↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Dead Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
KGH

United States 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Dead Puma
After a trip from Stuttgart, two days camping in Alps, down to Nice (we left day before), 3 days in Provence, and then Paris...

Parked car in one of Paris' special overheight garages. Went to pick it up, battery dead. Figured maybe with fridge plugged in it drew, even when turned off. Push started a fully loaded 110.

I assumed that if I drove back to hotel, got wife and kids, and left it running it would charge.

Left Paris. Two hours later stop for fuel. I slowed to a coast then shut off, tried to start with key. Nothing. Popped clutch while still coasting, fired up. Got fuel, back on road. Wife takes over driving, I nap.

15 mins into it, she wakes me up, as Three Amigos (TC, ABS, and Brake indicators) have appeared. I shut off air, they go off, she pulls to side and I drive. 45 mins later Amigos are back, with battery light and check engine light. And now limp mode...no faster than 60 KMH. Then all gauges die. We luckily found an exit, pulled off, payed excessive French toll, and found a park spot. Truck died. Key only gets starter clicks.

Tow driver took us to local garage, we swapped a battery in, and still just clicks from starter.

German auto club covered tow back to dealer, hotel, rental car, so good there. 2013 110 - Keswick Green
1995 ExRAF 110 Utility
1986 127 HCPU
1985 110 PU
2012 Disco4
Post #549604 18th Jul 2016 8:03pm
xpertoftheseas

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I don't need to tell you that this is a voltage issue. The problem is - where is the issue?

If it is a new battery - check the terminal voltage when not connected, then connect and measure again. Should stay the same with ignition off.

However - this is sounding like an alternator issue. Three amigos is common with lower voltage, and if the alternator voltage regulator is failing then this can cause the three lights. Jump start the 110, then measure the battery terminal voltage (should be no less than 13.6v, but ideally 13.8v). If the garage has the means, then measure the battery current (on the positive lead) when engine is running (if battery is dead, you should see >100amps). If the engine stopped voltage is less than 11v then the battery is discharged. If the engine stopped voltage is >12.2v then battery should be OK, however try cranking and watch the voltage - if it drops considerably (<11v) then battery is weak (and will cause clicking of starter solenoid).

Critically, when the engine is running, anything less than 13.6v means an alternator issue.

Hope this helps...

Glad to hear you left Nice when you did...... just tragic... My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #549890 19th Jul 2016 11:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1