↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > pums 2013 clonking on gear change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rod

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
pums 2013 clonking on gear change
Hi CAN ANY ONE SHED LIGHT ON TO THIS PLEASE.
2.2 PUMA 110 2013 26000K MILES. When i change gear i get a clonk underneath. LR have supplied and installed new half shafts and prop they tell me while they had it for 4 days.
problem is still there.LR SAY THATS IT nothing else they can do. The warranty runs out in 3 weeks would appreciate and ideas
could it be clutch?

thanks
rod
Post #550418 22nd Jul 2016 12:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Could be the clutch but they usually go wrong in other ways, if it's in neutral with the clutch connected, drive engaged (foot off the pedal) do you get a rattle?

If the clonk is serious then a possible cause is the intermediate adaptor shaft that connects the gearbox and transfer box. They are a frequent cause of issues.

Possible clonks come from that shaft, UJs (but those would have been replaced with the prop shafts), diffs, half shafts and drive flanges. I would assume that they changed the drive flanges with the half shafts but I might be wrong on that one. If the prop shafts or the handbrake aren't bolted on properly you can get some funny noises too.

When does it clonk? Is it when you pull away, change gear,...? What do you use the car for, much towing?
Post #550433 22nd Jul 2016 1:23pm
Rod

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
thanks for the detailed thoughts.
it clonks as follows. driving, clutch down change gear clutch up clonk, sounds like the center rear area.
also does it same set up in reverse.
i will check with lr what was done as on warranty work they hand out no paper work, all they said was half shafts and prop.
towing wise, not sure i got the lrd at 11k the lady had a pony and small horse box that she said occasionally was towed, didn't think this would stress it too much ?
i towed an 8m rib and trailer for years on a ford ranger and no dramas

This post has been edited by the site administration team: CAPS OFF
Post #550441 22nd Jul 2016 1:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Could be clutch adjustment is out, Im sure I read on here someone had the same clonk problem due to lock nuts spinning!
Post #550444 22nd Jul 2016 2:02pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Play in the rear axle A frame ball joint is a prime candidate for creating clunks as are diffs, half shafts, drive members, loose pinion and propshaft fixings. Also check shock and suspension bushes and, as has already been mentioned, you have the possibility of play in the adapter shaft but they are generally either ok ...or you have no drive.

If that lost doesn't fix it take a look at the clutch switch too.

Oh and

Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #550447 22nd Jul 2016 2:09pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Or come an see me for therapy.......
Post #550476 22nd Jul 2016 4:23pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Cupboard wrote:
Could be the clutch but they usually go wrong in other ways, if it's in neutral with the clutch connected, drive engaged (foot off the pedal) do you get a rattle?

If the clonk is serious then a possible cause is the intermediate adaptor shaft that connects the gearbox and transfer box. They are a frequent cause of issues.

Possible clonks come from that shaft, UJs (but those would have been replaced with the prop shafts), diffs, half shafts and drive flanges. I would assume that they changed the drive flanges with the half shafts but I might be wrong on that one. If the prop shafts or the handbrake aren't bolted on properly you can get some funny noises too.

When does it clonk? Is it when you pull away, change gear,...? What do you use the car for, much towing?

As per Cupboard i would suspect intermediate adaptor shaft mine was clonky and that fixed it DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #550482 22nd Jul 2016 5:43pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Is it on every gear change or just under certain circumstances, is it equally clonky each time - can you shed any further light on symptoms?
Post #550487 22nd Jul 2016 6:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1