Home > Puma (Tdci) > Clutch Flow Restrictor / Torque Limiter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SiWhite

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Clutch Flow Restrictor / Torque Limiter
My clutch issues continue...

Symptoms as follows; clutch normal when cold, but after about 20 minutes of driving the bite point sinks to close to the floor and the pedal sometimes needs assistance to lift again. The fluid was black but has recently been changed.

I've changed the master cylinder and bled the system from the bleed point, to no avail.

Is it possible to change the clutch flow restrictor without removing the gearbox? I've seen that this part http://www.paddockspares.com/uug500040-valve-assy-control.html is available - I'm hoping that it might be at fault, which would save splitting the engine and gearbox.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts... My blog - www.anacreinhampshire.blogspot.co.uk

110 TD5 BuildHERE - sold!
110 Tdci Build HERE - sold!
Passat Alltrack - 4x4, auto, 45mpg, gloriously comfortable - but not a Defender!
Post #459706 1st Oct 2015 10:39pm
Lorryman100

Yes it can be replaced without splitting the gearbox as I had exactly the same symptoms as yourself and the new valve did not help. Turned out to be a leaking slave cylinder, very slight leak. Next time you go for a run keep your foot on the clutch pedal enough to take up any pedal slack. If the pedal remains stiff try it without your foot on the clutch pedal and see if it sinks to the floor. Once the pedal sinks to the floor if you pump it a couple of times does the pedal return to normal stiffness?
Post #459729 2nd Oct 2015 12:00am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SiWhite

Lorryman - I can get it back to normal operation by quickly pumping the pedal a few times, but it soon reverts to short travel. My symptoms sound like yours...new slave required? Did you do the work yourself? My blog - www.anacreinhampshire.blogspot.co.uk

Passat Alltrack - 4x4, auto, 45mpg, gloriously comfortable - but not a Defender!
Post #459746 2nd Oct 2015 6:55am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Your symptoms don't really sound to me like a restrictor fault, and too think it is likely to be slave cylinder.

The restrictor is outside the bellhousing, effectively it is fitted between the inlet to the slave cylinder (this inlet is also outside the bellhousing, though the cylinder is of course inside) and the pipe from the master cylinder.

I had a quick look online for a photo of the arrangement, but evey photo I can find of the Defender MT82 transmission shows the offside of the box, and the clutch pipework is on the nearside!

It actually isn't too big a job to get at the clutch on a TDCi Defender, and it does give you a good opportunity to inspect and lubricate the output adaptor shaft at the same time.

Is your vehicle under warranty still?
Post #459767 2nd Oct 2015 9:18am
SiWhite

Thanks for your thoughts fellas. Sadly no warranty.

I think I'll have to bite the bullet and get her booked in to my (not so) local but trusted indie. The vehicle is 2009 so I guess a late model clutch will be more reliable as well. My blog - www.anacreinhampshire.blogspot.co.uk

Post #459770 2nd Oct 2015 9:26am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Ah, I wasn't sure if it was the 2013 model in your avatar or not.
Post #459801 2nd Oct 2015 12:20pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Si - i would put money on the slabe, the bumps driving it along help it leak! do the job yourself. if mileage is around £50-60k i would split the T box off the gbox and check the int drive too for lube. add as required. its not a tricky job to do. i would do slave, master, and restrictor all in one. note that the slave and restrictor have a 3rd adaptor peice to join them get all three as some bore sizes vary. its very annoying to find that out when its all in bits on the floor. Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
130 2011 M57 bespoke Camper
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #459814 2nd Oct 2015 1:00pm
Lorryman100

SiWhite wrote:
Lorryman - I can get it back to normal operation by quickly pumping the pedal a few times, but it soon reverts to short travel. My symptoms sound like yours...new slave required? Did you do the work yourself?

No I saved myself the time by getting an indy to do it. Thumbs Up
Post #459993 2nd Oct 2015 11:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1