Home > My Defender > My new (to me) Defender 90 Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 13 of 34 <123 ... 121314 ... 323334>
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Dave from VGS has just left and what an amazing job he has done. Wow. Bow down

Here's some pictures to show the work as it went along. He said he didn't mind me taking pictures. If you are thinking about getting this panoramic glass then get Dave to fit it, the extra materials he uses for trimming up the frames and the plastic trim, the attention to detail and finish is worth every penny.

I went for the panoramic sides, rear quarters and the latest rear half door heated glass with LED brake light

He started by pushing in the rear quarter-lights, it's shocking how easy these are to push in (Then you can reach in, undo the back door and steal everything inside Shocked ) It literally took about three blows with the palm of his hand to push the glass in safely as the rubber gives way.

Click image to enlarge

Then he took out the rear door glass, taking care to undo the wires for the heating element and stop light. After that he masks up the side panel and removes the rear sliding windows. Unlike cheap versions and early versions, these are bonded in and need slicing and removing. Dave knows what he is doing so no damage is done.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Once the side windows are out he cleans up the side panel and primes it for adhesive after going round and putting on trim strip to the edges.

Click image to enlarge

This ensures a professional look all round.

Click image to enlarge

Dave then starts to apply the adhesive in his special motorised gun, and begins pushing the glass onto the bodywork. He has to work swiftly as the bonding glue goes off pretty quick.

Once the glass is in place he masks up again and goes round sealing the edges for a really professional look (apparently some lesser fitters try and wedge bits of metal strip in the corners) He then scrapes off the excess, smooths off and removes the masking. It's all done in a matter of minutes.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

While I had the interior trim out of the way I removed the rear seat belts as they are in the way, simply 2 bolts so it's very easy to put them back if I ever reconfigure the rear with the seats etc.

Here you can see the mounting bracket for the seat belt

Click image to enlarge

Dave fits the rear door glass and uses more neat trim strip to hide the wires from the new HELLA LED stop light, and also the wires for the heating elements are hidden away too. While he was at it he fixed my rear door shut which wasn't holding the door open (and found a few loose bolts for me to tighten up in the rear tub) He also applied another trim strip to the rear interior panels to ensure an OE look to the fit and finish. He really does a thorough job.

Click image to enlarge

I mentioned to him that I was going to seal between the body sides and the tub as the old foam seal was letting water into the rear, so he quickly masked it all up and used his special bonding adhesive to do it for me, he does it so quick! What a legend this man is.

Click image to enlarge

Once all the glass is in place, he goes round neatening the bonding, cleaning up, then polishes the glass. The end result is truly magnificent, I am SO HAPPY at the look of this. once I have put my alcantara headlining in this Defender will seem like a totally different animal to the out of the box CSW I bought back in July.

Tomorrow I will wash the car and black up all the rubber and plastic, tyres etc, and take a few shots of it in all it's glory with the rear Sawtooth mounted too.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #471314 10th Nov 2015 3:34pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Very nice gives it a much cleaner look Very Happy
Post #471367 10th Nov 2015 7:31pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
It looks a good job. Thumbs Up
Just not sure about it myself.
Post #471383 10th Nov 2015 8:29pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I'm sitting on the fence....

I sort of like it but also not sure...... I appreciate the work and your fitting guy seems very good !!

What's the view like inside looking behind you?

also does this conversion mean its now a 2 seater as you mention the seatbelts are taken out at the rear?

I think it will grow on me....
Post #471388 10th Nov 2015 9:09pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I love the panoramic look on black defenders but on any other colour it just looks odd imo, but if you like it, that's all that matters Thumbs Up Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #471392 10th Nov 2015 9:16pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I realise it's not everyone's taste, but I love it. I have now decided a black roof would diminish the impact of the wraparound glass so will keep it body coloured.

I removed the rear seats when I first got it as I need the space for dogs, guns, kit etc on the shoot. As they are no longer in the car there's also no need to have seatbelts bolted to the tub floor. I've kept every last nut, bolt and fastener should I ever need to re-convert though.

The view from inside is almost the same as before in terms of glass area, the side windows no longer have the frame so they are a bit bigger, the glass is clearer all round and it feels very spacious, maybe because there is no longer the frame in the centre of the side panels (vertical) 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #471408 10th Nov 2015 9:39pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Brilliant, looks ace! I've had Dave's glass on mine for a few years now, and it's the best mod I've done! Thumbs Up An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #471413 10th Nov 2015 9:56pm
mcma1

I like it.. Although I decided not to do the rear as I don't like the cut out around the hinge. It's always a huge decision to go for the landyglass, it was more stressful for me as I had to cut the holes out!!
Enjoy. New headlining with make a huge difference. Andy

2014 Fuji 110 SW LS3
https://www.defender2.net/forum/post751233.html#751233

2014 Corris 110 SW
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40056.html

My old Xtech 90 build..
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic15681.html

LS3 V8 build...
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic49051.html
Post #471433 10th Nov 2015 10:30pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
RRUK wrote:
I realise it's not everyone's taste, but I love it. I have now decided a black roof would diminish the impact of the wraparound glass so will keep it body coloured.

I removed the rear seats when I first got it as I need the space for dogs, guns, kit etc on the shoot. As they are no longer in the car there's also no need to have seatbelts bolted to the tub floor. I've kept every last nut, bolt and fastener should I ever need to re-convert though.

The view from inside is almost the same as before in terms of glass area, the side windows no longer have the frame so they are a bit bigger, the glass is clearer all round and it feels very spacious, maybe because there is no longer the frame in the centre of the side panels (vertical)

Not really my cup of tea, BUT, there is no doubt that Dave is the man for the job. Has anyone ever had an adverse word to say about this guy?....I don't think so.
The finished job has created one very smart Defender for you, & I absolutely agree with your choice of leaving the roof silver,....would've been too much "Black", had you repainted, IMHO.
So congrats on your absolutely pristine Defender. It's always rewarding when you plan something, & it works out the way you want it, isn't it.
Regards, Pickles.
Post #471441 10th Nov 2015 11:02pm
jb71

United Kingdom 
Wasnt sure I'd like the glass on grey, but on reflection I think it looks Thumbs Up
Post #471463 10th Nov 2015 11:43pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
This is the view from the inside. As these are a proper tinted glass it's very clear and bright.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #471592 11th Nov 2015 3:01pm
jimz

United Kingdom 
Looks stunning, if I had a 90 I would want it to look like this.
Post #471771 11th Nov 2015 10:24pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I put the Sawtooth spare back on (after coating it with Porboys alloy wheel sealant) and then stood back, admired it, and took a photo. Admittedly the driveway is not a scenic place to have the 'end result' shots done so maybe one day I'll find a better location where the lighting is better.

Click image to enlarge
 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #471860 12th Nov 2015 9:45am
TD5_dan

2001 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Looks absolutely fantastic I really like it. What are you going to do about your side step chequer plate powdercoat it black? 2001 TD5 110 County Station Wagon - sold
1970 Series 2A Station Wagon
1970 Series 2A hard top
1960 Series 2
1972 Series 3
Post #471896 12th Nov 2015 12:21pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
No I am leaving it as is. I can't drill them off easily as they are slightly under the sills, I don't have a bendy drill. They don't upset or offend me. 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #471907 12th Nov 2015 1:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 13 of 34 <123 ... 121314 ... 323334>