↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Clutch rattle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Clutch rattle
Noticed a rattle from the clutch when in neutral which stops when the clutch is pressed. It's a MY13 vehicle.

I know there are a few people who have had clutches replaced. Has then been under warranty or excluded as wear and tear?
Post #460540 5th Oct 2015 9:13am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
A rattle such as you describe is caused by the clutch driven plate damper springs taking on a permanent set and becoming loose, and should be dealt with under warranty, unless I suppose your vehicle is *very* high mileage, and even then I think you should be able to argue the case, given that it is such a well-known problem.

It is not wear and tear, it is an inadequate driven plate, a fact recognised by LR through the number of revisions it has undergone, without actually getting significantly better.

In my experience (with most of the iterations of driven plate in a vehicle which has now done 175,000 miles) the latest driven plate should be good for at least 50k miles but possibly not much more.

It is also worth bearing in mind that it is not operating the clutch which compresses the springs, they are squishing back and forth all the time the vehicle is being driven.
Post #460554 5th Oct 2015 10:24am
milesr3

Thanks for the reply. It's just clocked over 30K. I will take it down to the dealer and get them to have a listen, they have been good in the past with getting things done under warranty.

[edit] Have spoken to the dealer and booked it in. They require 4 hours labour to remove/re-fit the gearbox to be able to inspect the clutch plate before being able to make any decision regarding whether the work will be covered by the warranty. Not impressed!
Post #460569 5th Oct 2015 11:09am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
A very poor attitude from the dealer, I feel. If it is under warranty and there is clearly something wrong in the form of the "death rattle" there should be no question of you having to pay anything towards the investigation nor the repair.

It might be worth having a word with the Dealer Principal and voicing your unease.

This is a well-known problem and, unless the dealer is contesting the presence of the rattle (or doing the usual "they're all like that, sir" thing) it should be a no-brainer. If the springs fall out, the warranty repair bill will be whole lot higher! 30k miles is a ridiculously short life for a driven plate (which shouldn't actually 'wear out' in under 100k miles, and 150k to 200k miles should be possible with good driving technique).

If the box is coming out I'd be tempted to ask them to inspect and lubricate the gearbox output adaptor shaft splines while it's out (this entails separating the main and transfer gearboxes, but it relatively little work with the box out). This is another of the Puma's relatively few significant weak points, and failure can occur at low mileages if the joint wasn't properly lubricated on assembly. failure will result in complete loss of drive, and the result could be catastophic if you are, for example, in the middle of a busy junction or on a level crossing.
Post #460625 5th Oct 2015 2:06pm
milesr3

TADTS won't wash with me because I've owned the vehicle for the last 2 years and it the clutch was silent until now. I've also never had to replace a clutch before. If I had less mechanical sympathy and a longer warranty then I would let it grenade itself.

I've started a thread in the customer relations section.
Post #460661 5th Oct 2015 2:55pm
schuee

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I had exactly the same issue when mine had about 17,000 mile on the clock, dealer simply listened to it and replaced the clutch, cannot faulty them for warranty work, don't give into them Thumbs Up
Post #460926 6th Oct 2015 11:37am
milesr3

...and now the rattle has stopped altogether for the last couple of days.
Post #461264 7th Oct 2015 12:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1