56938 5th Feb 2011 6:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RED-DOT

Scotland 
He has been on here a month and asked every Q that has been asked before and warned us once he buys a Defender he has dozens more Q's to come.. i am Puffed out with him... Sorry Zag yer a PEST!!! 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #56942 5th Feb 2011 6:37pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Leave it out RD. You made your point before.
Post #56944 5th Feb 2011 6:40pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Mr. Green 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #56945 5th Feb 2011 6:42pm
lrdxb110

United Arab Emirates 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
RD are you the forum police!? Rolling with laughter

I'm sorry RD but Zagato is entitled to ask anything he wants in regards with defenders it is an online discussion website where people can hold conversations Whistle '08 LR Defender 110
'08 Mini Cooper S - Sidewalk
'86 MB 500 SL
'79 MB 450SEL 6.9
Post #56963 5th Feb 2011 7:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
lrdxb110 wrote:
RD are you the forum police!? Rolling with laughter

I'm sorry RD but Zagato is entitled to ask anything he wants in regards with defenders it is an online discussion website where people can hold conversations Whistle

Agree 100%. The whole point of a forum is the people with knowledge/experience can educate those with none or little. I fall firmly into the latter when it comes to Defenders Embarassed , unless we're talking about aviation fuel and then I'm your man... When somebody has stuck a Pegasus Jet engine in a 110 then gimme a shout Thumbs Up

Maybe Zag's not hit the search button as often as some would like but that's no crime. K9's made a fair point to mention it and I'm sure Zag will do so in the future, if not already.

Give the guy a break and share in his excitement. If you don't like it... don't post.... Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #56971 5th Feb 2011 8:00pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Yes I am guilty of being very enthusiastic about buying a new Defender. I will curtail my excitement on here,........as it will now be channeled through Jeremy at the Park Royal branch on Monday.

Have fun in them all Thumbs Up
Post #56980 5th Feb 2011 8:39pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Zagato wrote:
Yes I am guilty of being very enthusiastic about buying a new Defender. I will curtail my excitement on here,........as it will now be channeled through Jeremy at the Park Royal branch on Monday.

Have fun in them all Thumbs Up

Ah, you are seeing him then? Excellent. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #56981 5th Feb 2011 8:44pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Zagato, you are entitled to get as much info as you can before your purchase. Me, before I bought a Puma I checked to see what the Australians thought of it. Out there it will get pretty serious use and maindealers can be 1000's of kms. away. Anyway the overall opinion was positive so I bought one. There are some of the Australian members on this site. While no machine is 100% perfect and the Defender is hand built it is perhaps the best Land Rover that they have come up with. It is extremely quiet,very easy to drive, very comfortable on long journeys and a very capable machine.
Unlike past Land Rovers when you had to go to the gym to build up muscles to steer them, the steering on the Puma is beautifully balanced and precise without the built in wander factor of old. Fair enough there have been some issues with some components, I myself have had a clutch replaced, but past models including the 300 tdi and the Td5 had issues when they hit the show rooms first. Now they are highly regarded members of the Defender family.
Some people have bemoaned the fact that the powerplant is a unit that was forced on Land Rover and not one they had planned to use themselves. My take is that the Td5 had been around for some time and Land Rover must have known that owing to emissions regulations it would need replacing sometime. They must have been working on a replacement engine. If this had been far enough advanced I am sure Ford would have used it. Maybe having looked at the Ford unit Land Rover decided it had advantages over their own planned replacement. If they were dead against it I am sure they could have made a case for their own unit.
You will get a three year warranty so that should give peace of mind. Sadly your warranty is only as good as the dealer you go to. There are some lazy, unhelpful dealers out there. Before you buy talk to the service manager as he will determine how useful you warranty will be. People on this site have recommended dealers who are good to deal with. Go to one of these even if it means a bit of travelling. As regards information you have come to the right place as there is always someone here who can be of help.
Sadly the way bureaucrats in Europe are going this could possibly be the last chance you will have to own a real Defender. Nothing in life is certain so just enjoy it. My brake vacuum pump has not gone yet but if it goes when the warranty is up, so what? I will get it replaced. On the overall balance of things the Puma is a winner.
It will effect you judgement I am afraid. During the recent snow I even found myself asking the mrs. whether we should fire up the Puma and travel out to check on her mother. Easiest brownie points I ever earned.
Life has no gaurantees but I will gaurantee you that the Puma will put a smile on your face every time you get into it, let alone drive it. Go on join the family you know at heart that you are one of us. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #57009 5th Feb 2011 9:45pm
hornet

[...]
:thumbsup:
Post #57374 7th Feb 2011 2:16pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks for that Spudfan - you almost have a full house there Laughing
Post #57380 7th Feb 2011 2:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12