↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > EGT temp gauge - anybody has one with the 2.2 TD4 ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
landybehr

EGT temp gauge - anybody has one with the 2.2 TD4 ?
Hi,
I wonder whether Iīve missed that thereīs a good gauge to measure the exhaust gas temperature on the 2.2Tdci to add.
īThink the ECU has a sensor that measures that, but seems to be no use for the driver, even with scangauge?
Post #258089 12th Aug 2013 8:39am
Alexke

Belgium 
In the 2.4 there is no pyrometer to my knowledge . but the 2.2 might have due to DPF.
Its probably proprietary code in the ecu , so you need a fancy BOSH or JLR scanners .
The easiest way is to drill a pyrometer in the exhaust after the turbo.

I also would like a pyrometer , temperatures tell so much on an engine , and definitely on a diesel engine . Discovery 4 SDV6 Landmark
F31 320dA Msport xDrive
LR Defender 90SW TD4 Stornoway grey
320d E46
E70 X5 3.0d Sold!
FFRR TD6 - Sold
Post #261281 25th Aug 2013 9:48pm
Natlas

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
There is a K type thermocouple rated at up to 800 Deg C = cherry red, should be OK? how hot do you need to read?
You could lay it onto the exhaust pipe while clamping in place with a simple jubilee clip, avoids drilling a hole, and with a bit of high temp insulation should work well enough.
I used to make things like this, maybe I should investigate and start supplying them?
Cheers,
John. 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #262487 30th Aug 2013 8:58pm
landybehr

Are you sure the sensor would be sensitive, fast and precise enough if just clamped to the exhaust ?
Iīm inclined to think that the several mmīs of steel will cause a lag big enough to make it useless. We have people argueing about putting the probe up- or downstream of the turbo but IN the exhaust gas stream.

From what I read, 850°C is needed to be covered. To feel save, it should cover more.
Post #262760 31st Aug 2013 10:03pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Post #262769 31st Aug 2013 10:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Natlas

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Landybehr,
questions of time response and accuracy really depend on what you are trying to achieve with this measurement, can you explain?
I have seen another thread where it has been suggested this measurement might be used to indicate regeneration of DPF is occuring, which seems quite useful to me but won't particularly require accuracy or speed, only repeatability so you can see things are hotter than normal.
Thanks,
John. 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #263225 2nd Sep 2013 9:30pm
landybehr

Hi John,

the DPF topic came to my mind while thinking about what you just asked. As the position needed to reflect the "job" of the EGT sensor.
One aspect of the EGT gauge is that it allows to assess the load of the engine - too high temperatures for extended time can damage parts. Can help to control the throttle (especially on tuned cars).
Then you can nurse the turbo when you know how hot the turbine is - Iīm thinking here of a longer high speed run on motorways and you have a short break to ... and because youīre in a hurry to .. you stop the engine rather than having it idle for a while to cool down the turbine bearings and take care for itīs long-time lubrication. Knowing how hard the engine worked might help. But I repeat this parrot-fashion from forum discussions. Not really sure this alone justifies the expence.

Main reason for me, being honest, is the "nice to have" and the usual modify-race Smile
But if I just have a gauge, I want it to be exact. The position I have in mind is short way upstream of the turbo.
Post #263250 2nd Sep 2013 10:18pm
Shax

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
It wouldn't be too hard to knock up a high temp EGT display..

Pic 18F2431
Max6675
Stainless stud K type thermocouple
20*4 LCD display + STORM bezel
Handfull of other bits...
Programmed using Proton PB..

Bit of an oversimplification, but all do-able..
The killer is the cost for a one off...

I was building a 4 channel EGT display for a mate at work to use in his Scooby, but we all got laid off before it was complete, so never got finished.. ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #264134 5th Sep 2013 10:26pm
landybehr

Hi there,

I coming closer to realizing a EGT gauge in my 2.2

Iīve come across a recommendation of the following sensor:
http://www.enginesens.com/html/dts-v_iii.html
and while I cannot say anything for or against the probe due to lack of knowledge I chose to believe the guy saying that it will be fast and precise and "disintegrate-resistant" as much as I can ask for.

