↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Preparation for wading?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JOE_130

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Java Black
Preparation for wading?
Afternoon all,

I collected my 130 from having a raised air intake fitted this morning - had one fabricated so it mates up to the tricky puma airbox nicely to avoid any leaks and also so it mounts to the SD cage. Primary reason was to reduce the dust ingress after seeing the state of my filter last year Shocked but figured I may as well prep it for the wading advantages too.

Does anyone have a definite list of what needs waterproofing on a puma?

> Not sure what I'm doing about the drain in the bottom of the air box yet so that's a decision yet to be made.

> I'm extending the breathers for both axles, transfer box and gearbox up the snorkel. Anyone got any hints on getting to the one on top of the gearbox that breathes in to the bell housing? Looks a nightmare to get to.

> I plan on sealing both under seat boxes up as I don't intend to wade deep enough/long enough to have full footwells.

> Does the fuel tank breath in to the filler neck? Any fixes for stopping water getting in the tank?

> Has anyone had any problems with the ECU location?

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated!! Not planning on wading through water over the bonnet for anything other than a quick splash on entry.

Cheers

Joe

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by JOE_130 on 5th Jul 2016 3:35pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #545062 1st Jul 2016 3:01pm
JR

Scotland 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Coniston Green
Hopefully not relevant these days but when the Td5 first came out a colleague needed a replacement engine within weeks as the dealer hadn't sealed the snorkel fitted pre-delivery. Luckily for him the dealer or Land Rover paid the bill.

Anyway the important bit, another colleague seeing this asked Land Rover if he could seal the ecu's in a plastic box (remember they are under the rh seat in the Td5), Land Rover apparently said this would invalidate the warranty. He then asked if he could seal the seat box, Land Rover said no to this too!

The biggest irony with the Td5 was that every Td5 Defender at the Press Launch had the ecu's relocated to above the headlining/driver's sunvisor, so they bloody well knew there was a problem!
Post #545370 2nd Jul 2016 5:55pm
JOE_130

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Java Black
The TD5 is one of the reasons for asking! Our Dad's got a td5 90 with the afore mentioned ECU placement. Its got a snorkel on it but I've always hated that its pretty much only there for show/dust as we'd drown the ECU long before the water reached the air intake Sad
Post #546213 5th Jul 2016 1:56pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
I remember reading somewhere that the RNLI went through there Defender fleet and gave them a upgrade/life extension program which included things like new crossmembers/galv chassis.

One of the things they did was to move the ECU up into the roof space and headlining. I cant find the article now but remember it generating some discussion at the time.

Who did the conversions/restorations I don't know. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #546509 6th Jul 2016 12:48pm
dorsetsmith

Have seen TD5 ECU moved up to the bulk head with out new loom and also the under fuse box and relay too

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42439.html
Post #546512 6th Jul 2016 12:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1