↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Led indicator problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
Led indicator problem
I've had led indicators all round (bar side repeaters) on my 300tdi for some time now and never had a problem, until two days ago when I fitted the new RDX side repeaters. Now when I indicate, the opposite side flashes as well, only dimmer. From what I can gather from various searches, is that there is a very small amount of power getting to the lights, enough to light the led's, but not the original bulbs. There were also mutterings about bad earths and adding ballast resistors.
Anyone any ideas what could fix this?
Post #461083 6th Oct 2015 8:49pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Most likely earthing in my experience.
Check, remove, clean and re-tighten Earth to chassis straps and bolts.
Especially the rear.
Post #461091 6th Oct 2015 9:00pm
BuckBlu110

Oh I do love earths Rolling Eyes , I've had this game with them before. Don't suppose I'll get away with just adding a new earth on the negative of the new side repeaters?
Post #461103 6th Oct 2015 9:23pm
BuckBlu110

Small update on this, whilst fitting led bulbs to the dash, I've encountered an interesting turn of events, fitted the indicator warning bulb, and now when indicating right, the indicators flash as they should, except the passenger side still flashes, but very dimly, more so than before. When indicating left, all indicators work as they should, so the right side doesn't light up at the same time, but the dash light doesn't flash now.
So could this mean that the earth in the passenger wing needs looking at?
Post #461901 9th Oct 2015 7:33pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You really want a multimeter to check for continuity of earthing.
You can also try temporary / jury earth to identify the problem. Then you should be able to do a permanent fix.
I think the problem is probably a shared earth so not near the lights themselves but a common earth hence the flashing of unwanted lights.

On a Puma the earth strap is on the transfer box, not sure on a 300.

If you have a tow socket in good order you could identify the earth pin and link it to a good chassis earth temporarily. ( make sure it's insulated from other terminals.
As its a common earth see if it does the trick.
If it does then you'll need to search for the earth to chassis strap and there are often a few underneath.
Post #461911 9th Oct 2015 8:12pm
BuckBlu110

Thanks for the help, I'll have a look at the continuity, probably before that, locate any hidden earths. Could do with a indicator circuit diagram really. I'm wondering if there's an earth for this hidden behind the dash. Confused
Post #461921 9th Oct 2015 8:59pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
I've just had an earth problem affecting all the rear lights/indicators

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40439.html

Check the earth point on the right hand side of the transfer box.
This earth point is responsible for lots of swearing/tantrum throwing....... Whistle Rolling with laughter 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #461927 9th Oct 2015 9:11pm
BuckBlu110

Another update, I noticed the dash light for the indicators/hazards wasn't working, (it worked fine yesterday!) I removed the led and fitted the original bulb, now the light flashes and operates as normal when using the indicators, but doesn't flash when the hazards are on. Ive been through most of the earth points too and the original problem still persists, although there are a couple left to check out. Could this still be earth point related?
Ruddy electrics! Banging Head Laughing
Post #462058 10th Oct 2015 2:46pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
This is a known problem on a 300Tdi. And there is a fix, firstly take out the instrument flasher warning bulb, easy to do just undo the two screws on the warning light cluster and remove the little bulb. Next try your indicators with the warning light removed right and left they should work perfectly, if this is the case it will be due to an earth return through the loom from the indicators to the warning light (which it will be).

If all works with the warning bulb removed then you will need to phone up Bolt on Bits and just say I need the fix for my LED flashers on my 300Tdi Defender, they will immediately know what you are talking about and will sell you a new style warning bulb that has an earth lead attached, just connect the lead to a good earth and then put the new bulb in the warning light cluster and the job will be a good un! And everything will work as it should.

Bolt on Bits do not sell this fix through their Ebay store you have to phone them up to order the part their number is 01274 688 388 For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #462067 10th Oct 2015 3:31pm
BuckBlu110

Thanks gilarion, I'll take a look Very Happy
Post #462100 10th Oct 2015 6:18pm
BuckBlu110

gilarion, you are a saint, looks like you were right, I've removed the bulb and now all is well, apart from obviously no dash light, so looks like I'll be getting contact with BoB on Monday and sorting out a earthed bulb Thumbs Up
Thanks!!!
Post #462109 10th Oct 2015 6:46pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up
Post #462115 10th Oct 2015 7:13pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
BuckBlu110 wrote:
gilarion, you are a saint, looks like you were right, I've removed the bulb and now all is well, apart from obviously no dash light, so looks like I'll be getting contact with BoB on Monday and sorting out a earthed bulb Thumbs Up
Thanks!!!

Glad that I was able to help. Note. The bulbs that Bolt On Bits sells although it looks the same as the original with the exception of the earth lead! The new bulb can on some clusters be a little stiff to insert, but it will go in the slot just use a tiny bit of force and it will twist in, the extra force will not break anything.

Personally my advice would be when you have the time, I would cut off the dummy male bulb connector from the bolt on bits side repeater, cut off the female part of the bulb holder that sticks out of the wing and hard wire the side repeaters as I have heard that some people who have fitted them say over time the dummy bulb connector works loose. Make sure if you do this that the wiring is connected right as they are polarity specific Red to green white to black if I remember correctly. But do check to make sure. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #462274 11th Oct 2015 1:15pm
BuckBlu110

Cheers gilarion, I'll keep that in mind. I was thinking of changing the connectors to the plugs that are used on the side lights and other indicators. The male 501 fitting is the only bad point about these RDX side repeaters.
Post #462286 11th Oct 2015 3:32pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
Thanks for the steer gilarion. I am well on with sorting out my indicator issue with LED lights. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #496822 26th Jan 2016 10:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1