My main reason to shop from them is the instrument : http://motorsensor.de/html/dts-v_set.html
About the size of the Check-Temp thermometer thatīs already there and I like the plain, no-frills look of it.

Click image to enlarge

They might even look into changing the digits for ones with green illumination. Dependend on costs I might give them a go in this matter.

But while the probe and gauge are somewhat of a matter of "individual taste" I ask here because I have some "?" about the probe position:

The 2.2 are generally still in the warranty time so maybe that is why I can find little or none info or pics about installations.
The guy who recommended the above kit has had made a 15mm thick s/s steel piece shaped to according to the seal between exhaust manifold and Turbo on a 2.4 Puma. Into this steel piece the bung for the probe was welded. He said that welding them in makes them less prone to cracking later on (unless you do the welding badly) compared to drilling and cutting a thread. This sounds like a good idea, if only because you havenīt had modified the exhaust manifold and can simply exchange it for a factory replacement should that become necessary.
What about that on the 2.2 - good or bad idea ? Could it be a problem when the Turbo is moved by "kind of a distance/adaptor piece"?
And, īnother problem - I couldnīt find a seal between manifold and Turbo in the microcat grafic (this is with the 2.2; the 2.4 has a seal there). From the pic it looks like the Turbo is bolted directly to the manifold making it impossible to order a seal as a template to make the adaptor piece.

Well .. how have YOU done it ?? Confused
Post #314875 9th Mar 2014 10:48pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I've got mine just after the turbo in the very first part of the exhaust before the DPF "brick" , when the gasses speed up their is very little difference between before or after the turbo measurement.

Pete.
Post #314910 10th Mar 2014 12:17am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
Mad Man gauges of South Africa do an Exhaust Gas Temperature monitor as well as the Engine monitoring systems.

We have the EGT monitors in stock.

Given some time Barbara will get them onto our website.

Brendan
Post #314915 10th Mar 2014 12:51am
landybehr

Hi there,

Iīm about to order the EGT gauge kit. Hope to find a place in the exhaust manifold just before of the Turbo.

Confused Iīm unsure about the length of the probe. There are options (25 - 50mm, in 5mm steps). The website of the vendor says that 99% need the 50mm length and only few race applications take 35mm. Probe is usually delivered with 90° bend (but 45° or no bend are also available).

Can you confirm that (please Question ). Problem is I cannot trial-disassemble everything to check easily and would feel better if I neednīt order by guess.
Post #324165 16th Apr 2014 10:48pm
LesDef

Gidday Gentlemen,

Please concider the product in the following Web Site.

I have no affiliation.

I have use this unit on a Patrol with the Jubilee Clip arrangement which requires a hole in the exhaust pipe and some exhaust sealer.

No problems over a 4 year period.

http://www.scintex.com.au/Pyrometer-/-EGT-...-Meter-Kit

Regards LesDef
Post #324206 17th Apr 2014 1:42am
sraosha

Switzerland 
AEM Gauge + Probe
Hi,

I had ordered the AEM analogue gauge a while ago. Comes with a probe. Will fit this the next days and perhaps post a few photos.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/products/gau...play-gauge
Post #421394 5th May 2015 7:44pm
Schw8te

Germany 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Hi,

the scangauge II is able to display the EGT on 2.2 Defenders.

Create a new xgauge wth CANSF-protocol and use this parameters (metric):

TXD = 07DF013C; RXF = 0441053C0000; RXD = 2810; MTH = 0001000AFFD8; Name = EGT [Deg Celsius]

and imperial:

TXD =07DF013C; RXF=0441053C0000; RXD=2810; MTH=00090032FFD8; Name=EGT [Deg Fahrenheit]

Cheers
Det locker bleiben
Post #421474 6th May 2015 6:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>