Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Pre trip Maintainance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
johnnyd

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Pre trip Maintainance
Hi All

I am off to Scotland in early Sept, I had the Landy serviced in March and all was OK, no advisories

Do I need to have it checked do you think prior to the trip, it will be around a 1000 mile round trip, i see a little oil on the diffs, but otherwise all seems OK. I regularly do 50 mile round trips on the Motorway

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #556891 18th Aug 2016 9:47am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

I've just come back from over 1800 miles in Annecy (France) 520 miles driven in one day from Calais to Annecy Smile

My car had a full service before I went, then I checked the tyre pressure as it was loaded up. Put some spare water in the back along with the bits a need for europe (yellow jackets, bulbs, triangle, breathalyzer etc). Checked I had the locking wheel nuts, wheel brace, jack etc.

It did it no problem and was far more comfortable than I thought would be. Happy at 65 / 70 mph hour after hour and coming back it was well loaded up Smile On the way down to Calais it did 32 mpg !! (a 110 loaded up family of 4 and bike on the back...) overall it averaged over the trip 27 mpg.

As long as its driving well currently and nothing obvious, you should have no worries enjoy your trip.
Post #556896 18th Aug 2016 10:20am
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
A month or so ago we jumped in the truck and drove to Dover (193 miles); caught the ferry, overnighted in Vierzon (354 miles); next day to Andorra (419 miles); then to Narbonne (223 miles); onwards to our gaff (260 miles).

Just a few hundred miles bumbling around our holiday home (soon to be our résidence principale), then 346 miles to Lyon and another 362 to St Quentin.

I don't know how many miles from there to home, I'd guess around 350.

What I'm getting at is, if I didn't have a vehicle that I doubted would drive for a 3,000 miles trip on normal roads with anything more than a check on oil (I used none) and perhaps tyre pressures, it wouldn't be kept for very long! But yours seems fine, the only "spares" needed are a credit card and AA/RAC membership (I'm in the ADAC, cheaper), have fun...

Peter
Post #557033 18th Aug 2016 7:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1