↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Potentially Stupid Tow Ball Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
David87

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Potentially Stupid Tow Ball Question
I have a 15MY Defender 90 that doesn't have a tow bar. I'm not looking to tow trailers etc. on the road for now (can sort that out if / when I need to), but I'm just after something to allow me to shunt stuff round my yard or rescue a car stuck in snow and stuff like that.

I've seen that Land Rover do part RTC8891AA, which is a simple tow ball that looks like it'd do the trick. Is that kind of thing my best bet? Not really sure how it attaches to the car either - can it go directly onto the rear bumper or is something else needed to mount it?

Many thanks - I know nothing about this kind of thing! Laughing
Post #459474 1st Oct 2015 9:48am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That part number appears to be for a simple standard towball only. In order to fit one you will need one of the several mounting brackets which are available for Defenders.

You basic choice is between a fixed mounting (which may offer several alternative mounting heights, but everything is bolted on so cannot easily and quickly be adjusted) or an adjustable type, where a ladder-like device is bolted to the crossmember, the ball is mounted on a detachable plate, and the plate is pinned to the ladder at the appropriate height for the trailer you want to move. Easily and quickly adjustable, and you can remove the slider with the ball to prevent theft or stop you whacking your shins on it. This type is, inevitably, more expensive.

Fixed type: https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11568/photo.JPG

Adjustable type: http://www.pfjones.co.uk/images/detailed/8...6_7000.jpg

If you want a simple, versatile setup for the sort of things you mention, which is future-proof against a possible later requirement to tow a trailer, either would do. If you anticipate a need to move things using a rope or chain, you'd be better of with a coupling that combines a pin/jaw coupling with a ball, such as one of these:-

http://www.all-about-the-home.co.uk/ekmps/...3995-p.gif

(Note these photos are just the first ones that a Google image search has produced, I am not endorsing suppliers etc).

Hope this helps.
Post #459489 1st Oct 2015 10:09am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
That part is just the ball itself, a bracket/plate is needed as well.

New take-off tow bars brackets come up on eBay, and there are aftermarket versions available from the likes of Witter, Britpart etc. I have a Witter R28 on my 15MY 90.

Be aware that 110 and 90 tow bar kits are not the same (the tie bar arms are different).  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #459505 1st Oct 2015 11:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1