Home > Technical > Td5 swivel fill plug square socket size
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
Td5 swivel fill plug square socket size
Hello folks,

I replaced the front discs on my 2005 Td5 (with ABS) last week, and on one side only, had a load of oil/fluid come out from the swivel after undoing the top swivel pin bolts.

As I understand that the swivel is supposed to be filled with one-shot grease only (which I presume would not run out as a oily fluid), I suspect this means that the half shaft seal has let go and axle oil has made its way into the swivel.

The problem is - this swivel housing does not have a drain or level plug. Its one of the ones with only a filler plug - which is a square size recess which I have not been able to undo. Its bigger than the 1/2" square socket drive that the axle square recess plug uses. We attempted to construct a tool from square cutting a big bolt to fit - but that just twisted when we tried to undo the plug.

Does anyone know what size square I need for this plug please? Even better - any idea where I can buy one from? My Google skills are letting me down looking for such a socket.

Thanks lads.

Chris A.
Post #415347 11th Apr 2015 11:12am
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Should be a 3/8 square , I use a long 3/8 drive ratchet to undo them and turn the hub full lock outwards. If you look in through the hole with a small LED or similar torch you should be able to see the CV joint. If you turn the hub by hand the CV should 'pick up' the grease on the way round if the level is OK.
Post #415405 11th Apr 2015 3:38pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
And just to add, I wouldn't loose sleep over the halfshaft seal. They always pass a bit anyway as when you turn lock to lock the shaft will move inwards and outwards ever so slightly and carries a bit of oil with it every time. Plus they're one of those things that you'll change and it'll be exactly the same in a fortnights time......wait until the swivels need a strip and rebuild I would.
Post #415407 11th Apr 2015 3:42pm
munch90

England 
always used a 1/2 square drive extension square end in hole and normal breaker bar
Post #415409 11th Apr 2015 3:44pm
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Hmm I could have sworn a 1/2" square drive was loose in the hole. On reflection I think I'll not mess with it, as you suggested Fatboy Slim. It doesn't appear to be leaking at the moment with the swivel done back up, and the ball is moist, so I guess there is still something inside it - saves me a job as you say until they need rebuilding.
Post #415426 11th Apr 2015 5:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1